Grub's Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | The Boys of Summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
I don't think we're gonna make a big move for a RD until we see what we have with Willander, especially since it's possible that he just walks straight onto our 2nd pairing at the end of the year.

I think we're probably gonna make a trade for some 4/5 LD type with one year left (maybe Dumoulin/Pettersson, possibly Cole at 50% retained depending on how he plays).

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
i'd rather just develop Willander and have him cost controlled.

Agreed I would not want to do that deal either. Willander looks like he will be a good player and he will be cheap for a while.

LandfiII

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Yes I was saying this, and given the choice we would rather give up the winger than the dman.
The turnaround in the organization since JR/PA/Coach Rick became a thing has changed me from a staunch never "we" guy when discussing my teams to an unabashed big "we" guy. I wasn't a "we" guy even through the Packers winning the 2011 Super Bowl or any of the exciting Jays times through the height of the Bautista era. Not in 2011! I think it's a combination of this particular Canucks group glow up and me being 42 and well past the whole trying to play it cool shit.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
The player we need is Andersson from Calgary. They are clearly rebuilding and they have had interest in Hoglander in the past. It would be worth the investment IMO. Let us hope that POD shows well and starts the season hot to free up some tradeable assets.
Depends on acquisition cost of course, but I actually think Weegar (NTC permitting) is a better target. Weegar is older and signed for 7 more years (including this coming season), but he’s a better defenseman who has been great for many years and doesn’t rely on the PP. He is cost controlled and if we’re going all in with this group he fits. The concern really is just how he ages but he is a superior Dman now and very probably for a few more years. If we are looking at a 3-4 year window he’s the guy we should target over Andersson.

Andersson is coming off an iffy season. He has two years remaining on his contract and has only really shown to be a capable #3. That’s fine and good at his current salary but he can put up points and what is he going to get in 2 years time? He has Hronek type $ potential but potentially with similar question marks. If he costs us Hoglander + pick sure. Willander? No way.

Reactions: oceanchild

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
The turnaround in the organization since JR/PA/Coach Rick became a thing has changed me from a staunch never "we" guy when discussing my teams to an unabashed big "we" guy. I wasn't a "we" guy even through the Packers winning the 2011 Super Bowl or any of the exciting Jays times through the height of the Bautista era. Not in 2011! I think it's a combination of this particular Canucks group glow up and me being 42 and well past the whole trying to play it cool shit.

I feel like the we guy portion should be a good comedy sketch.

It’s hard not to be a we guy in things like this for me. I try to live a bit in reality and some people throw out things that are just so far removed… “WE” would never.

Reactions: andora

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
I don't think we're gonna make a big move for a RD until we see what we have with Willander, especially since it's possible that he just walks straight onto our 2nd pairing at the end of the year.

I think we're probably gonna make a trade for some 4/5 LD type with one year left (maybe Dumoulin/Pettersson, possibly Cole at 50% retained depending on how he plays).

Really good points. We just squeezed this line-up under the cap and we have the Boeser and OEL hit coming up. It's not the right time to go big game hunting at this point to cover positions we already have players for.

Maybe an upgrade or longer term solution is sought out in the next two years as we navigate through the landscape.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
Really good points. We just squeezed this line-up under the cap and we have the Boeser and OEL hit coming up. It's not the right time to go big game hunting at this point to cover positions we already have players for.

Maybe an upgrade or longer term solution is sought out in the next two years as we navigate through the landscape.
And whomever internally may jump up.. it happens every year all over guys come onto the scene that werent "expected" too

I believe they believe we have several candidates that might become mid fish additions

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003

Willander is a nice piece to have in this scenario, but I think it’s more simply you won’t see them adding another chunky contract until we see how Boeser, Demko and finally Hughes shake-out.

You just committed to Hronek so he’s the #2 for the foreseeable future at that salary, and I can’t see them committing any longer-term, larger dollars at least until Boeser is concluded on way or another.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
There have been so many times where Myers just banking the puck off the glass would have been the better option for that lanky motherf***er.

And I’m still pretty okay with him being around again this season.
Yea I had almost convinced myself that having him here for one more year would be a necessary evil. A few too many 3s in that new contract of his

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Yea I had almost convinced myself that having him here for one more year would be a necessary evil. A few too many 3s in that new contract of his

It’s really just the extra year. At the time of the signing, I was hoping for a very team friendly contract and didn’t feel that’s what happened. However, after seeing what contracts got handed out to other UFAs, I’m much more comfortable.

The big worry is how the non-Hughes/Hronek pairs come together because Myers is at his best when his minutes are managed and he isn’t trying to do things he just can’t do. I do think it’ll get sorted out sooner than we think, though.

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
It’s really just the extra year. At the time of the signing, I was hoping for a very team friendly contract and didn’t feel that’s what happened. However, after seeing what contracts got handed out to other UFAs, I’m much more comfortable.

The big worry is how the non-Hughes/Hronek pairs come together because Myers is at his best when his minutes are managed and he isn’t trying to do things he just can’t do. I do think it’ll get sorted out sooner than we think, though.
I just think it’s kind of redundant having all of Forbort/Desharnais/Myers back there making a combined $6.5M. They’re all bottom pairing defenseman and I could understand signing Myers to 3 years if you don’t sign Desharnais or Forbort. At least with Forbort he’s gone after 1 year, but you still have Myers and Desharnais creating that logjam back there. Especially since Desharnais is being paid to play full time on the bottom pair as I can’t see management having a $2M player as the 7th D.

Likely what we see is a trade for a LHD top 4 defenseman that can babysit Myers. Gavrikov is an excellent option I believe you suggested.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I suspect the Canucks won't be adding to their blueline until shortly before the TDL, just like last year. Obviously there are holes in their current roster of blueliners, but they aren't serious enough to cost the Canucks a playoff spot in the Pacific, where they only have to finish third.

So looking around the league at some of the impending UFA's there bound to be a solid 'rental' or two who could shore up the Canucks blueline heading into the post season next spring.

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
Willander is a nice piece to have in this scenario, but I think it’s more simply you won’t see them adding another chunky contract until we see how Boeser, Demko and finally Hughes shake-out.

You just committed to Hronek so he’s the #2 for the foreseeable future at that salary, and I can’t see them committing any longer-term, larger dollars at least until Boeser is concluded on way or another.

If we didn't have Willander coming along it might be a more pressing issue to find a succession plan for at least one of the other 2 RD spots. As it is though there is the decent hope of Willander plus a Myers and Desharnais combo covering for 2 years if need be. Gives us one more layer of coverage so we can concentrate on other areas for now. Smart move by management imo. (we have 5 of our starting 6 D signed for the next 2 years)

Waiting for the Boeser, Garland, and OEL (2 years), money to be sorted will be the perfect timing to address the RD.

If Willander is ready next year we figure out what to do with one of Myers/Desharnais. If two years we can drop one then too. If 3 then we still have that much time to position ourselves to find the pieces to move forward.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
one thing we're finding is with expansions is there are not enough good d-men to go around and they're coming at a premium.

Reactions: andora

LandfiII

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021

Any particular reason?

Last edited:

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Any particular reason?

Mostly based on how management has been aggressive at filling holes in-season when other teams claim they can’t make any moves. If the defence struggles to move the puck even worse than we think then they’ll find a way to add a player to remedy that problem.

Reactions: LandfiII

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I just think it’s kind of redundant having all of Forbort/Desharnais/Myers back there making a combined $6.5M. They’re all bottom pairing defenseman and I could understand signing Myers to 3 years if you don’t sign Desharnais or Forbort. At least with Forbort he’s gone after 1 year, but you still have Myers and Desharnais creating that logjam back there. Especially since Desharnais is being paid to play full time on the bottom pair as I can’t see management having a $2M player as the 7th D.

Don't forget we have Soucey as well. Myers signed before July 1st. So it's not like we signed Desharnais or Forbort first. I think the idea is that Myers can still log 2nd pairing minutes. Certainly, there's no denying Myers' usage last season. Even in the playoffs he was logging 17+ ES minutes and 2+minutes on the PK. I think we all kind of put 2 and 2 together and thought bringing back Myers on a short term deal makes sense (although I was expected 2 rather than 3 years). Upgrade options were there but not much value.

I guess lost in all this is that if Descharnais sucks we don't worry about him. If he's any good, Descharnais is tradeable. If he's very good then he's probably playing 2nd pairing minutes and we might try and resign him and perhaps delay Willander making the NHL until Myers is gone.

Likely what we see is a trade for a LHD top 4 defenseman that can babysit Myers. Gavrikov is an excellent option I believe you suggested.

I think ultimately they have to. I was wondering whether we would take a run at Chychrun given his history with Tocchet but we didn't land him. The hope now is that Soucey stays healthy and he finds some chemistry with either Myers or Descharnais.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003

I’d remove Forbort since he’s LSD, and after Soucy we don’t have a lot of viable NHL options there. Myers was always going to be back since he’s RSD at a discount. Can quibble with the Desharnais signing but you’d still need to find a replacement RSD at similar salary since you plugged so much money into wing and are right at the cap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $871.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium