Grub's Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | The Boys of Summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Vancouver
Both sides really. Soucy is the only guy you could maybe elevate but he’s been bad with Hronek, and has struggled generally when bumped above 17-18 mins per game. And Myers hasn’t been great with Hughes, so that leaves Desharnais who has never really averaged much above 15 mins per game before this past post season.

Hughes and Hronek are really the only guys who should be averaging 19+ mins regularly. The trick is to get the other pairings high enough minutes not to over play them.

They managed it last year playing all of Soucy, Myers, Cole and Zadorov 17-18 mins per game.

I agree, and I think they try something like this during camp:

Hughes - Desharnais
Soucy - Myers
Forbort - Hronek

Not sure how it'll work out or how they'll spread out the minutes

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I agree, and I think they try something like this during camp:

Hughes - Desharnais
Soucy - Myers
Forbort - Hronek

Not sure how it'll work out or how they'll spread out the minutes
I could see them trying quite a few things in pre-season and they did try a few different things during the season last year. I have a hard time seeing Desharnais go suddenly from a ~15 mins per game guy to playing with Hughes, but we'll see what they can get out of him. I suspect that will be a process. Zadorov took a few turns with Hughes in the playoffs, but he's a different animal at this point.

Reactions: DFAC

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
I'm not sure I buy the talk of splitting Hughes and Hronek. I imagine the coaches will just try to play the pairings to their strengths.

Forbort/Desharnais will be the go-to PKers, get the least 5v5 minutes, and take on lots of D-zone starts.

Soucy/Myers will be the 2nd PK unit, and take on the harder 5v5 matchups whenever possible.

Hughes/Hronek will get the O-zone starts, PP minutes, and lots of 5v5 minutes.

As long as the 3rd pair can bend/not break in their 5v5 minutes, this looks like a good plan to me. If the forwards can backcheck hard, then the D can step up with their long reach and deny zone entries, forcing dump-ins. Canucks got away from this vs the Oilers in the playoffs (the momentum swings were stupid, where the Canucks could only dump it in, while the Oilers gained our blueline at will), so I'm really hoping that is one of their focal points for this season.

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
We jumped from 23 to 5th in the league

Interesting Dom has Hoglander’s value at $5.3M. Boeser valued at roughly $7.3M. Hughes $14.7M. Demko $8.2M.

Pretrt much every contract is efficient or better with Aman and Myers being negative valued contracts. Which is pretty spot on. I don’t like the Myers deal tbh, especially the term.

Last edited:

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
St

Interesting Dom has Hoglander’s value at $5.3M. Boeser valued at roughly $7.3M. Hughes $14.7M. Demko $8.2M.

Pretrt much every contract is efficient or better with Aman and Myers being negative valued contracts. Which is pretty spot on. I don’t like the Myers deal tbh, especially the term.

Would have Miller at a lot higher of a surplus than Pettersson. Although that could be factoring in Pettersson's contract is all prime years and Miller's are 30+ years.

Good to see the turnaround in this though. Instead of having basically every contract that wasn't an ELC being negative like we saw with Benning.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver

I agree with most of it except the Hoglander "surplus" - that is a pretty silly estimate. Presumably the higher ranking isn't too based on that.

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
I agree with most of it except the Hoglander "surplus" - that is a pretty silly estimate. Presumably the higher ranking isn't too based on that.
Yeah I was pretty puzzled with that as well. Garland’s value at $6M was also puzzling and Dom has him at a $1.1M surplus.

The Hughes and Demko numbers look pretty spot on and I imagine those are the types of numbers we can expect in 2 and 3 years for them. Cap should be much higher around then and the OEL penalty would only affect the 1st year of Demko’s presumable new contract.

Having Miller, Pettersson, Debrusk and Hronek locked up to today’s cap values however is going to be immense down the road.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018
Yeah it was joke. I doubt Pettersson even remembers who it was. Matheson also, called him after happened and apologized. I doubt Matheson wants to come here after he recieved death threats from Canucks fans. That you don’t forget.
Pettersson probably doesn’t remember the hit at all unfortunately.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
How is Bluegers contract only a C+? How is Aman a negative contract?

There are certain intangibles the model can't accurately predict, is my guess.

The ridiculously high evaluation of Hoglander and rather low evaluation of Joshua and Blueger tells me it doesn't factor in PK, shot blocking, hitting, etc as much as goals.

It's not perfect but I found myself agreeing with most of the contract grades.

thecupismine

Apr 1, 2007
Same players, on even bigger contracts, and the team jumps 18 spots. If anything Tocchet should use this data to show people he’s an absolute menace, and that the impact of a good coach has yet to be accurately accounted for in models.

Outside of that this doesn’t really show much.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018
The whole thing is worthless garbage
It’s useful directionally for people that aren’t familiar with a team’s players and contracts. Ironically it’s similar to +/-, really good and really bad are reasonably accurate but the in between is missing context.

Reactions: Vector

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
There are certain intangibles the model can't accurately predict, is my guess.

The ridiculously high evaluation of Hoglander and rather low evaluation of Joshua and Blueger tells me it doesn't factor in PK, shot blocking, hitting, etc as much as goals.

It's not perfect but I found myself agreeing with most of the contract grades.

It’s based on Net Rating, which is cumulative of Offensive and Defensive rating so it should take on-ice defensive results into account. Blueger is pretty much a zero offensively and is a bit older (age is a big handicap in the model even though he’s on a short-term deal). The age thing is obviously a big factor in the Miller ranking, for example. That’s also why DeBrusk’s deal probably grades well despite the length, since you theoretically don’t have a lot of decline years under contract.

I don’t really have an issue with the Joshua or Blueger ratings as they are probably both payed relatively close to fair/market contracts. Most of the new UFAs probably did take incrementally less than they could have gotten, and the model reflects that as well.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria

Interesting stuff here. Rutherford must be working the OBC to get the Canucks a better schedule. Once again (they did last year), they have a decent rest advantage in terms of B2Bs. They've also managed to get their air miles knocked down to nearly league average.

Look for a big bounce back from NJ (obviously also with the roster moves): Big rest advantage and league-low travel.

FLA, SEA and BUF really hard done by the schedule makers.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
This Canucks front-office always seems to have a surprise or two up their sleeves, and some of their biggest deals come when people are least expecting it.

So now that we're firmly in the summer doldrums of the NHL season, is this the roster the one that Canucks finally head into training camp with? Or do Rutherford and Allvin have another surprise up their sleeves?

I could easily see them moving out a forward and acquiring another d-man.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Would absolutely love to add Laine, but seems pretty impossible.
Really Columbus is jam packed with players I wish we could add.
Canucks have $216,000 in cap space, and Laine is earning $8m a season for the next two years.

Unless the Jackets were willing to swallow at least half that contract as a retention, there's not a chance in the world this player is moving anywhere in the NHL.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Laine cap is at 8.7, so for any deal he would have to get retained 50% to just start it off.

So that is 4.35, still too much for us, so let's say we trade Hoglander in the deal which saves about 1.1m, still not there.

So we need to add a "Dump" in the deal as well, and we have literally nobody to dump.

It's basically impossible for us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad