Grub's Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Offer Sheets?!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
I know this won’t be popular on this board, but I wonder if we can “help” Edmonton by taking Kane and the 2026 first for Poolman. I know Kane is a douche, but I do wonder if Tocchet can sort him out. I think his physicality and ability to score (diminished I know) would add to the roster. We would have to trade someone out during training camp, I think Hoglander and Garland would be the likely two. Would also us to get an additional asset and have assets to use at the deadline to make a play for a top 3 dman.

Last edited:

Wry n Ginger

Water which is too pure has no fish
Sep 15, 2010
Victoria
I know this won’t be popular on this board, but I wonder if we can “help” Edmonton by taking Kane and the 2026 first for Poolman. I know Kane is a douche, but I do wonder if Tocchet can sort him out. I think his physicality and ability to score (diminished I know) would add to the roster. We would have to trade someone out during training camp, I think Hoglander and Garland would be the likely two. Would also us to get an additional asset and have assets to use at the deadline to make a play for a top 3 dman.
I can see the allure of a player like Kane but taking a chance on an expensive player with high upside and VERY questionable overall impact (scoring vs locker room/attitude impact) just doesn't seem to be working out much these days.

I can't see Tocchet, the Sedins and our team leadership wanting any piece of Kane.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
@LemonSauceD from the last thread:
it’s widely understood DVT/blood clotting has a very high reoccurrence risk (I think it’s like 30-40% in 7-10 years). Timonnen had one in 2008 and again 2014.

Fleischmann and Jed Ortmeyer played while on blood thinners after diagnosis (Fleischmann had to use a pressurized suit for when flying) so I guess you can play while on it.

Vasilevsky had surgery for a blood clot issue but I believe it was related to a prior surgery and not trauma/genetic related. Andersen no clue if he returned while on blood thinners.

Blood clots suck. Once you’ve had them, it can be like a ticking time bomb before you have the next one and you have to be regularly checked for it as I understand it. Especially since they can come back spontaneously which is just scary as f***

Thanks for the names. Vokoun and Dupuis are other names too. But it appears that many of these cases involve some sort of blood disorder. So it appears that it is something that can be investigated and diagnosed so that a doctor can actually identify with certainty that the player has this condition that could explain the blood clots rather than a one off. So I'm thinking that this shouldn't be a situation where we risk giving a long term contract to a player that can retire suddenly without appreciating the risk.

Dupuis, notably, retired due to blood clots when JR was at the helm. So our management team has experience dealing with player(s) suffering from potentially career-threatening blood clots.

Reactions: LemonSauceD

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Dupuis, notably, retired due to blood clots when JR was at the helm. So our management team has experience dealing with player(s) suffering from potentially career-threatening blood clots.
In regards to Dupuis, he had 2 separate blood clots in 2014, the first one stemming from an injury. He had the standard treatment and returned only for the blood clot to idiopathically appear in his lung again later in the year. Something like that would undoubtedly end someone’s career. Dupuis had no genetic disorder from what I can tell.

Vokoun was interesting because when he was 10 months old, he dropped hot coffee on his pelvis and that left scar tissue that grew veins onto the side of his stomach which caused his pelvic area to form blood clots in his first diagnosis in 2006 in those veins. And as is the theme here, his blood clot returned 7 years later as DVT that nearly killed him.

Blood clots reoccurring are extremely common once you’ve had them, about a 40% chance, it appears whether you have a genetic blood disorder or not. That’s what’s particularly troubling here.

Also I’m just gonna say this now to everyone DO NOT misconstrue this as me suggesting Boeser is damaged goods or that this is my attempt at fear mongering or that we shouldn’t re sign him for this reason. It’s mindful to know the risk factors Boeser likely faces as with anyone diagnosed with blood clots.

Last edited:

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
Vokoun was interesting because when he was 10 months old, he dropped hot coffee on his pelvis and that left scar tissue that grew veins onto the side of his stomach which caused his pelvic area to form blood clots in his first diagnosis in 2006 in those veins. And as is the theme here, his blood clot returned 7 years later as DVT that nearly killed him.

Blood clots reoccurring are extremely common once you’ve had them, about a 40% chance, it appears whether you have a genetic blood disorder or not. That’s what’s particularly troubling here.

Also I’m just gonna say this now to everyone DO NOT misconstrue this as me suggesting Boeser is damaged goods or that this is my attempt at fear mongering or that we shouldn’t re sign him for this reason. It’s mindful to know the risk factors Boeser likely faces as with anyone diagnosed with blood clots.

Wow, he started drinking coffee a lot earlier than me. No wonder he was so successful, really focused at an early age. :sarcasm: Just joking, thanks for the good research here.

Seriously though, they seem to be well aware of Boeser's condition and are preaching full recovery with no problems. Definitely something to be aware of though with our past injury woes.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
Vokoun was interesting because when he was 10 months old, he dropped hot coffee on his pelvis and that left scar tissue that grew veins onto the side of his stomach which caused his pelvic area to form blood clots in his first diagnosis in 2006 in those veins.
Wat.

1723650060412.png

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver

“Vokoun was only 10 months old when he grabbed a tablecloth, dumping hot coffee on himself. The blood clot is in his right groin, near where doctors inserted a catheter during his treatment as a baby.”

"It's just a part of me right now," Vokoun said. "They're not primed to break loose or anything. They're just scar tissue right now, and they're stable."

I laughed at first but it’s fine cause im probably going to hell anyway

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
“Vokoun was only 10 months old when he grabbed a tablecloth, dumping hot coffee on himself. The blood clot is in his right groin, near where doctors inserted a catheter during his treatment as a baby.”

"It's just a part of me right now," Vokoun said. "They're not primed to break loose or anything. They're just scar tissue right now, and they're stable."

I laughed at first but it’s fine cause im probably going to hell anyway
A new nightmare just dropped.

Sami Salo is somewhere in the world clutching his pearls.

Reactions: stlwahoo

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021

Why would take the risk of having a "cancerous diva" in the locker room AND to help the team which will be one of our biggest OBSTACLES in winning a cup?

I dont see it, were not the desperate ones here but wed be taking all the risks?

Reactions: Nona Di Giuseppe

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Stolen from the main boards, this situation is comedy gold:

View attachment 901011
Zero sympathy for that pathetic franchise.

Bad enough it’s Edmonton.

Bad enough they have wasted McDrai.

But when they hired that POS Bowman, they deserve the wrath of the Gods (or whatever deity you worship).

They can eat pieces of shit for breakfast (lunch and dinner).

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Zero sympathy for that pathetic franchise.

Bad enough it’s Edmonton.

Bad enough they have wasted McDrai.

But when they hired that POS Bowman, they deserve the wrath of the Gods (or whatever deity you worship).

They can eat pieces of shit for breakfast (lunch and dinner).
That part wasn't bad but otherwise agree.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Delete this

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Stolen from the main boards, this situation is comedy gold:

View attachment 901011
Broberg, had asked for a trade before and $1.8 mill is a touch higher but a 1 year deal would allow him to be arb eligible.

Holloway doesn’t do much to get 1 year since he would not be arb eligible. Need either 4 years or be 24. And as a 2020 pick he’d only be considered 23 in 2025.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Blood clots can come from surgery as well apart from getting hit with a puck.
Two or three surgeries on his hand/wrist and then that massive back injury. Maybe he has been susceptible to clots for awhile before.

This might explain his lack of hitting. Blood thinners.

This last playoffs were the best he has ever played for the Canucks, way more hitting and shot blocking.

It is just guesses.

But I think that players, skaters, might be more at risk than a goalie who really does have a lot of padding to absorb direct contact.

It could be a one off. But where was he hit to cause the clot? He played the next game and didn't show any obvious injury.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
In regards to Dupuis, he had 2 separate blood clots in 2014, the first one stemming from an injury. He had the standard treatment and returned only for the blood clot to idiopathically appear in his lung again later in the year. Something like that would undoubtedly end someone’s career. Dupuis had no genetic disorder from what I can tell.
Dupuis' case is definitely scary but there's a legit explanation. Dupuis tore his ACL, MCL, and PCL and explained in his player's tribune article that he suffered a pulmonary embolism. Dupuis explains that his leg was immobilized during the flight and his lung wasn't getting blood supply and slowly dying. And in reality he never really recovered from that. So I'm not sure the 2nd blood clot "idiopathically" appeared since there was irreversible damage that was sustained.

Right and in Vokoun's case he was diagnosed with pelvic thrombophelibitis, a rare blood condition that created a multitude of blood clots.

Yep. The common theme seems to be the blood clot starts in the leg and goes up into the lungs if not diagnosed/treated. Chris Bosh's career was notably ended by blood clots and there was no blood disorder (although it has been speculated that his condition might have initially been misdiagnosed).

It sounds like blood clots are actually common and hockey players are at a higher risk of developing blood clots. I suspect that there are many diangosed cases that we never hear about and players simply recover from them without the public knowing.

Reactions: Vector

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
It sounds like blood clots are actually common and hockey players are at a higher risk of developing blood clots. I suspect that there are many diangosed cases that we never hear about and players simply recover from them without the public knowing.

Boeser revealing that he was diagnosed early in the series but wasn't at risk until the blood clot(s) moved is definitely proof of this.

Reactions: Peter Griffin

Horvat1C

Oct 2, 2015
If we are taking on a potential locker room disruptor I'd prefer Nichushkin over E. Kane.

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
I think it largely depends. Blood clots are common, but the size of it obviously matters. Small ones appear to be the more common types and seems to be more of a non issue like Boeser had after Game 2.

Big enough ones definitely would be known to public I would think.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
If we are taking on a potential locker room disruptor I'd prefer Nichushkin over E. Kane.

I would too if you don't consider the fact that Nichushkin has 6 more years left on his contract where as Kane only has 2. Nichushkin can easily get cleared after 6 months and his $6.125M cap hit returns. He can then play for a bit and go back to the players' assistance program whereby he would be suspended for a year and then possibly be reinstated again. He also has a NMC this year and a modified NTC in future years. And there's some signing bonuses in future years that increases the cost of a buyout.

My guess is Nichushkin does come back and plays well but there's definitely a huge risk with his contract.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
I think it largely depends. Blood clots are common, but the size of it obviously matters. Small ones appear to be the more common types and seems to be more of a non issue like Boeser had after Game 2.

Big enough ones definitely would be known to public I would think.
I understand Utah is considering Blood Clots as a possible team name for next year.

Horvat1C

Oct 2, 2015
I would too if you don't consider the fact that Nichushkin has 6 more years left on his contract where as Kane only has 2. Nichushkin can easily get cleared after 6 months and his $6.125M cap hit returns. He can then play for a bit and go back to the players' assistance program whereby he would be suspended for a year and then possibly be reinstated again. He also has a NMC this year and a modified NTC in future years. And there's some signing bonuses in future years that increases the cost of a buyout.

My guess is Nichushkin does come back and plays well but there's definitely a huge risk with his contract.

I think if Nichushkin violates his contract one more time we would be able to terminate the contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad