Grub's Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Hockey Starts Now

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
I wouldn’t be so sure—it depends how he develops between now and March.

Unless he demonstrates that he has a clear path to making an NHL impact in the next 1-2 seasons, his window doesn’t really match up with this roster’s competitive window.

Trading for a verified impact player over the next 1-2 seasons over losing the chance of an impact player in 3-4 years from now is probably something Rutherford/Allvin would do given their track record.

All of this is moot though if Willander really turns the dial up. The reality is that he hasn’t done this yet.
I think you guys are overvaluing what it will take to get an impact player at TDL. We haven’t seen a blue chipper traded at TDL since like ever. We can deal our 1st,2nd,3rd, DPetey, Raty and like our next couple of 1st and 2nd before we would even contemplate trading Willander.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Man has Garland become one of my favourites. Very much the modern day Burrows on this team Always wired stirring it up and as mentioned he "gets it". Seeing him in tears of emotion last year as the fans and team became a force was pretty cool.

SelltheTeamFrancesco

Aug 11, 2015
They were our best pairing in the playoffs lol

Did an amazing job shutting down top lines.

The playoffs just occurred a couple months ago, people acting like it was 5 years ago or didn’t happen at all, bad memory or didn’t really watch the games.
They got cooked in the first round against the Predators lol. Its funny it was a tale of two series Cole-Zadorov were good against the Predators bad against the Oilers although I still think they were unlucky, Soucy-Myers were bad against the Predator good against the Oilers. Have you ever looked a there numbers in the playoffs there number were unstable they were getting extremely lucky they also created nothing offensively. There is reason why Zadorov was getting #3 minutes in the playoffs, and why they wanted to sign because they and everyone else knew that Soucy-Myers second pairing is not winning you anything unless Hughes-Hronek averages 30 mins a night.

Also saying there was a best pairing in the playoffs last year is very disnegious because they all struggled at times.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Jesus christ stop blabbering.

You wonder why you don't get any discourse around here it's because you take on 50 different arguments in one shot. How is someone supposed to respond to you? You can't stay focused on the topic at hand. It's like talking to a flat Earther. There are just so many god damn counter points no one knows where to start so they don't bother.

You'll probably 'like' this post and confuse the hell out of me.
hahhahaha i dont even know who this is too but can imagine.

Reactions: JT Milker

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Man has Garland become one of my favourites. Very much the modern day Burrows on this team Always wired stirring it up and as mentioned he "gets it". Seeing him in tears of emotion last year as the fans and team became a force was pretty cool.

Yeah my opinion of Garland has taken some crazy turns. When the trade was first made, I was curiously optimistic about what he would bring given more ice in Vancouver and the progression he'd made in Arizona.

Then I would have almost paid to get rid of him and his contract. Expendable. Spins too much lol. Does a lot of moving without accomplishing anything.

Now he's an engine for the team. Brings it every night. All heart.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
No prospects should be untouchable but I would imagine it would take a player that is a very good fit in a impact role for management to move Willander or Lekk.

Buchnevich and Guentzel were more or less the only players I'd have remotely entertained moving either of them for. That's the level we need coming back if either of them are on the table. This TDL would probably be Weeger or Andersson. No idea how we make the cap work for next season though.

Speaking of cap. I know Garland is frequently brought up as potential cap causality but I really feel it'll hurt us more to lose him. Far as I'm concerned, he should be in our long term plans.

Reactions: God

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Yeah my opinion of Garland has taken some crazy turns. When the trade was first made, I was curiously optimistic about what he would bring given more ice in Vancouver and the progression he'd made in Arizona.

Then I would have almost paid to get rid of him and his contract. Expendable. Spins too much lol. Does a lot of moving without accomplishing anything.

Now he's an engine for the team. Brings it every night. All heart.
yes same. That stretch where he was apparently wanting out and not doing much against quality opponents had me in the same place. Turns out some guys who have big passion just need to find the right levels of something worth fighting for before getting truly stuck in.

Having pride in the jersey a competitive team competent leadership can alter individual performance glad he came around and mostly glad the organization created the environment for it.

Garland is a gem

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
Speaking of cap. I know Garland is frequently brought up as potential cap causality but I really feel it'll hurt us more to lose him. Far as I'm concerned, he should be in our long term plans.

No serious person wants to move him. He puts up first line numbers at 5 on 5 while playing with depth players.

Reactions: Bourne Endeavor

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Buchnevich and Guentzel were more or less the only players I'd have remotely entertained moving either of them for. That's the level we need coming back if either of them are on the table. This TDL would probably be Weeger or Andersson. No idea how we make the cap work for next season though.

Yes that's gonna be tough one to navigate. Turning 30, smaller guy already a bit of a top6 enigma.

Probably the best 3rd liner in the NHL last year so his impact was immense especially coupled with Joshua....see what happens

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
soucy-myers will get eaten alive by certain teams in the playoffs. sure they did okay against edmonton but what if they were up against a faster team say like colorado/jersey? their forwards will easily feast on them 5 on 5. because myers is 35 and getting up their in age he will be exposed for sure. what if buffalo falters this season? would any of their dman be avaliable minus dahlin/power.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Garland gonna take a pay cut to stay.

I kind of suspect he will. Unfortunately, it's next year we have a problem, what with our OEL penalty jumping to 4.7M. Assuming Boeser and Suter resign for 8M and <2M, respectively. We only have, roughly 4.8M to fill out two forward spots and one on defense with no upgrades to the current roster.

We're basically crossing our fingers that Lekk or someone else can make the jump. Then the year after that we have Demko's renewal. Those two years of OEL are going to hurt, a lot.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
No serious person wants to move him. He puts up first line numbers at 5 on 5 while playing with depth players.
I think Garland has evolved quite a bit as a player during his time here. The early version of him was a player that did his own thing and didn’t really fit with anyone in our top 6. He is a lot more direct now and with that change, he can play with other players in the top6. I think thing right now is, how do we keep the team together if we want to retain Boeser? Somebody has to go but there isn’t anyone to move off of.

If some of us are advocating for trading for him, it’s not because he sucks, it’s because he has value now and we are hitting the point where we have to make those painful decisions

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
I kind of suspect he will. Unfortunately, it's next year we have a problem, what with our OEL penalty jumping to 4.7M. Assuming Boeser and Suter resign for 8M and <2M, respectively. We only have, roughly 4.8M to fill out two forward spots and one on defense with no upgrades to the current roster.

We're basically crossing our fingers that Lekk or someone else can make the jump. Then the year after that we have Demko's renewal. Those two years of OEL are going to hurt, a lot.
I doubt Suter will be re-signed. The Canucks will continue to find players like him and Sprong to pick up for cheap after the free agent frenzy dies down and some guys are left without a contract.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I think you guys are overvaluing what it will take to get an impact player at TDL. We haven’t seen a blue chipper traded at TDL since like ever. We can deal our 1st,2nd,3rd, DPetey, Raty and like our next couple of 1st and 2nd before we would even contemplate trading Willander.

Yeah. It'd have to be one heck of a fit with a relatively younger player with term on a solid contract to make me think they'd move Willander or Lekkerimaki.

A little while ago while Lekky was struggling, i would've believed there's a small chance he'd be part of a package...but at this point, he's still probably behind Willander as "untouchable", but more or less in the same ballpark in that he won't be moved.

They'll be far more inclined to throw all sorts of future 1sts, 2nds, 3rds, and a grab bag of whatever B/C prospects we've got left at whatever sort of deadline deals.

The only thing that makes me wonder a little bit if prices are going to get stupid...is that based on early returns for the season, there isn't looking to be that much on the market in terms of the likely "sellers". At least, not in terms of Top-4 Defencemen (either hand). That kind of thing could make for a "sellers market" and drive up prices.

Realistically, the dream is Calgary falls off as expected...which probably makes Rasmus Andersson available. Maybe even Weegar as a fit for other teams.

But other than that it's probably like:

CBJ - Provorov almost certainly available, but being one of the only guys could really jack up his price, especially when combined with how desirably cheap his contract is, and how much cheaper it could even still become for the rest of the year with further retention.

PHI - Ristolainen i'm sure would be "available" but...:laugh: Even having brought his game under control a bit more defensively, his contract is a liability, not an asset and it's an extremely rough gamble that he'll continue to at least play as a steady bottom-pairing guy when changing organizations and coaches like that mid-season and not turn right back into a complete trainwreck defensively.

PIT - If they aren't right in the picture come deadline, maybe they look to set the stage for further retooling around Croz-Geno-Letang three amigos. Maybe that means unburdening themselves of Karlsson contract (yuck). I'm sure they'd love to dump Graves contract, but it's an enormous gamble and if our management wanted that...surely they would've just overpaid Zadorov as the bigger physical presence and proven commodity with this team/staff. So Marcus Pettersson is probably the "target" for most teams there...which again, could really drive up the price of a pretty mediocre player.

NSH - Preds look like a complete dud of a team after their spending spree...but i'm not sure how much they've got to sell off, 'cause they're clearly not entering a rebuild after that previous offseason mandate. So it's just the most "meh" #4/5 Filler D in Fabbro...and maybe they'd consider moving off Alex Carrier, but i doubt he's really the sort of guy our management/coaches would target for a playoff run (because he's very smol).

ANA - Would certainly dump Dumoulin on someone, but he seems complete washed. Do they finally move Cam Fowler? He'd be a good get, but still has a lot of control over his fate if he doesn't want to go somewhere, and $6.5M isn't chump change either. Tricky to fit in for a lot of teams with another year remaining.

DET - Maybe they have a junk sale with guys like Chiarot and Holl who wouldn't be taken on waivers. :dunno:

It's just kind of looking like a potentially barren landscape at the moment.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
I doubt Suter will be re-signed. The Canucks will continue to find players like him and Sprong to pick up for cheap after the free agent frenzy dies down and some guys are left without a contract.

Unless Suter wants a bigger payday, we shouldn't let him walk either. I'd much prefer over Sprong types.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Jesus christ stop blabbering.

You wonder why you don't get any discourse around here it's because you take on 50 different arguments in one shot. How is someone supposed to respond to you? You can't stay focused on the topic at hand. It's like talking to a flat Earther. There are just so many god damn counter points no one knows where to start so they don't bother.

You'll probably 'like' this post and confuse the hell out of me.
You are correct, I start on one thing and then try to answer several other posts at the same time in one post.
I do that too often, I will try to get on and stay on one poster at a time.
thanks for the insight

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad