Grub's Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Offer Sheets?!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Yeahh at the tdl, like every other team ..

There's an underlying sentiment the defense is incomplete or lacking this or that, which is false. Forbort a seventh dman, soucy third pair, puck mover on every pairing, Desharnais isn't it, jshultz pto, crying about Myers and his contract still, etc etc. Plenty of posts on this in multiple threads, including this one, on this very page.

It's all fan fiction, the defense is set and solid, we added huge, capable players, ideal for playoffs that fit this team and system, and also excellent PKers.
The team is very good and not looking for anything anytime soon, barring something unforseen happens in camp/ preseason.

I don't get the "Forbort is a seventh defenseman" thing at all. He certainly wasn't in Boston. Of course it's all pending his health given some injury issues, but if he's at full health he is clearly a solid bottom-pairing guy.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Canucks are weaker on the left side than the right at the moment. Would rather have Forbort as injury insurance rather than a regular. Ideally, you can get a legit 2nd pairing guy and pair them with Desharnais then treat the non-Hughes/Hronek defencemen as two 2nd pairs.

I'm more concerned with Myers staying in the top four. I want to believe this past season will be a consistent step for him but... it's Myers. That being said, I don't know Forbort well enough to

Yeah I think we all assume at some point we will unload Poolman’s contract and then get a D and a 3C.

We have both Blueger and Suter. Why would we need another 3C?

Delocatedfan

Jun 1, 2021
I feel like another goalie should be prioritized over 3c or even a top 4 dman.

Do we honestly trust Patera to possibly be a 1b at this point? I dont & would rather pick up Lankinen (sounds like he might be to expensive) or even Raanta on a PTO / league min contract.

Last edited:

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I'm more concerned with Myers staying in the top four. I want to believe this past season will be a consistent step for him but... it's Myers. That being said, I don't know Forbort well enough to

To me it’s about finding balance and being able to rest and rotate the non-top pair players. Ideally Soucy-Myers gets top-4 ice-time when the match-up dictates rather than because they are the default option.

Teams always look to improve their Centre depth for the playoffs. I think the Canucks will look for a top-4 defenceman, scoring winger, and 3rd line Centre because that’s what every team is looking for at the deadline.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I think there's a good chance the Canucks wait it out on their blueline, expecting another quality d-man or two, to shake loose around the TDL. There's always a bunch of teams that thought they had a shot at the playoffs, but find themselves below the playoff bar by early March. That's when they look to start shedding salary, or peddle some of their impending UFA's.

The Canucks pounced on Zadorov last season; and will probably do the same this year. So the blueline they have now, probably won't be entirely the one they go into the post-season with.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
I think there's a good chance the Canucks wait it out on their blueline, expecting another quality d-man or two, to shake loose around the TDL. There's always a bunch of teams that thought they had a shot at the playoffs, but find themselves below the playoff bar by early March. That's when they look to start shedding salary, or peddle some of their impending UFA's.

The Canucks pounced on Zadorov last season; and will probably do the same this year. So the blueline they have now, probably won't be entirely the one they go into the post-season with.
It 1000% isn’t the blueline we go into the post season with. Our 2025 first is already burning a hole in Allvin’s trousers.

Last edited:

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
His friday trousers
Allvin strolling into work on Fridays wearing his friday trousers...

1725850485689.png

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles

Uhh 2C playing as a 3C would be a good upgrade. Move bluegar to the 4th line and Suter as a bottom 6 winger.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Uhh 2C playing as a 3C would be a good upgrade. Move bluegar to the 4th line and Suter as a bottom 6 winger.

It would but I'd put it far down the list. Especially when that won't come cheap. Case in point, what we paid for Lindholm. Right now we have Pettersson, Miller, Blueger, Suter and Aman. We're pretty good on center depth.

A top six winger, depending how well Heinen works outs and if Hoglander shows last season wasn't a one off, would be a much bigger priority imo. Although, I'd focus on a defense upgrade first.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
It would but I'd put it far down the list. Especially when that won't come cheap. Case in point, what we paid for Lindholm. Right now we have Pettersson, Miller, Blueger, Suter and Aman. We're pretty good on center depth.

A top six winger, depending how well Heinen works outs and if Hoglander shows last season wasn't a one off, would be a much bigger priority imo. Although, I'd focus on a defense upgrade first.
Oh yeah defense upgrade is priority #1. I think we’ll probably want to get a right shot center. Obviously all of this will depend on the market and who becomes available.
No more cap friendly so no idea what’s the best way to look up next years UFA and project availability.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I wonder if they think (or hope) that Willander can make the jump and be an option as another right side body at the end of the season. Just wonder how much growth he’ll have this season.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
I wonder if they think (or hope) that Willander can make the jump and be an option as another right side body at the end of the season. Just wonder how much growth he’ll have this season.
I think they are in a wait and see mode. I think that’s the reason they aren’t committed to any D other than Hronek and Hughes. If Willander tracks well they can use their assets to target a LD. If he’s not then they will go out and get a RD.

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015

I never understand how people try to pencil top line centers in at 3C. it makes no sense. There is a salary cap and we're constantly struggling to stay under it as is. Teams can't just pick up $7 mil players for the bottom lines.

Reactions: Bourne Endeavor

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I think they are in a wait and see mode. I think that’s the reason they aren’t committed to any D other than Hronek and Hughes. If Willander tracks well they can use their assets to target a LD. If he’s not then they will go out and get a RD.

There are a lot of moving parts post-2025 on the blue line that could go a number of ways. Soucy is up in 2026; hopefully, Myers' deal is still portable. So he may be gone as well. In my mind, that's sort of the development curve they are looking at for Willander. Maybe he makes the jump next year, but the plan is probably to have him as a full-time NHLer within two years. But yes, the likelihood is either you build a second pairing around Hronek and play Willander with Hughes, or get an LS veteran partner for Willander on P2 and keep the top pairing together.

Reactions: arttk

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
I never understand how people try to pencil top line centers in at 3C. it makes no sense. There is a salary cap and we're constantly struggling to stay under it as is. Teams can't just pick up $7 mil players for the bottom lines.
playoff rentals are a thing

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

Demko:
-will have to wait and see on day one of training camp
-lots of work to do before he is 100% but is not taking shots on the ice
-not sure about pre-season games or the opening of the season
-there are some that feel he was rushed
-some think he had his knee scoped in the off-season
-recovery has been slow and steady progress
-Ian Clark was on the ice with Demko last week

Ian Clark:
-Ian Clark went to the Canucks and told them that he has issues with his knee and shoulder and doesn't want to be on the ice every day with goalies
-doesn't think Clark wanted to be a scout and wanted a higher role
-there are people that believe that Demko was pushed too hard and Clark is taking some of the blame

Goaltenders:
-out there trying to get another back-up goaltender
-don't want to pay much for a back-up
-still pursuing Lankinen
-have made Lankinen an offer under 1m
-Lankinen turned it down
-don't want to put Poolman on LTIR in order to get a back-up goalie
-have talked to Raanta's agent and offered a PTO
-Raanta is looking for a contract

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
Ian Clark:
-Ian Clark went to the Canucks and told them that he has issues with his knee and shoulder and doesn't want to be on the ice every day with goalies
-doesn't think Clark wanted to be a scout and wanted a higher role
-there are people that believe that Demko was pushed too hard and Clark is taking some of the blame

i dunno how to parse this. is he saying clark requested a less active on ice role while wanting to continue to be the goalie czar but vancouver demoted him to scout instead?

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
okay. i guess we should probably be prepared for clark to leave if he finds a team willing to let him run goalies without needing to be on ice?

Exactly. It was speculated by someone in media, and I can't remember who, that it's possible the bumped him down to create the possibility that he gets poached.

I wonder how much of this is due to the org being too f***ing cheap or Allvin & Rutherford thinks they can do it better without Clarke as a director.

Well it's not really cheapness since his contract will remain the same. They aren't paying him any less. This does allow another team to grab him and then they wouldn't be paying him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad