Grub's Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Training Camp Begins

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Kind of surprised so many obvious cuts are still up, but I wonder if they are waiting for all the teams to waive their waiver eligible players to try and sneak people through.
Many of the obvious remaining cuts are waiver-exempt so it might just be a matter of keeping them around for a little more evaluation in practice, with perhaps a few even getting into Monday's game.

Abbotsford's training camp starts on Wednesday so probably the bulk of cuts will come after Monday's game with only the true bubble guys being kept around through Friday's game.

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
I wonder if Boston would be willing to do a Juulsen for Wotherspoon trade. Boston’s left side is pretty set but they could use a depth RHD considering Peeke is injury prone/healthy scratch material.

Wotherspoon would be a nice physical stay at home 6/7 D and can be insurance if and when Forbort inevitably becomes unplayable.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I wonder if Boston would be willing to do a Juulsen for Wotherspoon trade. Boston’s left side is pretty set but they could use a depth RHD considering Peeke is injury prone/healthy scratch material.

Wotherspoon would be a nice physical stay at home 6/7 D and can be insurance if and when Forbort inevitably becomes unplayable.
Kale Clague or Jake Christianson would be decent adds as well if they hit waivers

ephmrl

5th overall.
Nov 26, 2011
Victoria, BC
Surprised Pettersson made this cut. Maybe they want him to play a few more games before Abbotsford's training camp (October 2 to 5).

He seemed like he couldn't match the speed of the game at this level yet.
Likely just giving him more time to work with Foote and Gonchar before Abbotsford's camp opens.

Reactions: arttk and WTG

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
... By basically every metric, Myers outperformed Soucy defensively ...

FWIW, right now I'm happier with our depth chart's 3rd RHD (Desharnais) by quite a bit over our depth chart's 3rd LHD (Forbort) and with our highest ranked defensive prospect also being a right hand shooter, I see more of a need on the left side, which aligns with your conclusion.

I'd be interested in seeing those metrics your refer too, though. I went looking at hockey-reference.com, which probably isn't the best site for advanced stats but it is quick and easy to use. I found the following stats at 5 on 5.

Myers: Corsi Against/60 59.5 Fenwick Against/60 42.5
Soucy: Corsi Against/60 57.9 Fenwick Against/60 40.6

In total expected goals against Soucy was at 19.3, Myers at 50.2. I didn't see a way to restrict this metric to 5 on 5 play.

Now, there are obvious problems with the stats. Myers' much higher expected goals against is largely because he is a much higher event player or played with much higher event players. His expected goals for was also much, much higher than Soucy's. Also, none of those figures adjust for deployment. Myers at 5 on 5 started in the defensive zone a little higher percentage of the time than Soucy did last season, so one would expect Myers' defensive stats to be a little worse.

None of this shows who is better, but in view of the fact these don't show Myers ahead the way the metrics you refer to apparently did, I'd be interested in seeing those stats, so could you refer me to them? Thanks in advance.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
naturalstattrick @tyhee
Thanks Peen, but contrary to what I understood @Quinton Byfield to say it appears to me Soucy is ahead in almost every defensive metric on naturalstattrick, too. Since @Quinton Byfield referred to metrics showing Myers outperformed Soucy DEFENSIVELY I'm looking for defensive metrics showing Myers ahead. On naturalstattrick at 5 on 5 on ice we get:

CA/60 FA/60 SA/60 GA/60 XGA/60 SCA/60 HDCA/60
Myers 57.64 40.68 26.93 2.21 2.39 24.96 9.78
Soucy 56.22 39.10 25.02 1.82 2.16 22.69 8.51

Deployment was very similar, Myers very slightly higher starting % in the defensive zone than Soucy.

As you'll see, none of these have Myers ahead, much less showing that "By basically every metric, Myers outperformed Soucy defensively."

If one switches to individual stats, they are almost all offensive, which clearly Myers would be ahead in but which don't do anything to show Myers outperforming Soucy defensively. Aside from individual offensive stats, the individual stats show Soucy taking fewer penalties, drawing more penalties, making fewer giveways, getting more takeaways and making more hits. Myers is ahead in shots blocked/60.

So going by naturalstattrick, at least as far as I could see, Myers is most definitely not shown in basically every metric outperforming Soucy defensively.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad