Grub's Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | The Boys of Summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
It's a bad record, but not *that* bad. You're forgetting Voracek, Wennberg, Johansen, Marc Methot, David Savard, Cam Atkinson ...

Wennberg flamed out and Voracek developed in Philadelphia. Johansen wasn’t ever actually that good.

I’ll give you Atkinson, Methot, and Savard.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
I think the Metro is the worst division in hockey other than the Rangers nobody has a shot at winning the cup. I think 4 of the top 5 teams in the east are in the Atlantic.
Interesting, I definitely don't share those views. Winning the cup is rather unlikely for nearly all teams, but every team in the metro is gunning for playoffs.

I have the pacific as the worst division in hockey easily, van gonna win it again though for sure.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
cbj history is similar to the history of the canucks prior to the linden/quinn/bure era. it is a terribly run team that mostly squandered what it had.
Mclean was not a good GM for a first hire. They've fallen since upsetting the TB Lightning in 2019 Playoffs. Pushed their chips in with their ufas to be in Bread man and Bob. Never recovered from that. That was followed by Jones asking out as well. And then PLD bagging it.

CBS is supposed to be this young tech city, like Austin in TX. But, doesn't seem like it's somewhere that NHLers want to be. Waddell needs to establish some stability in that franchise. See if he can do it or not.

Well, they got that 3rd year on a bridge. Paid a bit more on the AAV, but like Ana did with Terry at $1.45 mill AAV for 3 years, betting that he breaks out by year 2 of this year and they get a great bargain in year 3 of it. But, the kid needs to get much stronger.

SelltheTeamFrancesco

Aug 11, 2015
Interesting, I definitely don't share those views. Winning the cup is rather unlikely for nearly all teams, but every team in the metro is gunning for playoffs.

I have the pacific as the worst division in hockey easily, van gonna win it again though for sure.
I think we are looking at it from two different points of view. I agree the Metro will likely be harder to make the playoffs in compared to the Pacific. But it’s a much easier road to to the conference finals. I would much rather (forgetting geographical implications) the Canucks be in the Metro than the Pacific.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I think we are looking at it from two different points of view. I agree the Metro will likely be harder to make the playoffs in compared to the Pacific. But it’s a much easier road to to the conference finals. I would much rather (forgetting geographical implications) the Canucks be in the Metro than the Pacific.
In the Metro, NYR, NJ, NYI, Car, Pitt, Phi, Wash, CBJ. I think of this group NYR is the most complete but lack a true 1C. Can't generate enough offense. D and G very strong. Car, don't trust their goaltending and they lost 2 really good top 4 Dmen in Pesce and Skjei. NYI, lack gamebreaker. NJ, injuries derailed them, so see if Markstrom can last the whole season at his age. Will need to use Allen and give Markstrom rest. Easier travel schedule should help Markstrom. See if their offense has enough from Meier, Mercer to help Hughes. Pitt, old team, lacking depth after their big guns. Phi, not enough offense and questions in net. CBJ, questions all around in net to get consistency and good play from their goalies and need Gaudreau and their vets to play well and have to develop their kids.

Vs, Pacific. Edm, McDrai will carry them but have to navigate cap constraints. Van, D depth. LV, retooling their group, but still a strong team. LA, is the goaltending going to hold up, will Byfield continue to develop and can Kopitar still keep going strong? Sea, can they bounce back? Cal, will they continue to sell off? Ana, how much will they get from their kids? SJ, still in development mode.

Pacific has more teams at the bottom of the standings in Cal, SJ, Ana than the metro most likely. NYR and Van have the best goalie in their division, so long as Demko is healthy and available. Clear edge to them over the other clubs in their division.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Anybody else feel were still gonna see a huge deal?

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
IMG_6482.jpeg

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
You know what you could do; trade Hoglander, Podkolzin, and Poolman for Laine @ 50%. Actually end up with slightly more cap space than now.

I wouldn’t do that but you could!
I would rather do garland and poolman for Laine at 50% and save the young assets for a dman, which we need more.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
on top of this type of lowball approach, Dundon (Carolina’s owner) refuses to sign players to market value and so guys like Skjei and Pesce walk for nothing instead of maybe paying $1M more like in Skjei’s case.
Yeah, and they've made the playoffs 6 straight seasons and finished with at least 111 points the last 3 without giving up draft capital. The UFA market is largely irrational and teams might be better off letting every free agent walk unless their contract represented positive value over its entire term. Carolina is the closest any team has come to doing this in the cap era and it's working pretty well.

Reactions: credulous

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Yeah, and they've made the playoffs 6 straight seasons and finished with at least 111 points the last 3 without giving up draft capital. The UFA market is largely irrational and teams might be better off letting every free agent walk unless their contract represented positive value over its entire term. Carolina is the closest any team has come to doing this in the cap era and it's working pretty well.
It's a tradeoff between consistency and going for it. I'm more surprised that CAR wouldn't match the NJ offer for Pesce.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021

carolina's thesis is clearly that more kicks at the can is better than loading up for one big kick. it hasn't worked for them so far but they've advanced past the first round of the playoffs six consecutive years including every year tulsky has been an agm

LandfiII

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
carolina's thesis is clearly that more kicks at the can is better than loading up for one big kick. it hasn't worked for them so far but they've advanced past the first round of the playoffs six consecutive years including every year tulsky has been an agm
I do wonder if they have the permission/balls/intention to ever declare it to be go time for one specific year or whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad