Grub's Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | The Boys of Summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I posted this in the other thread but Im hoping Vegas is out of it by the TDL and we acquire Theodore as a rental (or resign him since he's a local boy)
LV isn't going to just move Theo in division for futures. They'd be looking to fill an area of need or at least flip what you send them to allow another move.

Reactions: DFAC

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Vegas has a good D core and their forwards took a little hit. Hoglander/Lekkerimaki of interest as cheap forwards? I’ve been banging the Theodore drum as a half joke in here for a while, but he would turn us into a contender.

Hughes Hronek
Soucy Myers
Theodore Desharnais

Could even put him on his off hand beside Soucy where he has shown he can play.

Reactions: DFAC

jd22

Aug 16, 2008
Texel, Netherlands
That's 8.5MM of the 13MM worth of cap they'll get back from the final back breaking Suter/Parise buyouts allocated towards Faber. Obviously a much better value for your cap space, but brings into question what they were thinking signing Marcus Foligno 4MM x 4, Trenin 3.5MM x 3 , and Middelton 4.35MM when they were just about to get out of cap hell and have an insane amount of flexibility to improve.

Cap space is much more valuable when you don't have much.

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
Would love to acquire Theodore, the local would put this team over the top and definitely make the Canucks a legitimate contender.

I would give up a lot to get a defenseman of his caliber on this roster.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Would love to acquire Theodore, the local would put this team over the top and definitely make the Canucks a legitimate contender.

Blew the 2 chances to get him. Once at the 2013 draft by taking Shinkaruk a winger over a Dman. Logic would have said, D over Wingers. Especially when in the prior 5 drafts only 2 Dmen, Sauve and KConn went in the top 3 rounds and by 2013 Sauve was done his ELC and KConn dealt as part of the Derek Roy trade at the 2013 TDL.

Then, not asking for him over Scisba in the Kesler trade.

Haven't seen LV's cap, but if they are still under with him, then they probably roll into the year with him and take their chances of him leaving. Unless they can land a Forward to help them.

Should have Pietroangelo, Whitecloud and Korzack as their RHD. Left side is deep with Hanifin, Theodore, Hague, McNabb.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Rumors of Drai re-signing?

I have a feeling he will get 12.5 mil x 8 years.

For 8 years, I don't see how he gets anything less than Matthews unless he just really likes Edmonton. I mean, hey, it's in his best interest to take a haircut less but at the same time he's been grossly underpaid for years now. It really feels like this is his cash in season.

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Looking at team, contracts, and prospects, I actually think Canucks have the best future outlook of the current Pacific playoff caliber teams. Even in the worst case scenario where they're going to miss the playoffs at the deadline, they can trade Boeser and Demko for hauls, and do a quick retool.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

We're kind of capped out. Who would you offer off the roster to make it work?

Fraser28

Jan 13, 2013
Vegas has a good D core and their forwards took a little hit. Hoglander/Lekkerimaki of interest as cheap forwards? I’ve been banging the Theodore drum as a half joke in here for a while, but he would turn us into a contender.

Hughes Hronek
Soucy Myers
Theodore Desharnais

Could even put him on his off hand beside Soucy where he has shown he can play.

There’s no chance whatsoever Theodore would be on a third pairing. Way too good for that.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Looking at team, contracts, and prospects, I actually think Canucks have the best future outlook of the current Pacific playoff caliber teams. Even in the worst case scenario where they're going to miss the playoffs at the deadline, they can trade Boeser and Demko for hauls, and do a quick retool.
Can't really argue with this. They went into the off-season down some scoring on the wings; and lacking in top-four d-men. In terms of adding depth scoring up front, it's 'job done'. And although they weren't able to add a top-four d-man, they did add a lot of size and physicality to the d-corps.

The Canucks easily have the best goaltending in the Division; and adding guys like DeBrusk and Sprong to an already lethal PP, can only improve those numbers as well. So barring a catastrophic run of injuries, I jut don't see this team losing 10-12 games in a row. And will certainly be picked to compete for top-spot in the Pacific once again.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
There’s no chance whatsoever Theodore would be on a third pairing. Way too good for that.
Just because he’s listed there doesn’t mean he’s going to play the least minutes. Does this even need to be explained?

Keeping Soucy-Myers together and allowing Theodore to absolutely destroy his minutes while propping up Desharnais, or putting him beside Soucy guarantees us to be deep as hell. The ice time distribution would allow less minutes to Hughes/Hronek and Soucy/Myers too. Im convinced a puckmoving LHD is near top of the list for the season.

Fraser28

Jan 13, 2013
This is like calling Lindholm a 3rd line centre when he was getting the 2nd most ice time among forwards.

Forward lines are completely different than defensive pairs. On no planet is Theodore on a third pairing with Desharnais. You know that.

Just because he’s listed there doesn’t mean he’s going to play the least minutes. Does this even need to be explained?

Keeping Soucy-Myers together and allowing Theodore to absolutely destroy his minutes while propping up Desharnais, or putting him beside Soucy guarantees us to be deep as hell. The ice time distribution would allow less minutes to Hughes/Hronek and Soucy/Myers too. Im convinced a puckmoving LHD is near top of the list for the season.

Of course it needs to be explained. It’s moronic to list him on a third pairing with Desharnais.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
Forward lines are completely different than defensive pairs. On no planet is Theodore on a third pairing with Desharnais. You know that.

People care way too much about where a hypothetical acquisition would be listed on a line up sheet.

Reactions: Diamonddog01

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
theodore doesn't even play the left side so it'd be desharnais he was replacing. he wouldn't be paired with him

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

Yeah, it’s easier to balance the minutes of the defensive pairings where a guy can get labeled as a third pair but end up at 20 minutes or more anyway.

• Haha
Reactions: Fraser28

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Can't really argue with this. They went into the off-season down some scoring on the wings; and lacking in top-four d-men. In terms of adding depth scoring up front, it's 'job done'. And although they weren't able to add a top-four d-man, they did add a lot of size and physicality to the d-corps.

The Canucks easily have the best goaltending in the Division; and adding guys like DeBrusk and Sprong to an already lethal PP, can only improve those numbers as well. So barring a catastrophic run of injuries, I jut don't see this team losing 10-12 games in a row. And will certainly be picked to compete for top-spot in the Pacific once again.
I don't think Canucks will miss. I think they finish 2nd in Pacific behind Oilers. It's more so even if they're about to miss by deadline, the way many contracts are structured, they can do a quick and efficient retool, something Oilers and Knights cannot do, and imho I think the Kings are less likely to succeed in a retool than the Nucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad