Grub's Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | The Boys of Summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
guessing we will have 2 targets around TDL, RHC and puck moving D. Wondering if we will target Giroux.
Only RHC listed is Karlsson. Everyone else a LHC.

As for D, they seriously need someone to step up like McWard, Woo, or someone else. They can keep bleeding draft capital to try to find help but it seems like similar to the 09-13 Canucks, that they aren't going to get much help from within.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
I’m not sure Fobort can keep up with the type of minutes you’d want Hronek playing in that scenario. You want him at least close to 20 mins per game. Forbort did that a few times with the Bruins but not regularly.

You probably want a way to find Soucy more minutes than Forbort.
I don’t trust Forbort Myers at all.

I’d rather roll with 4 D at that point.

Reactions: Nucker101

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Only RHC listed is Karlsson. Everyone else a LHC.

As for D, they seriously need someone to step up like McWard, Woo, or someone else. They can keep bleeding draft capital to try to find help but it seems like similar to the 09-13 Canucks, that they aren't going to get much help from within.
Well Raty can go either hand on the dot.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I don’t trust Forbort Myers at all.

I’d rather roll with 4 D at that point.

I think that’s fine as a bottom pair handling 16-17 minutes per game. Both guys have proven totally NHL-calibre in those minutes as recently as the past two seasons. The real question for me is whether Desharnais can handle more minutes. Prior to this past playoffs he has never handled even 16 mins per game consistently, and is a total wildcard in my mind. Though his playoffs were encouraging.

Last edited:

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
While I think he makes sense in some ways, he's paid 3m and I don't think the Canucks are looking are looking for someone on the right side. They've talked up Desharnais a lot, gave him a higher cap hit and some term, plus have more NHL depth on the right side with Juulsen and Friedman. I think they'll look for a two-way LD, similar to Zadorov last season. Then they can play that player with Desharnais and keep Soucy-Myers together.

Yeah. I actually liked Liljegren as a potential target to add some more mobility to our back end if the Leafs wanted to move on and rejig their blueline...But it seems very much like any improvement is more likely to be targeted on the Left side of the D now. The way they talk about Desharnais (and the contract they gave him) screams very much a guy they expect to be a fixture behind Hronek and Myers. So in theory at least, it'd be LHD that we're looking at for once. Which is an unusual frame of mind to get into.

The other guy i was intrigued by as a Hoglander deal was Justin Barron out of MTL...but again, he's a RHD, so that's probably not somewhere they'd look now.

I'm not sure of a player of similar age to Hoglander who could be available that fits that mold.

Orlov
Provorov
M. Pettersson

Are rentals that could be available.

I don't think there's any way the Canes move Orlov after losing their entire 2nd pairing this summer. :laugh:

Pettersson would be funny, and is actually a pretty solid defenceman. He's going to come at a high price though i think, and honestly...probably only "worth it" if he'd be playing with Hronek. I think he's one of those guys who kinda needs a more aggressive puck-mover on his pairing to really thrive.

Now Provorov...that's a guy i've definitely looked at as an option to upgrade the mobility on our defence and add a legitimate Top-4D to the mix at LHD. Expiring contract, and the really interesting thing is...he's pretty cheap on the cap, and could be made even cheaper with further retention. They could theoretically get him down to ~$2.4M. Which would be huge in our cap situation.

Definitely one of my top targets, and it doesn't seem like Columbus are very likely to try to hold onto him, so he seems very much available and on the market.

Martin Fehervary (Capitals) and Alexander Romanov (Islanders) fit the bill.

Romanov would be a huge get. That's a long-term Top-4 fixture right there. But for that reason, i don't see why the Isles would have even the slightest twinge of interest in trading Dobson's likely long-term "top pair" partner, on a great value $2.5M contract with RFA control remaining.

Fehervary on the other hand, falls a little bit on the opposite end of that for me. Where i'm not sure how much i'd want to lock in and commit to a guy who seems to be moving backwards a bit. But i've also never been the biggest fan of him in the first place.

He hasn’t played centre regularly in a very long time. He takes face-offs but he’s not a centre.

So you could acquire him looking for a right handed faceoff guy since he’s very good at face-offs.

He’s actually make sense in the Lindholm-mold only actually play on Pettersson’s wing.

mmmmm. Pettersson with Giroux. That'd be fun. Would easily be the most creative, high skill player he's played with here. Someone who can think the game on his level. Could be special if they could find some way to pull that off at the deadline.

I’m not sure Fobort can keep up with the type of minutes you’d want Hronek playing in that scenario. You want him at least close to 20 mins per game. Forbort did that a few times with the Bruins but not regularly.

You probably want a way to find Soucy more minutes than Forbort.

I don't think this is really that big of a deal. In fact, it probably actually simplifies things a little bit if it's:

Hughes - Desharnais
Forbort - Hronek
Soucy - Myers

In that you've got Soucy-Myers that works well and gets them both pretty appropriate minutes together. Then you simply play Hronek as much as Forbort can keep up with...then let him spend another ten minutes a night playing with Hughes, because i don't think Desharnais is going to be able to handle all of the minutes you want Hughes playing either.

Puts Foote through the works managing that on the bench, but i think any way you split Hughes/Hronek with the personnel we have now, you're going to end up with some sort of rotations/double-shifting to make the minutes all settle out as desired.

Reactions: TruGr1t

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I don't think this is really that big of a deal. In fact, it probably actually simplifies things a little bit if it's:

Hughes - Desharnais
Forbort - Hronek
Soucy - Myers

In that you've got Soucy-Myers that works well and gets them both pretty appropriate minutes together. Then you simply play Hronek as much as Forbort can keep up with...then let him spend another ten minutes a night playing with Hughes, because i don't think Desharnais is going to be able to handle all of the minutes you want Hughes playing either.

Puts Foote through the works managing that on the bench, but i think any way you split Hughes/Hronek with the personnel we have now, you're going to end up with some sort of rotations/double-shifting to make the minutes all settle out as desired.

I don’t think they have the personnel to really break up the Hughes-Hronek pairing to much of a greater degree than they did last year anyway, which was done occasionally but never for stretches. The dreaded Hughes-Myers pairing made more than a few appearances.

Rutherford and Tocchet both basically inferred this in their recent interviews. I think the plan remains to try to concoct two pairings below them that can handle 17-18 minutes like they had last year with Cole and Zadorov. Those guys are at the moment better than what we have now and they didn’t break Hughes-Hronek up last year.

They probably need one more top 4 guy to actually give that a real shot.

Last edited:

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
I think I started a shitstorm over the trades and proposals forum Lol
1721881104615.png

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
what about mike matheson? can skate the puck out. 2 way guy. but hes 30. unless vancouver is looking for someone a bit younger.

He's a good model, but he's too expensive both capwise and asset wise for how much we would use him, I think. He can also be quite flawed defensively although it seems like he's worked that out a bit in Montreal other than them playing him past exhaustion at times.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Hughes Hronek on different pairs should be a no brainer, stack them together only when necessary like the lotto line.

I don't see how that's an option with our right side depth. We already know Myers has absolutely no business being next to Hughes. Do you really want to try Desharnais or Juulsen on the first pair? Both couldn't even stay in their respective lineups over other players.

Without a pretty significant trade, we have to run Hughes/Hronek together.

Reactions: Phrasing

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
He's a good model, but he's too expensive both capwise and asset wise for how much we would use him, I think. He can also be quite flawed defensively although it seems like he's worked that out a bit in Montreal other than them playing him past exhaustion at times.

His contract is really good value, but we’d have to move a contract out to afford it. I don’t think he is bad defensively either. He’s just had to play really tough minutes for bad Florida and Montreal teams which would expose a lot of defenders in this league. Wasn’t a problem when he was playing 2nd pairing minutes in Pittsburgh. As an aside, he is a great example why those JFresh charts are garbage. Great in Pittsburgh, but is the one of the worst defensive defenders in the league when playing 25 minutes a night for Montreal.

I think he would be a great target, but I doubt Montreal is looking to trade him. Played 3rd most minutes among Dmen last year and is one of the few veteran defenders Montreal has. They aren’t going to trade him until their younger defenders can play high minutes.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I think he would be a great target, but I doubt Montreal is looking to trade him. Played 3rd most minutes among Dmen last year and is one of the few veteran defenders Montreal has. They aren’t going to trade him until their younger defenders can play high minutes.
You can't trade away all the vet Dmen while you are trying to Integrate youngsters. He's got 2 more years, so expect Montreal to keep him at least through to the 26 TDL and hope a couple of their kids really solidify top 4 spots. I'd would have thought Savard was a surefire trade option for 25 TDL but Montreal may decide after seeing the cost of RHD this off-season and them not being a top destination given media and pressure, that it may be better to sign Savard for 3 more years than try to bring someone else in.

So, really not a fit via trade given what Montreal needs to do for the development of their blueline.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I doubt there's much lingering ill will over a hit from 6 years ago. Joshua and Garland literally fought in training camp last year and were BFFs by November.

Carson Soucy's only previous suspension (prior to his BS one for the McDavid incident) came from elbowing Conor Garland in the face.

Foes quickly become friends more often than not when they're teammates.

SelltheTeamFrancesco

Aug 11, 2015
I doubt there's much lingering ill will over a hit from 6 years ago. Joshua and Garland literally fought in training camp last year and were BFFs by November.
Yeah it was joke. I doubt Pettersson even remembers who it was. Matheson also, called him after happened and apologized. I doubt Matheson wants to come here after he recieved death threats from Canucks fans. That you don’t forget.

Last edited:
Reactions: MS

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I don't see how that's an option with our right side depth. We already know Myers has absolutely no business being next to Hughes. Do you really want to try Desharnais or Juulsen on the first pair? Both couldn't even stay in their respective lineups over other players.

Without a pretty significant trade, we have to run Hughes/Hronek together.

Both sides really. Soucy is the only guy you could maybe elevate but he’s been bad with Hronek, and has struggled generally when bumped above 17-18 mins per game. And Myers hasn’t been great with Hughes, so that leaves Desharnais who has never really averaged much above 15 mins per game before this past post season.

Hughes and Hronek are really the only guys who should be averaging 19+ mins regularly. The trick is to get the other pairings high enough minutes not to over play them.

They managed it last year playing all of Soucy, Myers, Cole and Zadorov 17-18 mins per game.

Last edited:
Reactions: DFAC

The Optimist

Jun 5, 2009
2754 days of hell
I would not be surprised to see Desharnais with Hughes next year. Desharnais is told just to get the puck to Hughes every chance he can. Desharnais also has the added benefit of being a bit of a deterrent to targetting Hughes.

Reactions: sting101
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad