Grub's Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Offer Sheets?!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Phrasing

Nov 16, 2007
That comment about Boeser is somewhat startling. It's a pretty harsh thing to say to an NHL player, that he stopped trying as hard because he'd reached a statistical marker. And then to make the comment public ...
More the case that he rode a high shooting percentage in the first half and then came back down to earth in the second half with the rest of the team.

Reactions: quat

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
That comment about Boeser is somewhat startling. It's a pretty harsh thing to say to an NHL player, that he stopped trying as hard because he'd reached a statistical marker. And then to make the comment public ...
It came across that way but I think it could also be taken as him having confidence in Boeser and that he feels his ceiling is even higher. He could have meant that even though he was working hard he didn’t shoot enough and deferred to others too much.
Boeser himself said he needed to prove himself and do better this year.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
The league and NHLPA let Arizona get to the cap floor by trading for multiple players that were on Robidas island and were never going to play again. I don’t know how they would let that slide but go after a team that was over the floor until a 10m dollar player tragically died weeks before training camp.

Last edited:

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
With the Joshua news and the obviousness that Demko won't be ready to start the season, it makes a lot of sense why the team will operate within LTIR to start the season.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
With the Joshua news and the obviousness that Demko won't be ready to start the season, it makes a lot of sense why the team will operate within LTIR to start the season.

it makes it even weirder they haven't just signed lankinen yet

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
it makes it even weirder they haven't just signed lankinen yet

I think that's because they want him under 1m and expect Demko to miss maybe only the first month. From what it sounds like, they will start the season on LTIR then bet that they are healthy enough to get off it at some point and bank a bit.

They could still just bite the bullet and find a way to trade Poolman.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
they don’t want to be in ltir on day 1 of the season i think

they will be though. demko was already expected out and there's no way their $400k of cap space holds up through camp given the durability of their roster. they're being wildly optimistic and unrealistic about accruing a comparatively tiny amount of cap space

they should just suck it up and sign the goalie. going into the season with a questionable demko and silovs/patera/tolopilo in goal is a recipe for a disaster

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
they will be though. demko was already expected out and there's no way their $400k of cap space holds up through camp given the durability of their roster. they're being wildly optimistic and unrealistic about accruing a comparatively tiny amount of cap space

they should just suck it up and sign the goalie. going into the season with a questionable demko and silovs/patera/tolopilo in goal is a recipe for a disaster

They are still three weeks away from the first game of the season and didn't acquire DeSmith until training camp already started. Still lots of time to sort out the goaltending and cap situation.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

-coaching staff have been planning this training camp since the playoffs
-tried to keep some players that walked away in free agency
-updated Pettersson, Miller, and Hughes on who they were signing and believes all three were excited
-all free agents they signed expressed heavy interest in playing in Vancouver and playing for Tocchet
-need Pettersson to get back to his previous level and believes he's really eager to do so
-thinks there was some relief in Pettersson after signing the contract but he took his foot off the gas a little bit
-thinks a lot of players learned how difficult the playoffs are when you are in front of fans
-belives Pettersson and Hughes learned some things from the playoffs
-believes the coaching staff will keep on players and really get them to understand that good practice habits are the foundation of team success
-checked in with Pettersson a couple of times in the summer; Pettersson came to Vancouver early and wanted to be a part of the captain's skates; extremely eager
-will know about Demko's status in the next couple of days
-Demko was ready to be medically cleared for round 3
-want 6 goalies at camp and if some of them are not ready to go will add a goalie
-training camp will have Group A & B then a younger group C
-is hard to operate in LTIR; have different ideas and options to stay out of it
-happy where they are right now
-have a club option on Tocchet's contract for next year; when the time is right will look into an extension
-Boeser is trending towards being cleared and healthy
-expects Boeser to continue where he left off
-will have to make a decision on a Boeser extension before the trade deadline
-feels like he's been on the job longer than 2 years
-thinks they are capable of winning a Stanley Cup but still feels that everything needs to go right
-different expectation for this season and other teams will be ready for them

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020

-coaching staff have been planning this training camp since the playoffs
-tried to keep some players that walked away in free agency
-updated Pettersson, Miller, and Hughes on who they were signing and believes all three were excited
-all free agents they signed expressed heavy interest in playing in Vancouver and playing for Tocchet
-need Pettersson to get back to his previous level and believes he's really eager to do so
-thinks there was some relief in Pettersson after signing the contract but he took his foot off the gas a little bit
-thinks a lot of players learned how difficult the playoffs are when you are in front of fans
-belives Pettersson and Hughes learned some things from the playoffs
-believes the coaching staff will keep on players and really get them to understand that good practice habits are the foundation of team success
-checked in with Pettersson a couple of times in the summer; Pettersson came to Vancouver early and wanted to be a part of the captain's skates; extremely eager
-will know about Demko's status in the next couple of days
-Demko was ready to be medically cleared for round 3
-want 6 goalies at camp and if some of them are not ready to go will add a goalie
-training camp will have Group A & B then a younger group C
-is hard to operate in LTIR; have different ideas and options to stay out of it
-happy where they are right now
-have a club option on Tocchet's contract for next year; when the time is right will look into an extension
-Boeser is trending towards being cleared and healthy
-expects Boeser to continue where he left off
-will have to make a decision on a Boeser extension before the trade deadline
-feels like he's been on the job longer than 2 years
-thinks they are capable of winning a Stanley Cup but still feels that everything needs to go right
-different expectation for this season and other teams will be ready for them

But no questions about the mistakes. The Russians. Signed Kuzmenko (39 goals), lots of cheers, then trades him away adding a 1st rnd, AAA RHD prospect, B defence prospect, 4th rnd pick for essentially a 12 game rental, trades Mikheyev away and adds retention, NHL player and 2nd rnd pick for a 4th rnd pick, lets the fastest player and most impactful playoff ironman defenceman, Zadorov go for a reported 275K difference.

Any concern of Boeser publicly asking for a trade 3 times or Garland? Usually players that don''t want to be there are dealt

dez

Mar 3, 2012
Trading Podz is looking like a strange one, with Joshua out to the start the year.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Trading Podz is looking like a strange one, with Joshua out to the start the year.
I don’t think they would have done this if they a. knew prior to trading podkolzin and subsequently b. knew he was going to be out for a prolonged period

because i agree there was somewhat of a natural fit there on that line.

but hey, pdg, aman, karlsson, bains, raty, lekks, sasson - guys who were in that similar tier or below last year who weren’t in the forecasted starting lineup - there’s now a night one lineup spot for them as well

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009

It was always wildly optimistic and unrealistic. Right from the first day anbody mentioned it as a possibility. Like, nobody is going to get injured? At all?
Pipe dreams.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec

We really just have to accept Podkolzin isn't anything special. For all the criticism tossed at Karlsson and Bains when they were called up, both widely outperformed Podkolzin in the AHL last year.

Even if management had known about Joshua, I doubt they keep Pod. Allvin said it outright. They didn't think he'd make it through waivers and wanted to get something before his value dropped. That more or less says they always planned to move him.

If Joshua misses any time, I think they're fine running a third line of Suter-Blueger-Garland and letting some of our other prospects battle for 4th line spots.

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
More the case that he rode a high shooting percentage in the first half and then came back down to earth in the second half with the rest of the team.
Eh, I think it's fair to say he overperformed wrt shooting, but I also agree with Allvin that the effort wasn't there from Boeser in the latter half of the season. I and others commented multiple times about Boeser's resurgence in the first half being due to his increased work ethic, and lamented his play in the second half when he seemed to regress back to his old ways. There was a specific game against the Kings late in the season where he completely disengaged from the play leading to a goal against. I'm glad he got it back in the playoffs, though.

Reactions: quat, Vector and MS

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

I didn't read too much into it. It is a long season and Boeser is a veteran. There are going to be some lulls. Plus the team was winning with the team's best players not performing at their best (with the Garland and Joshua line carrying the team).

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
I didn't read too much into it. It is a long season and Boeser is a veteran. There are going to be some lulls. Plus the team was winning with the team's best players not performing at their best (with the Garland and Joshua line carrying the team).
All those things are certainly true, but I can't recall a time when a manager has accounted for a "lull" in a veteran's performance by suggesting that his effort declined after he reached a goal total.

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
The league and NHLPA let Arizona get to the cap floor by trading for multiple players that were on Robidas island and were never going to play again. I don’t know how they would let that slide but go after a team that was over the floor until a 10m dollar player tragically died weeks before training camp.

I think you answered your own question. They'll just let them trade for players on Robidas exactly like Arizona did. Either way it's not a big deal imo. They are a simple move away.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad