Grub's Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | The Boys of Summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
I'd offer them Klimovich or another marginal prospect and nothing more.

Yep, we can't take on a contract without giving another one up. And it would be good to get out from Klimovich still having another year on his deal since it slid twice.

Reactions: Vector

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
This is identical to the "Bear for Hoglander" rumour that popped up a couple of seasons ago. It was non-sense then and it's non-sense now.
Wasn't that Carolina's straight ask for Bear?

At times I wonder if Carolina is losing out on trades because they keep trying to extract every last bit of value from everybody. They managed to get Guentzel but I bet Dubas wasn't super happy about taking that trade.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

At times I wonder if Carolina is losing out on trades because they keep trying to extract every last bit of value from everybody. They managed to get Guentzel but I bet Dubas wasn't super happy about taking that trade.

That's exactly what it was. Carolina is known to be extremely difficult to trade with for this very reason. On the one hand it's been very good for them at extracting a lot of value without giving much up but it's also prevented them from upgrading the team with impact players.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013

But I think that's the Canes approach, lowball everyone and eventually get some deals done(apparently they do inquire about most players who are made available even if the fit for their team might not be ideal).

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
But I think that's the Canes approach, lowball everyone and eventually get some deals done(apparently they do inquire about most players who are made available even if the fit for their team might not be ideal).
I’m curious to see if that continues with their new GM (albeit one they hired within the organization).

on top of this type of lowball approach, Dundon (Carolina’s owner) refuses to sign players to market value and so guys like Skjei and Pesce walk for nothing instead of maybe paying $1M more like in Skjei’s case.

Look at this weasel:

Thinks he’s a GM

Reactions: Tact

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I’m curious to see if that continues with their new GM (albeit one they hired within the organization).

on top of this type of lowball approach, Dundon (Carolina’s owner) refuses to sign players to market value and so guys like Skjei and Pesce walk for nothing instead of maybe paying $1M more like in Skjei’s case.

Look at this weasel:

Thinks he’s a GM
You can respect Carolina's desire to not pay players into their downward years after age 33. With the except of Slavin to 39 and Aho to 35 (which isn't too bad for Aho and the drop shouldn't be that bad).

But, they've let Hamilton, TT, Ferland, Pesce, Skjei, etc just walk for nothing. But, that's where accumulating and using picks hopefully builds depth internally to replace them. Seems like for their market, and Nash is doing the same, being competitive annually is better than going for broke over 3 years and then being middling after that....

Reactions: andora

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
maybe i'm a vindictive dumbass but if somebody kept lowballing me i simply wouldn't ever give them a fair shake
I'm sure there's GM's out there like that(and the Canes are okay with that risk), but there's also desperate GM's who can't afford to be petty.

Personally I like it, the same way I like how cutthroat and sneaky teams like Vegas and Tampa are.

Do whatever it takes to build a winner.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
maybe i'm a vindictive dumbass but if somebody kept lowballing me i simply wouldn't ever give them a fair shake
I think people assume its always sinister when a player signs a disapointing deal, but it's probably a lot more collaborative. "Here's our situation, your probably worth this, but here's what we can offer you. We can check back later if the situation changes."

Rutherford was talking about it on the McCown podcast with Sprong, "He was worth more based on what he did last year, but given his situation he found himself in free agency he decided to play the long game." The Canucks can't give him salary, but they can squeeze him in and help him have a good season playing with good players on a good team to get a better deal next season. That's what they sold to him.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

Before I start, you can really hear how the multiple strokes have affect Bob McCown. His words are very slow and slurred. I never found him to be a particularly engaging interviewer but he's lost any edge he had.

-key is to maintain their position and improve on their team
-sees the loss to Edmonton as an experience rather than a failure
-improvement started with the coaching staff having a plan and the respect of the players
-is not very active in talking to players
-when they saw they weren't going to keep Zadorov and Lindholm, that capspace was shifted to other players
-ended up in a position where they got more players to fill more holes
-making headway on the practice rink
-found out through free agency that there's a number of players that want to play in Vancouver
-the city sells itself; fanbase is electric
-coaching staff is a big selling point
-don't get to practice a lot because of their travel schedule
-says the long home stands and road trips are an advantage
-Canucks fly with Air Canada
-says the only downside to Vegas is that if you want to go on a walk, it's a little too hot outside
-feels the draft is in a test period
-with the success of this year's draft, nothing is cast in stone going forward
-draft format worked well before and this past one was the best there's ever been
-doesn't have a good answer for why some teams want to change the draft format
-his role during the summer is making sure everything is ready for training camp
-Allvin and Tocchet sold Sprong on signing with the Canucks
-still looking at ways to improve the team even though they are comfortable with the work they've done this off-season
-Allvin has been talking about acquiring Jake DeBrusk since he was hired in Vancouver
-powerplay has to get more consistent; some adjustments made there
-Sedins quietly help a lot of players but will be more involved in the past, particularly with the powerplay
-Sedins are kind of split between being part of the coaching staff and player development
-thought he knew the Sedins well because he followed their careers but when he arrived he found out how humble they are
-Hoglander had a lot to learn on the defensive side of the puck and the Sedins took him under their wing and cleaned up his bad habits in two months
-Sedins care about the city and the team; put the team ahead of themselves
-doesn't know if the season is too long
-feels the team is close, is capable, of winning all four rounds in the playoffs but says there are other teams capable as well
-thinks there needs to be some adjustments in how Demko approaches his workouts; Demko is probably the hardest working guy he's ever seen; is on the ice before the other players come on the ice; has probably put in enough work with Ian Clark before the other players come on the ice; between Demko, Clark, and Tocchet they need to look at how much work Demko is putting between games; Demko is probably pushing himself too hard
-back in his day, a number of goalies didn't want to stop the puck in the playoffs because it hurt so much

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I'm sure there's GM's out there like that(and the Canes are okay with that risk), but there's also desperate GM's who can't afford to be petty.

Personally I like it, the same way I like how cutthroat and sneaky teams like Vegas and Tampa are.

Do whatever it takes to build a winner.

The bolded is the problem for the Hurricanes. They've acquired a lot of draft capital ammunition but don't do anything with it. They draft well and have a lot of nice enough prospects but, other than the Guentzel trade, haven't done anything with them. Over the last two years I went from really impressed with their strategy to really underwhelmed. Apart from Nikishin, and who knows when he's actually going to come over, their prospect pool is a mile wide but an inch deep. Lots of forwards with the same profile too. I like the idea of building a consistent contender and hanging around until the stars align but it's frequently felt like there's more they could do with their assets.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
The bolded is the problem for the Hurricanes. They've acquired a lot of draft capital ammunition but don't do anything with it. They draft well and have a lot of nice enough prospects but, other than the Guentzel trade, haven't done anything with them. Over the last two years I went from really impressed with their strategy to really underwhelmed. Apart from Nikishin, and who knows when he's actually going to come over, their prospect pool is a mile wide but an inch deep. Lots of forwards with the same profile too. I like the idea of building a consistent contender and hanging around until the stars align but it's frequently felt like there's more they could do with their assets.
I feel like the Canes overrate picks that aren't in the top 20, but other than that I think they're pretty well run considering their owner and location.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010

Before I start, you can really hear how the multiple strokes have affect Bob McCown. His words are very slow and slurred. I never found him to be a particularly engaging interviewer but he's lost any edge he had.

I think McCown could help himself up with a cleaner auto setup. His recording environment is given him a reverberating echo on top of his disability.

Rutherford the guest seemed to have a had the clearest broadcast from the three of them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vector

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
I think McCown could help himself up with a cleaner auto setup. His recording environment is given him a reverberating echo on top of his disability.

Rutherford the guest seemed to have a had the clearest broadcast from the three of them.

Or just retire from radio, or mentor someone new. Sometimes, you just have to let go.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Or just retire from radio, or mentor someone new. Sometimes, you just have to let go.
he isn't on radio - he already 'let go.' it's his own podcast. if he wants to make his podcast and people listen to him, more power to him.

Last edited:
Reactions: andora and Lindgren

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Mercer is also property of the Devils and is an RFA without arbitration rights. They’ll just sign him and I’ve seen no conclusive evidence they are even considering trading him.

Sprong is obviously free in terms of assets and Rutherford/Tocchet both have experience with the player in the past. Once again, rely on this management team’s pro scouting.
Good cheap depth, better to acquire it now than at the trade deadline when you have to give up draft picks for depth.

Not sure how much cap space we have but an NHL veteran 7th Dman would be a lot better than rolling with Juulsen/Freidman to fill in, team would take a significant hit with an injury to a Defenceman

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
dime a dozen player. He was a healthy scratch during playoffs and regular season and was up and down the lineup.

He needs to make some serious defensive growth and also be stronger on battles.

What makes him more valuable than Daniel Spring who has been a service man going from team to team making 900 k?

Sprong can put up the same amount of goals and points as Hogs if given the same opportunity, Both need development with their play off puck and defensively.

I'd personally trade Hoglnder while his value is decent especially if we can get a young-ish Dman with top 4 potential.

Hoglander is more valuable than Sprong because he is an active forechecker and does skate back hard, even if his positioning is faulty. And he is way, way better along the boards.

This is why Hoglander would be more valuable here than Sprong would be, even if both have defensive issues in their respective games.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Hoglander is more valuable than Sprong because he is an active forechecker and does skate back hard. And he is way, way better along the boards.

This is why Hoglander would be more valuable here than Sprong would be, even if both have defensive issues in their respective games.

It’s not even close, Hoglander is 23 coming off 20 goals and has 10X more potential. Hoglander may hit 40 goals this year, there’s a reason the Canes were hard pressed on Hoglander instead of all the other players the Canucks were willing to include in the Necas deal. Hoglander is the real deal, excited to see where he takes his game to this season.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
Hurricanes are dumb. They keep a tight internal CAP structure but haven't adjusted to the rising CAP and are lowballing their offers. Unless they really didn't like Pesce? I can't see why they wouldn't offer a similar deal he's a good player. Skjei is another really good player. No problem not signing one of them, but both? Their offseason has been a disaster on their blueline.

And they had the extra year of leverage with Guentzel in negotiation but decided it was best to offer the same amount of dollars over the entire length of the deal - which would be okay but not predicting a big player to woo a Guetzel is just lousy poker. Why not offer 5M more in total, that's only 625K aav per for an elite player.

The Canes are going to take a step back this year and it feels like a lot of it was avoidable. Annoying management and/or owner.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I apparently posted this on my Facebook feed 14 years ago.

IMG_7569.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad