Grub's Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Hockey Starts Now

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
That doesn't change the fact we have finite cap. We can probably add 2 guys at the TDL, probably 1 forward and 1 D and that will cost us probably our 1st, 2nd, 4th,5th,6th,7th and B/C prospects like Klim. Unless we are getting freaking Crosby there is no reason to dangle guys like Lekk.
What if they dangled Boeser? That would change the possibilities dramatically.
Anyone playing with Miller has been scoring so losing him might not as big a deal as believed.
If done at the right time with the right team. I like looking at Columbus.
Sillinger, Johnston, Jirieck and a few others that are buried. There are few Russians but no chance here,
Buffalo might be interested
Ottawa has a few
Montreal has deep young defence
Washington

But ya, too much spent already for rentals, the farm isn't that deep or really all that good.

Lettermaki is not or ever will be a Tocchet player, he is more of a perimeter player, not a boards guy.

Remember TO's farm team was winning like crazy for years but the big club sucked.

Another question is when they make a move if they do.
When Rutherford had more say they moved 30+ goal scorer Horvat in his contract year. And they haven't waited until the TDL

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Let's be honest. They were somewhat fortunate they took EDM to game 7, and the Soucy-Myers pairing was frequently getting torched.
I don't think the Soucy-Myers was a big issue in the Edmonton series. The biggest issues were Silovs in net and Pettersson paying abysmally. If we have a healthy Demko and/or Pettersson playing as he can, then we probably advance.

Ultimately it comes down to acquisition cost for me. Either 2LD or 2RD should be looked at as positions that need to be improved. Ultimately the hope is that Willander fills that hole at RD in the near future, who do we have that can step into a top 4 role next to him? Acquiring a legit, top 4 LD that is either signed longterm or can realistically be re-signed to a reasonable contract fills a bigger longterm need in the organization and also upgrades at a position that needs it now.

Ya, I also think that management can't just keep on trading draft capital and prospects for pure rentals. I'm not opposed to it from time to time but I don't think its a viable mid to long term strategy. We need to be able to acquire players with some term or re-sign players like Vegas did with Hanifin.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
IMO they do have some fairly valuable bullets in the chamber to pay for some additions: They have 1sts and 2nds for the next two drafts, and I think Lekk should also be dangled in trade talks.

Whether they want to use those assets, or there is a player worth paying for, those are different questions.

I would absolutely trade Lekk and a 1st for a guy like Rasmus Andersson or a 1st for Gavrikov.

Unfortunately the stupid Flames and Kings look decent right now.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
I just thought of an wild outrageous trade.

Boeser AND ? for Marner? Or EP for Marner straight up? Although I think the EP idea might need a wee bit of a sweetener due to recent play.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
That doesn't change the fact we have finite cap. We can probably add 2 guys at the TDL, probably 1 forward and 1 D and that will cost us probably our 1st, 2nd, 4th,5th,6th,7th and B/C prospects like Klim. Unless we are getting freaking Crosby there is no reason to dangle guys like Lekk.
Lekk isn't an elite prospect. The Canucks are in contention mode. He absolutely should be a piece on the table.

With Allvin banking space + asking for retention, there aren't really issues about fitting an in-season addition to this year's cap sheet.

I would absolutely trade Lekk and a 1st for a guy like Rasmus Andersson or a 1st for Gavrikov.

Unfortunately the stupid Flames and Kings look decent right now.
Yep, those are the kinds of moves I'd be looking at too.

The Flames will fall off. They'll be selling.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I don't think the Soucy-Myers was a big issue in the Edmonton series. The biggest issues were Silovs in net and Pettersson paying abysmally. If we have a healthy Demko and/or Pettersson playing as he can, then we probably advance.
Petey not 100% and Demko out were definitely huge factors.

I also don't see Myers as a viable top-four defenseman for a contending team.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
How hard we go for it will depend on how the team looks in 3 months.

If things are really clicking I wouldn't be surprised if we're aggressive, especially considering the owner and POHO we have.

But you don't trade Lekk or Willander for a rental, it would have to be a long-term piece.

Late 1sts and B prospects though? That's the going rate for good rentals.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Petey not 100% and Demko out were definitely huge factors.

I also don't see Myers as a viable top-four defenseman for a contending team.
Ya, I don't really like Myers either in the top four. But I think the point stands that the Canucks were a game away from the Western Conference finals with Myers playing the 4th most minutes for the Canucks on the blueline, and as I think we can both agree, the fact that Myers was playing the 4th most minutes on the blueline wasn't the primary reason, or even secondary reason, for why the Canucks couldn't advance. Frankly, and I am really just keying in on Game 7, Juulsen as the number six was more detrimental to the Canucks then Myers as the 4th defensemen.

With all that said, I agree that Myers as your 4th defensemen is far from ideal, and I've said it repeatedly that I don't think this defense is very good, and that we are really relying on getting by playing an excellent defensive system, which unfortunately, is likely to suffocate our offense which we saw down the stretch and in the playoffs last year. But I think if they can add another top four defensemen, whether it be on the left and right side, and get a healthy Demko, then this team should be in pretty good shape to at least contend.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Lekk isn't an elite prospect. The Canucks are in contention mode. He absolutely should be a piece on the table.

With Allvin banking space + asking for retention, there aren't really issues about fitting an in-season addition to this year's cap sheet.

Yep, those are the kinds of moves I'd be looking at too.

The Flames will fall off. They'll be selling.
I never used the word elite anywhere. I just said we don't need to dangle him to trade for upgrades at the TDL unless we are getting some kind of super all star back in return. yes I also do not believe any of those guys will be available for trade anyways so that's why i said we don't need to dangle Lekk.

We are banking space and I think at most we get like players up to 4-5M in total value. that's like a marcus petterson and then maybe another forward if we go through the whole ask everyone to retain half. Like i said, we can get like 2 players, we have more than enough draft pick assets to get 2 players without dipping into trading Willander, Lekk, Dpetey and Raty.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
I'm not sold that Soucy is guaranteed to recover his form after this rough start. Last year was the first time in his career he's been able to hold down a top 4 roster spot, on a team that had zero ambition to ever rush the puck. It's not obvious to me he'll adapt to Tocchet's system this year. Not saying he won't just something to monitor.

SelltheTeamFrancesco

Aug 11, 2015
I feel like this need to be said but Myers > Soucy. Soucy is not a top 4 defence-man on a contender. If you can grab a LD2 and sign them long term I would look to trade Soucy.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
All of the bottom 4 dmen last year took turns briefly looking like a top 4 dman, but ultimately none of them were credible in that slot. It was really disappointing this summer that we locked in two bottom pairing RD with term.

Barring catastrophe, and Demko's injury currently is one, we should be looking to buy every deadline until Hughes contract is over.

That said, unless something irresistable comes up we should hold off on a big trade for now. Lankinen has been great so far but it's possible a goalie ends up being our biggest need this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad