Grub's Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | The Boys of Summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
I do wonder if they have the permission/balls/intention to ever declare it to be go time for one specific year or whatever.
Doubt they will ever go for it, the whole point is to be somewhat competitive without doing anything that will lead to them need to go through any kind of rebuild.

LandfiII

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Doubt they will ever go for it, the whole point is to be somewhat competitive without doing anything that will lead to them need to go through any kind of rebuild.

I dislike them just about equally as I do the Oilers and Leafs.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
It's a tradeoff between consistency and going for it. I'm more surprised that CAR wouldn't match the NJ offer for Pesce.
They've made the conference finals twice in that span. I don't think there is any "going for it" these days. The Blues won with a 24 goal differential in the regular season and a wildcard berth. The Panthers have back-to-back Finals appearances and one cup with good but fairly flawed teams. You can't say they did it using the Hurricanes' formula, but then no one else does.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
They've made the conference finals twice in that span. I don't think there is any "going for it" these days. The Blues won with a 24 goal differential in the regular season and a wildcard berth. The Panthers have back-to-back Finals appearances and one cup with good but fairly flawed teams. You can't say they did it using the Hurricanes' formula, but then no one else does.
My biggest issue with Carolina is that they lack that game breaker forward. It seems like a lot of things would have to break perfectly for them to win it all.
I’m surprised that they haven’t put together a package to acquire that type of forward.
I mean I agree with you that the best chance for a Cup is to have a top team for a long period of time but if you don’t have a game breaking forward you probably at least need a goalie to steal a series or two.

Reactions: LemonSauceD

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
My biggest issue with Carolina is that they lack that game breaker forward. It seems like a lot of things would have to break perfectly for them to win it all.
I’m surprised that they haven’t put together a package to acquire that type of forward.
I mean I agree with you that the best chance for a Cup is to have a top team for a long period of time but if you don’t have a game breaking forward you probably at least need a goalie to steal a series or two.

aho, svechnikov and guentzel isn't good enough for you?

LandfiII

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
My biggest issue with Carolina is that they........................(Landfill snipped this part).............................................
don’t have a game breaking forward so (Landfill added "so")you probably at least need a goalie to steal a series or two.

Two things Carolina isn't interested in acquiring on purpose(expensive). If it happens from some pocket change scratcher, sure!

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Two things Carolina isn't interested in acquiring on purpose(expensive). If it happens from some pocket change scratcher, sure!

They reportedly tried to acquire Petey. I don't agree with the criticism of Carolina here. They've drafted pretty well all things consider (of course there were some notable misses). The time they got the #2 overall pick, there wasn't a Jack Eichel type talent there. I mean they could have drafted Hughes #2, but Svechnikov was the consensus #2 pick. They had a couple of #5 picks (Lindholm and Hanifin) who they traded for Hamilton and Fox (on paper an excellent trade - in reality not so much).

We can argue over the term "gamebreaker" but I do like Aho, Jarvis, and Necas and think you can win with these players.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
I use to not mind Carolina. Kind of an underdog.

But ever since Dundon it's been a trainwreck.

Still a very good team but there's just something about them I don't like.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Aho imo is a game breaker. Same tier as Pettersson/Eichel/Nylander etc

Aho is, but he's the only one there. You need least 3 guys on that level (Florida had 4 between Tkachuk, Barkov, Reinhart, and Forsling).

St. Louis is probably the least talented team to win a Cup in the last 15 years but they had 2 guys that will be in Hall of Fame conversations (O'Reilly and Pietrangelo) plus Tarasenko at the peak of his powers.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Aho is, but he's the only one there. You need least 3 guys on that level (Florida had 4 between Tkachuk, Barkov, Reinhart, and Forsling).

St. Louis is probably the least talented team to win a Cup in the last 15 years but they had 2 guys that will be in Hall of Fame conversations (O'Reilly and Pietrangelo) plus Tarasenko at the peak of his powers.
They also rode Binnington.

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver

I think Slavin is at that level too. Burns was too but it looks like he slowed down a bit last year and at his age they can’t really count on him going forward.

Reactions: vancityluongo

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Only $400K more than Miro H. got on his deal.
Slightly more than Power, by under $200K per, but 1 year longer. $500K higher than Jake Sanderson on the AAV for the same duration.

Still another year to go on the ELC. Begins when the Parise/Suter dead caps drop down to minimal amounts.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Interesting, Faber had a similar season to Hronek where he came out of the gate like gangbusters and tailed off after Christmas. Probably at least something to do with the minutes played. He's obviously substantially younger, but fair comparable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad