Grub's Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | The Boys of Summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I was thinking of this in my last post but, to me, Soderstrom is behind Podkolzin. Podkolzin at least has an NHL role as a speed bottom-6 grinder. Soderstrom wasn't able to carve out any icetime on a bad Arizona defence and doesn't really have a role in the NHL.

Yeah. Podkolzin is a guy who has taken some big steps back and looked a bit lost in his development, but he's at least easier to project to an NHL role. He's at least shown some ability to play well at that level, before derailing pretty badly. He's also still got all the tools and traits you look for in a big complementary winger. There's upside there still. And you can see how he can play a role with that roster spot on your NHL team and at least not hurt you.

With Soderstrom...he's never even managed to find any real footing in the NHL. Being at that same sort of "do or die" waivers point, he's really tough to justify trading anything significant for, as a guy who you then have to keep on your NHL roster. Where he's just a small defenceman who hasn't really established himself as anything at that level.

He's intriguing because of the draft pedigree, some puck-moving upside, and the Swedish connection means he'll always be linked here...But i have a hard time seeing how he'd even really fit here. Obviously they could use some more mobility and puck movement from the back end, but it has to be a guy who can actually defend. And with Hughes and Hronek, he's not going to see Powerplay opportunity. I'm not really sure what he brings, since he's a liability defensively 5v5. Not really in the best spot to let a guy try to flounder his way out of it either. If he couldn't claw his way to anything on Arizona's junk blueline over the last couple years, that's a huge red flag. He hasn't been blocked for opportunities.

I do think there's some merit in the idea of trying to swap Hoglander for something along the lines of Soderstrom. And hoping that Podkolzin can backfill some of that loss of Hoggy. I just don't think that's a specific target that works. Perusing if there's an actual option out there...i come up mostly empty.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Yeah. Podkolzin is a guy who has taken some big steps back and looked a bit lost in his development, but he's at least easier to project to an NHL role. He's at least shown some ability to play well at that level, before derailing pretty badly. He's also still got all the tools and traits you look for in a big complementary winger. There's upside there still. And you can see how he can play a role with that roster spot on your NHL team and at least not hurt you.

With Soderstrom...he's never even managed to find any real footing in the NHL. Being at that same sort of "do or die" waivers point, he's really tough to justify trading anything significant for, as a guy who you then have to keep on your NHL roster. Where he's just a small defenceman who hasn't really established himself as anything at that level.

He's intriguing because of the draft pedigree, some puck-moving upside, and the Swedish connection means he'll always be linked here...But i have a hard time seeing how he'd even really fit here. Obviously they could use some more mobility and puck movement from the back end, but it has to be a guy who can actually defend. And with Hughes and Hronek, he's not going to see Powerplay opportunity. I'm not really sure what he brings, since he's a liability defensively 5v5. Not really in the best spot to let a guy try to flounder his way out of it either. If he couldn't claw his way to anything on Arizona's junk blueline over the last couple years, that's a huge red flag. He hasn't been blocked for opportunities.

I do think there's some merit in the idea of trying to swap Hoglander for something along the lines of Soderstrom. And hoping that Podkolzin can backfill some of that loss of Hoggy. I just don't think that's a specific target that works. Perusing if there's an actual option out there...i come up mostly empty.

Hoglander is a far superior player than Podkolzin & Soderstrom lol it’s not even close.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
dime a dozen player. He was a healthy scratch during playoffs and regular season and was up and down the lineup.

He needs to make some serious defensive growth and also be stronger on battles.

What makes him more valuable than Daniel Spring who has been a service man going from team to team making 900 k?

Sprong can put up the same amount of goals and points as Hogs if given the same opportunity, Both need development with their play off puck and defensively.

I'd personally trade Hoglnder while his value is decent especially if we can get a young-ish Dman with top 4 potential.

There’s maybe only 12 players in the 2019 draft who have had a season better than Hoglander to date. And at 23 years old, he’s still has a lot of room to grow. Most players in their Age 22 season aren’t even playing in the NHL not to mention scoring 24 goals. Hoglander has some holes in his game, but he’s made big strides and is starting to figure it out. Development isn’t linear, and yes, he could plateau and be the next Sprong. But, he could also break out, and be a real player for us.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
Hoglander is a far superior player than Podkolzin & Soderstrom lol it’s not even close.

Maybe someone is willing to pay a strong asset along with a project for Hogs.

I just don't see why we risk it though. Maybe Hogs can score 20 again and maybe we deal him for a rental top 4 RD if we are doing great.

Maybe

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles

Before I start, you can really hear how the multiple strokes have affect Bob McCown. His words are very slow and slurred. I never found him to be a particularly engaging interviewer but he's lost any edge he had.

-key is to maintain their position and improve on their team
-sees the loss to Edmonton as an experience rather than a failure
-improvement started with the coaching staff having a plan and the respect of the players
-is not very active in talking to players
-when they saw they weren't going to keep Zadorov and Lindholm, that capspace was shifted to other players
-ended up in a position where they got more players to fill more holes
-making headway on the practice rink
-found out through free agency that there's a number of players that want to play in Vancouver
-the city sells itself; fanbase is electric
-coaching staff is a big selling point
-don't get to practice a lot because of their travel schedule
-says the long home stands and road trips are an advantage
-Canucks fly with Air Canada
-says the only downside to Vegas is that if you want to go on a walk, it's a little too hot outside
-feels the draft is in a test period
-with the success of this year's draft, nothing is cast in stone going forward
-draft format worked well before and this past one was the best there's ever been
-doesn't have a good answer for why some teams want to change the draft format
-his role during the summer is making sure everything is ready for training camp
-Allvin and Tocchet sold Sprong on signing with the Canucks
-still looking at ways to improve the team even though they are comfortable with the work they've done this off-season
-Allvin has been talking about acquiring Jake DeBrusk since he was hired in Vancouver
-powerplay has to get more consistent; some adjustments made there
-Sedins quietly help a lot of players but will be more involved in the past, particularly with the powerplay
-Sedins are kind of split between being part of the coaching staff and player development
-thought he knew the Sedins well because he followed their careers but when he arrived he found out how humble they are
-Hoglander had a lot to learn on the defensive side of the puck and the Sedins took him under their wing and cleaned up his bad habits in two months
-Sedins care about the city and the team; put the team ahead of themselves
-doesn't know if the season is too long
-feels the team is close, is capable, of winning all four rounds in the playoffs but says there are other teams capable as well
-thinks there needs to be some adjustments in how Demko approaches his workouts; Demko is probably the hardest working guy he's ever seen; is on the ice before the other players come on the ice; has probably put in enough work with Ian Clark before the other players come on the ice; between Demko, Clark, and Tocchet they need to look at how much work Demko is putting between games; Demko is probably pushing himself too hard
-back in his day, a number of goalies didn't want to stop the puck in the playoffs because it hurt so much

The practice facility is going to be the stuff of legends

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Hurricanes are dumb. They keep a tight internal CAP structure but haven't adjusted to the rising CAP and are lowballing their offers. Unless they really didn't like Pesce? I can't see why they wouldn't offer a similar deal he's a good player. Skjei is another really good player. No problem not signing one of them, but both? Their offseason has been a disaster on their blueline.

And they had the extra year of leverage with Guentzel in negotiation but decided it was best to offer the same amount of dollars over the entire length of the deal - which would be okay but not predicting a big player to woo a Guetzel is just lousy poker. Why not offer 5M more in total, that's only 625K aav per for an elite player.

The Canes are going to take a step back this year and it feels like a lot of it was avoidable. Annoying management and/or owner.

Good or bad management, that team has the 3rd best winning percentage over the last 5 years. Hard to argue with those results, despite some drawbacks to the overall design.

They did adjust the model by bringing Guentzel in this year. That's a big change. But yes, the exodus on defence will hurt them.

(I still think they make the playoffs though....)

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
The Dallas Stars are so weird.

Their drafting has been uncanny, they have an amazing goalie (most of the time), their forward group has incredible depth.

They have Heiskanen who is amazing, and Harley and Lindell who are both good.

Then they overpay Lyubushkin, pay Dumba, bring in Brendan Smith. But most hilarious of all is that 1st rounder for Nils Lundqvist. How and when did that make any sense?

Will they deal their next 1st for Soderstrom? Stay tuned.

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018
It’s not even close, Hoglander is 23 coming off 20 goals and has 10X more potential. Hoglander may hit 40 goals this year, there’s a reason the Canes were hard pressed on Hoglander instead of all the other players the Canucks were willing to include in the Necas deal. Hoglander is the real deal, excited to see where he takes his game to this season.
If Hoglander hits 40 goals next year I’ll be stroking my shit.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

Tocchet is such a good interview. The few years he's spent in media has really helped him articulate his thoughts. If you have access to The Athletic, very much worth a read.

-thinks there's a way for some players to play with more risk in their game to generate more rush and odd-man chances
-primarily is re-evaluating how to create more offense and make the safe play a little less
-started out with his non-negotiables and locking down the defensive side so there are no more easy goals against, with the players fully bought in is looking to build off that
-says a lot of the UFAs signed for a little less to play for the Canucks; they are on short term deals and are extra motivated
-believes DeBrusk is the player that should play with Pettersson
-is interested in seeing what DeBrusk could do with Miller & Boeser but specifically mentions if that could be Heinen, Sherwood, or Hoglander
-mentions Hoglander needs to improve his game to get a top-6 spot
-doesn't mention Pettersson's injury
-Pettersson has things he needs to improve and believe Pettersson realizes this now
-says a lot of the dip in production was because he had a rotating cast of wingers
-Canucks' strength coach went out to see Pettersson and said Pettersson is doing terrific
-had two conversations with Sprong before he signed
-two or three other teams interested in Sprong
-asked Sprong why he's bounced around the league and is on the bench with 5 minutes left in a game
-Sprong signed with the Canucks 4 hours after talking with Tocchet
-asked Sprong if there's a scenario where he can establish himself in Vancouver for several years
-Desharnais decision came quick because he was talking to other teams
-think Desharnais' valuable because of his size, quick feet, and believe he's got a pretty good first pass
-told Desharnais that this contract isn't his big payday, his next contract is
-started using a 3rd goalie at practice last year to lessen Demko's workload
-people are really concerned about Demko's total number of games played but says it's more than that; management of practices, his schedule, and how they travel all factor in

Last edited:

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016

Tocchet is such a good interview. The few years he's spent in media has really helped him articulate his thoughts. If you have access to The Athletic, very much worth a read.

-thinks there's a way for some players to play with more risk in their game to generate more rush and odd-man chances
-primarily is re-evaluating how to create more offense and make the safe play a little less
-started out with his non-negotiables and locking down the defensive side so there are no more easy goals against, with the players fully bought in is looking to build off that
-says a lot of the UFAs signed for a little less to play for the Canucks; they are on short term deals and are extra motivated
-is interested in seeing what DeBrusk could do with Miller & Boeser but specifically mentions if that could be Heinen, Sherwood, or Hoglander
-Pettersson has things he needs to improve and believe Pettersson realizes this now
-says a lot of the dip in production was because he had a rotating cast of wingers
-Canucks' strength coach went out to see Pettersson and said Pettersson is doing terrific
-asked Sprong why he's bounced around the league and is on the bench with 5 minutes left in a game
-asked Sprong if there's a scenario where he can establish himself in Vancouver for several years
-think Desharnais' valuable because of his size, quick feet, and believe he's got a pretty good first pass
-people are really concerned about Demko's total number of games played but says it's more than that; management of practices, his schedule, and how they travel all factor in

interesting to see how involved he is in personnel decisions.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
i love listening to Tocchet explain hockey. Snaps me out of the 'just do this' mentality I find myself in where we often turn players into gears in machinery and forget the whole teaching and human element with this sport. I love that he seems to believe he has a genuine responsibility to help players play to their best and get better.

and man, if he can work with Sprong to clean up his defensive games and habits, that's a borderline elite player.

also the Sprong vs Kuzmenko comparison is floating all over the place but an underrated problem with Kuzmenko is his English was very poor. Even with intermediaries a language barrier just makes everything a lot harder.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Which goalies were these and how were they in the league!? Shots in the regular season doesn't hurt? lol.

Players shot a lot less hard when he was a goalie and the equipment was much smaller, thinner, and covered less. They talk about a goalie who marches off the ice if any player shoots over 6'' off the ground in practice.

Bobby Hull tells a story about how he was winding up for a slapshot and when he look up Gerry Cheevers was hiding behind his defenceman instead of standing in net.

• Haha
Reactions: sandwichbird2023

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Liljegren would be a RHD of similar age to Hoglander.

While I think he makes sense in some ways, he's paid 3m and I don't think the Canucks are looking are looking for someone on the right side. They've talked up Desharnais a lot, gave him a higher cap hit and some term, plus have more NHL depth on the right side with Juulsen and Friedman. I think they'll look for a two-way LD, similar to Zadorov last season. Then they can play that player with Desharnais and keep Soucy-Myers together.

Reactions: biturbo19

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The reality is that 'wingers' are a lot easier to replace than centers or d-men. And the Canucks now have a bunch of wingers in the system--either knocking on the door from Abbotsford or selected in recent entry drafts.

So as popular a player as Hoglander is, he still could be expendable if the right deal comes along. And I'd put another fan favorite, Connor Garland, in the same category.

He had a helluva a playoffs last spring and Tocchet loves the guy. But a legit third line center who can add some offense, or a d-man who can slide into your top-four, is a far greater need right now.

Reactions: BimJenning

Horvat1C

Oct 2, 2015
While I think he makes sense in some ways, he's paid 3m and I don't think the Canucks are looking are looking for someone on the right side. They've talked up Desharnais a lot, gave him a higher cap hit and some term, plus have more NHL depth on the right side with Juulsen and Friedman. I think they'll look for a two-way LD, similar to Zadorov last season. Then they can play that player with Desharnais and keep Soucy-Myers together.

I'm not sure of a player of similar age to Hoglander who could be available that fits that mold.

Orlov
Provorov
M. Pettersson

Are rentals that could be available.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005

Man, terrific summary.

I find all sorts of stuff going on between the coaching/training staff and the players very interesting.

It's great that the strength coach was pleased with what he saw of Pettersson, but also intriguing that he made the trip in the first place. If management were confident that Pettersson was handling the off-season the right way, would the coach have bothered travelling to Sweden?

Reactions: Vector

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I looked at that at them too but didn't really see a fit for Hoglander there. Lacombe and Helleson are probably the ones most likely to be moved with Lacombe matching the closest to Hoglander.
They are drafted in the same year. Ana, unless Helleson makes the roster currently have Zell, Mint, Lacombe as their young kids to be paired with a vet in Gudas, Fowler, and Dum whom they just got from SEA.

Kind of like Mon, in that they may have too many young D ready for the NHL at the same time... Can only add so many at one time.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
They are drafted in the same year. Ana, unless Helleson makes the roster currently have Zell, Mint, Lacombe as their young kids to be paired with a vet in Gudas, Fowler, and Dum whom they just got from SEA.

Kind of like Mon, in that they may have too many young D ready for the NHL at the same time... Can only add so many at one time.

Also have Luneau, Dionicio, and Warren probably going to the AHL this season.

But my biggest problem is I don't really see how Hoglander would be a fit on their roster. Their top-9 forward spots are pretty locked in with Killorn, Terry, Carlsson, Vatrano, McTavish, Strome, Gauthier, Zegras, and Fabbri.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad