Grub's Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Training Camp Begins

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

Demko:
-need to hear the quotes and not just read them
-if you watch, you can tell Demko is very optimistic
-thinks that Demko rushed himself before the playoffs
-team is good enough to handle missing time
-have told Demko no more racing back

Boeser:
-Canucks are challenging him
-Allvin isn't afraid to be blunt
-has basically told Boeser to give them another level and they will take care of him
-believe he can handle the challenge

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
The optimism over the past few weeks around Demko probably explains the lack of urgency to add another NHL goalie.
If they can somehow shed the Poolman contract, I think it is probably still wise to add Lankinen as an insurance piece. Demko's joints are made of peanut brittle.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
If they can somehow shed the Poolman contract, I think it is probably still wise to add Lankinen as an insurance piece. Demko's joints are made of peanut brittle.

Dhaliwal said they're still chasing Lankinen this morning. But the gap in contract demands hasn't changed because the Canucks don't want to waive Juulsen and Aman to make room. Personally, I'd have no issue waiving either of those guys. Definition of fringe guys.

Reactions: Sexy Necksy Garland

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

Lankinen:
-Canucks are still showing interest
-offer is under 1m
-don't want to waive Aman or Juulsen to gain cap space
-thinks Lankinen is about gaining security
-trying to wait Lankinen out
-goaltender market is quiet

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
Dhaliwal said they're still chasing Lankinen this morning. But the gap in contract demands hasn't changed because the Canucks don't want to waive Juulsen and Aman to make room. Personally, I'd have no issue waiving either of those guys. Definition of fringe guys.

I think Aman is pretty important. We have no other centers if there is an injury. Friedman I like but not vitally important. How would that work though anyway, would we carry 3 goalies and 20 skaters and then send Silovs down eventually or something ... or is Silovs not going to be healthy either?

Last edited:

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I think Aman is pretty important. We have no other centers if there is an injury. Friedman I like but not vitally important. How would that work though anyway, would we carry 3 goalies and 20 skaters and then send Silovs down eventually or something ... or is Silovs not going to be healthy either?

Depends how they feel about Raty/Sasson as we move into pre-season. Either or both could leapfrog Aman fairly quickly if they provide reliable defensive work and more offense. Aman's big boon is his PK contribution, but we're pretty flush with PK-capable forwards this year. I'm not convinced any of those guys (Aman, Friedman, Juulsen) get claimed.

David Bruce Banner

Acid Raven Bed Burn
Mar 25, 2008
Waaaaay over there
When you're watching OEL play out his career on the Leafs; blueline; and Dylan Guenther light up the Western Conference for Utah, think about what could have been in that 2021 entry draft. Jim Benning's 'retirement gift'.

We had to make a deal with the devil to get rid of Benning and if the OEL debacle was it... well, I hate it, but it had to be done.

Reactions: timw33

Reverend Mayhem

Tell me all your thoughts on God
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
If he plays like he did down the stretch and in the playoffs, he will not score 50 but he’s going to get paiiiiiid. Best hockey I’ve ever seen him play.

We had to make a deal with the devil to get rid of Benning and if the OEL debacle was it... well, I hate it, but it had to be done.

Kinda my copium at the time.

Reactions: Sexy Necksy Garland

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Boeser is a legend after last year. You have to pay the guy if he shows well again he's too important. He's our Reinhart

As far as Guenther yes that one will haunt us just as Tkachuk/Juolevi has haunted us. At the end of last year he looked like one of the best RWs in the game. Was playing without pressure and in loser time but wow he looked good.

Thank F we got Garland and he became stuck in last year. Helps soften the blow a little he's an Impact player.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003

Last time Dhaliwal said Canucks had real interest in Sprong the deal was done later that day. Could this be another one of those scenarios?

Yes, that's Dhaliwal code for they've closed the salary gap in some way. I would not be surprised if Lankinen has come down a bit, and the Canucks are more comfortable waiving somebody based on what they're seeing in camp from the depth guys.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Lankinen in the mix. Not sure if that's a good sign but better than Tolopilo or Patera if they want to make Silovs stay active in Abby at times

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Lankinen in the mix. Not sure if that's a good sign but better than Tolopilo or Patera if they want to make Silovs stay active in Abby at times
I said this elsewhere but i don't think its a big deal.

Silovs is waiver ineligible, there'd be justification in grabbing a veteran NHL G and stashing Silovs in the AHL even if Demko was healthy. They had to go 3 deep last year, might as well give themselves a full stable of horses in case they have to again, no matter the circumstances.

If this signing was about more than solid depth and injury insurance, I think it'd have been resolved well before training camp started, that they'd not risk losing their target G by grinding him down into September for league minimum

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Very curious if they actually find a way to stay out of LTIR to start the season. With Demko, and Joshua, seemingly starting on IR the only path is to trade Poolman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad