Grub's Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | The Boys of Summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
The additions of Brannstrom and Kylington together reek of desperation for the Avs
These kinds of moves are what the Avs do. Same as Florida. Find some guys unwanted by other orgs and see if they can get surplus value out of them. I would have liked one of Brannstrom or Kylington to bolster the mobility of the Canucks blueline (especially at these prices), but I get that management wants to stay out of LTIR.

As @Vector stated, the Avs also have a very precarious cap situation with Nuke and Landeskog. They can't really plan a roster. They'll just need some cheap guys to play, and in the event they need to clear cap space, Brannstrom/Kylington give them cover to move Girard.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Kylington is a decent buy low candidate but not worth losing sleep over. I'm not sold on his fit with the avs or how much potential is still there, doesn't really move the needle.

Best part for Colorado is they can now more comfortably move Girard.

Reactions: andora

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I missed those reports but I'll take your word for it. Kylington is questionable goods at this point so ya no issues with management passing on him. I would have taken a shot at him at this price but at the same time the fact that he couldn't come to terms with Calgary is a red flag.

Was all Dhali and Drance so take it as you may, but yeah every time his name was mentioned they basically said the team hadn't even contacted the agent, which means no interest. Kylington's name was brought up to them repeatedly since a lot of Canucks fans were lusting after him this summer on a similar deal to what he signed.

Last edited:
Reactions: F A N

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
I wonder if Colton shakes loose between now and the start of the season. Seems like a prime cap causality.

idk something like Poolman + Suter for Colton could work?. They save $2.4M with Poolman being LTIR. We would gain $100k in cap space.

Or if they’re desperate enough they attach a pick along with Colton for just Poolman and “clear” $4M.

Would need to clear Suter or about $1.6M in cap in thsi case

Joshua-Colton-Garland
Podkolzin-Blueger-Sherwood

Would love a move like this. Suter is good but Colton is a clear upgrade. Gives us a youngish, legit 3C at a reasonable price for 3 years.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Maybe Wolanin will finally shake the bad luck and injury bug and be that guy.

God, I was a huge Wolanin truther when he played the handful of games at the end of that season. He looked like a legit late blooming #5 NHL two way defenseman who was calm and could run the point. I can’t be the only one who was impressed by him when he finally got a chance (then got injured lol)

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
God, I was a huge Wolanin truther when he played the handful of games at the end of that season. He looked like a legit late blooming #5 NHL two way defenseman who was calm and could run the point. I can’t be the only one who was impressed by him when he finally got a chance (then got injured lol)
Story of his career. About to make the jump full time then gets injured.

Tact

Jul 9, 2006
I think that’s when “sign X cowards” originated with Wolanin lol.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
He was a controlled zone exit machine! Super bummed that didn't work out.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
Maybe Wolanin will finally shake the bad luck and injury bug and be that guy.
or not?

Count me as also kind of surprised the Canucks weren't really in on Oliver Kylington, who signed with the Avalanche for just over $1m on a one-year deal. Looking at it from the outside, it seemed to me he'd have rounded out the Canucks blueline with a guy who has some mobility and rushing ability with the puck.

But clearly the Canucks front office thought otherwise. Maybe they're thinking that as the NHL season unfolds, a d-men who's better might shake out from a team out of playoff contention. I guess given their track record in trades, you have to give them the benefit of the doubt.
yeah. instead of forbot. the D pairings could have been hughes/hronek, soucy/myers, kylington/deharnais.

There are at least 3 left shot D in Abbotsford that are better than Rathbone, so no.
who? hirose is too raw, wolanin gets hurts. whose the third?

what about cam fowler? what would the ducks want?

Last edited:

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
Why Kylington though? He offers 0 utility. He's would be a 3rd pairing liability. There's intent to getting Willander reps at the end of the year; and probably a trade deadline acquisition as well. Just feels like a wasted roster spot there's nothing special about Kylington's game.

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
yeah. instead of forbot. the D pairings could have been hughes/hronek, soucy/myers, kylington/deharnais.
I wasn't opposed to Kylington, particularly if we were going after Tanev as they played well together during the 21/22 season in Calgary. But Forbort is a much better fit stylistically and is a very good penalty killer (Kylington isn't). Injury history aside, you know what you're getting and he fills a hole that needed filling. If the rumors were true about Kylington wanting multi years at a much higher cap hit....I'm not at all surprised we weren't interested.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003

Covers this article: Looking way too far ahead: 8 Puck-moving rentals potentially available to the Canucks at or near the 2025 NHL Trade Deadline

Discussed:
Shea Theodore (see it as unlikely for several reasons, team trading to sign probably)
Marcus Pettersson (1st round pick range cost, if available, probably pure rental)
Ivan Provorov (will likely cost too much)
Olli Maatta (could be interesting because he'd be cheap and has familiarity with Hronek, had decent results with him)
Will Borgen (Drance and Dayal like him a lot)
Neal Pionk (don't think Winnipeg will be sellers, but really interesting though play has dipped and big cap hit)
Jeff Petry (don't like, not good at hockey)
Jakob Chychrun (not really discussed)

Dayal's other targets to track (prefers right-shot, lower acquisition cost options):
Cam Fowler (need retention)
Jake Walman (culture issues aside, bonafide puck mover, SJ likely sellers)
Michael Kesselring (under-the-radar, upside pick, Utah has good RS depth)
Nick Jensen (Assuming Sens sell, struggled last year, but has been efficient two-way guy)
Mike Matheson (Pettersson issue, but is a non-rental puck mover, doesn't love the fit anyway, not going to be cheap)

Both picked Kesslering as acqusition target.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

Covers this article: Looking way too far ahead: 8 Puck-moving rentals potentially available to the Canucks at or near the 2025 NHL Trade Deadline

Discussed:
Shea Theodore (see it as unlikely for several reasons, team trading to sign probably)
Marcus Pettersson (1st round pick range cost, if available, probably pure rental)
Ivan Provorov (will likely cost too much)
Olli Maatta (could be interesting because he'd be cheap and has familiarity with Hronek, had decent results with him)
Will Borgen (Drance and Dayal like him a lot)
Neal Pionk (don't think Winnipeg will be sellers, but really interesting though play has dipped and big cap hit)
Jeff Petry (don't like, not good at hockey)
Jakob Chychrun (not really discussed)

Dayal's other targets to track (prefers right-shot, lower acquisition cost options):
Cam Fowler (need retention)
Jake Walman (culture issues aside, bonafide puck mover, SJ likely sellers)
Michael Kesselring (under-the-radar, upside pick, Utah has good RS depth)
Nick Jensen (Assuming Sens sell, struggled last year, but has been efficient two-way guy)
Mike Matheson (Pettersson issue, but is a non-rental puck mover, doesn't love the fit anyway, not going to be cheap)

Both picked Kesslering as acqusition target.

As I’ve said for a few years now, people are sleeping on Gavrikov. If we’re talking about Theodore as an option then Gavrikov makes just as much sense.

Reactions: andora and TruGr1t

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Seems pretty apparent the Canucks will be trading for a d-man at some point this season......I'd be pumped about them adding a rearguard like Shea Theodore.

But for that to happen, Vegas would have to have a 'down year' and be 'sellers' at the TDL. Just can't really see that happening. I'm wondering about Wilander though. If his NCAA season were to end early at BU, would the Canucks sign him and bring him in as defensive depth?

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
A package around Hoglander for Pettersson makes a ton of sense if Pittsburgh still wants to compete with their core, or if Dubas just really likes the player.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Surprises that some posters seem down on D-Petey as a guy who might crack the Canucks blueline eventually. Just about every prospect website had him listed at 6'2" and 185 when he was drafted and he had the same listing as a 20-year old. But clearly those stats need upgrading.

I thought a read somewhere that he's now up to 6'4" and closer to 210-215. One thing is for sure, he was a physical beast in his brief appearance at Abbotsford last season. He'll hit anything that moves, comes to the aid of team-mates, It's a big year coming up for him in the AHL; but I certainly wouldn't write him off as a guy who might eventually make the blueline of the parent Canucks.

Reactions: Chiripa20 and DFAC

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Vancouver
Surprises that some posters seem down on D-Petey as a guy who might crack the Canucks blueline eventually. Just about every prospect website had him listed at 6'2" and 185 when he was drafted and he had the same listing as a 20-year old. But clearly those stats need upgrading.

I thought a read somewhere that he's now up to 6'4" and closer to 210-215. One thing is for sure, he was a physical beast in his brief appearance at Abbotsford last season. He'll hit anything that moves, comes to the aid of team-mates, It's a big year coming up for him in the AHL; but I certainly wouldn't write him off as a guy who might eventually make the blueline of the parent Canucks.

Eliteprospects and the AHL website has him at 6"4 and 209 lbs

Him and Willander should hopefully bring some much needed youth/skill into the defence in the next few years

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Given our past track record with Abby & Utica, I guess the fanbase is more in the believe it when we see it mindset. Haven't had anyone under Benning make it who spent time in Abby aside from the goalies.

And even with the new regime the past 2 seasons, who is there who has advanced? McDonaugh, they let become a free agent. Moved off Rathbone. See if any of Aman, Raty, Karlsson, Bains, Woo, McWard, etc. can stick first. Then onto Dman Petey and others like Mueller, etc.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Given our past track record with Abby & Utica, I guess the fanbase is more in the believe it when we see it mindset. Haven't had anyone under Benning make it who spent time in Abby aside from the goalies.

And even with the new regime the past 2 seasons, who is there who has advanced? McDonaugh, they let become a free agent. Moved off Rathbone. See if any of Aman, Raty, Karlsson, Bains, Woo, McWard, etc. can stick first. Then onto Dman Petey and others like Mueller, etc.
I understand that there's a still a 'Benning hangover' out there with the fan-base' in terms of prospect developments. But in fairness, Rathbone, Woo, McDonough and even Karlsson were all Benning picks or acquisitions.

On the other hand, the current regime seems to me to have done an exemplary job of finding promising young d-men at every stage of the draft. Wilander, D-Petey, Mynio and even Kudryavtsev all look like they could play in Abbotsford at the very least. And Wilander may bypass the AHL altogether.

And although they drafted and then eventually traded Hunter Brzustewicz,, has was having a breakthrough year on the OHL, which made him a valuable trade-chip to acquire Lindholm.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
As I’ve said for a few years now, people are sleeping on Gavrikov. If we’re talking about Theodore as an option then Gavrikov makes just as much sense.

You are not the first person I've seen mention that omission. Maybe send a note to the Canucks Army guys, I'm sure they'd discuss it on the pod.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I understand that there's a still a 'Benning hangover' out there with the fan-base' in terms of prospect developments. But in fairness, Rathbone, Woo, McDonough and even Karlsson were all Benning picks or acquisitions.

On the other hand, the current regime seems to me to have done an exemplary job of finding promising young d-men at every stage of the draft. Wilander, D-Petey, Mynio and even Kudryavtsev all look like they could play in Abbotsford at the very least. And Wilander may bypass the AHL altogether.

And although they drafted and then eventually traded Hunter Brzustewicz,, has was having a breakthrough year on the OHL, which made him a valuable trade-chip to acquire Lindholm.
This regimes prospects are really too young to have made the nhl. 2022 class being the first and Lekky and Dman Petey and KK are just 20. So going to take a couple more years to see them make the nhl.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
The logic and strategy of the prospects they are picking is just much much better than with Benning. We aren't getting many picks but I don't feel like we have a terrible prospect pool especially under the circumstances.

What's the scoop on Raty? I feel like he had a good 2nd half to last season but I don't watch the Abby Canucks.have no idea if this kid will make the NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad