Grub's Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | The Boys of Summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Kylington going the Drouin route. While it wouldve been nice to have him especially for that cheap he probably isnt up for the tough love approach our team has been going towards

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
To be honest I am very disappointed to see Kylington to go for so little while the Canucks missed out on this. Kylington would of been perfect for the price. It would of given the Canucks a breakout defenseman that would compliment one of out trees on defense. Kylington Forbort, Kylington Desharnais, it would of rounded out our defense quite nicely. I also think there is some upside in Kylington. Colorado got a steal here.

Reactions: andora

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
To be honest I am very disappointed to see Kylington to go for so little while the Canucks missed out on this. Kylington would of been perfect for the price. It would of given the Canucks a breakout defenseman that would compliment one of out trees on defense. Kylington Forbort, Kylington Desharnais, it would of rounded out our defense quite nicely. I also think there is some upside in Kylington. Colorado got a steal here.

Who isn't disappointed? The front office. It's been reported consistently since free agency opened they've had no interest. They obviously didn't like the player or the fit.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
The additions of Brannstrom and Kylington together reek of desperation for the Avs

They have the most precarious cap situation in the league. Is Landeskog coming back? If so when? What about Nichuskin? Currently are expected to have 8players on their roster for under 1m. They have no depth, no room to maneuver, and no idea what their roster will even look like.

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
I wonder if Colton shakes loose between now and the start of the season. Seems like a prime cap causality.

idk something like Poolman + Suter for Colton could work?. They save $2.4M with Poolman being LTIR. We would gain $100k in cap space.

Or if they’re desperate enough they attach a pick along with Colton for just Poolman and “clear” $4M.

Would need to clear Suter or about $1.6M in cap in thsi case

Joshua-Colton-Garland
Podkolzin-Blueger-Sherwood

Reactions: David71

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
I prefer the gamble on Sprong over Kylington.

They are prioritizing size and PK on the blueline and I truly believe they have every intention on getting Willander here at the end of the year. So adding a d-man at the deadline + Willander. You add Kylington it's turning in to a weird logjam.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
That's not a lot. You wonder if he left money on the table by waiting too long.

Probably a good move going to a strong team as compared to taking a muti year low value deal with a crap team. That's if he believes in himself. He is a player with one excellent season, scoring 31 points, and 4 crap ones with 35 ish games a season and 7 points.

most likely, there were reports of him looking for multi year deal and he didn't get it here.

No way he was getting a multi year deal here. I don't even think they wanted him for one. He's 183 lbs. and pretty meh all around. Mark Friedman with a little bit of offensive skill. .27 vs .14 ppg.

I think Kylington's agent f***ed him over a la Hutton.

Definitely would prefer that over Forbort.

Forbort is a far better defender in my opinion and it's pretty noticeable. Also 35 pounds and 4 inches on him. Both are concerns to play all the games either through injury or suckage.

Last edited:
Reactions: racerjoe

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Forbort is a far better defender in my opinion and it's pretty noticeable. Also 35 pounds and 4 inches on him. Both are concerns to play all the games either through injury or suckage.

Substantially better defensively, and stalwart on the PK. Kylington is an interesting player, he's obviously more offensive, but really only had one good season paired with Tanev, otherwise, he's struggled. I don't know who you would have even paired him with here ... both Myers and Desharnais seem like they'd have led to pretty sub-par defensive pairs. Forbort has at least proven, when healthy, he can anchor a third pair on the left side and reliably handle ~17 mins per game. Also, from a systems perspective, Forbort fits what Tocchet is doing way more.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Vancouver
Good deal by its pretty clear how this management team wants to build out their backend and Kylington doesn't fit their bill at all

Reactions: racerjoe

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
Substantially better defensively, and stalwart on the PK. Kylington is an interesting player, he's obviously more offensive, but really only had one good season paired with Tanev, otherwise, he's struggled. I don't know who you would have even paired him with here ... both Myers and Desharnais seem like they'd have led to pretty sub-par defensive pairs. Forbort has at least proven, when healthy, he can anchor a third pair on the left side and reliably handle ~17 mins per game. Also, from a systems perspective, Forbort fits what Tocchet is doing way more.

Yeah, I agree. I feel like people are getting a little carried away with their want of puck movers. To the point where they somewhat ignore the main part of defence is defending. Would Kylington really be able to fit our system and structure of what we're trying to do defensively?

Is Kylington even that much better than Desharnais or Forbort at moving the puck? I really don't know. Assists per game barely favor Kylington over Desharnais in his career .18 to .14, and .16 for Forbort. In his one good season the Flames were a dominant team and he was mixed in with Hanifan, Andersson, Tanev, Zadorov, and the one good year of Gudbranson :naughty:. Whereas Forbort has been a strong bottom line player for 7 seasons now.

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
what if vancouver still had jack rathbone.. wouldnt even be talking about aquiring a lhd via trade.
Count me as also kind of surprised the Canucks weren't really in on Oliver Kylington, who signed with the Avalanche for just over $1m on a one-year deal. Looking at it from the outside, it seemed to me he'd have rounded out the Canucks blueline with a guy who has some mobility and rushing ability with the puck.

But clearly the Canucks front office thought otherwise. Maybe they're thinking that as the NHL season unfolds, a d-men who's better might shake out from a team out of playoff contention. I guess given their track record in trades, you have to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Reactions: PavelBure10

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I think Kylington's agent f***ed him over a la Hutton.

Definitely would prefer that over Forbort.

Who knows. His agent is JP Barry. It's possible that he recommended Kylington to take Flames' offer while also advising that it's possible to get a longer term deal as a UFA. Ultimately, it's Kylington's decision whether or not he wants to reciprocate the loyalty the Flames have shown him.

The fact that we are discussing Kylington suggests there is a demand for him. Ethan Bear got a 2 year ~$2M contract.

Who isn't disappointed? The front office. It's been reported consistently since free agency opened they've had no interest. They obviously didn't like the player or the fit.

I missed those reports but I'll take your word for it. Kylington is questionable goods at this point so ya no issues with management passing on him. I would have taken a shot at him at this price but at the same time the fact that he couldn't come to terms with Calgary is a red flag.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
When you are coming off playing just 33 games, you're just not going to get that kind of term. Came off a great 2023 but didn't sign a new deal with Calgary.

Reactions: Mr. Canucklehead

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The fact that we are discussing Kylington suggests there is a demand for him. Ethan Bear got a 2 year ~$2M contract.
Probably shows how valued and limited the supply of RHD are. If Kylington was a right shot, instead of a left, he might have been able to do better.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Probably shows how valued and limited the supply of RHD are. If Kylington was a right shot, instead of a left, he might have been able to do better.

Well yes and no. Kylington after the 21-22 season had greater value than Bear at any time in Bear's career (save for possibly after 19-20). But that was one season and that was alongside Tanev. I think it is more about the player than the fact that he is a LHD and not RHD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad