Grub's Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Hockey Starts Now

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024
The response all the GMs have got, according to
every insider, is “not now”. It’s a good sign that teams are already putting feelers out. Would like to see a robust market again.
Wonder what Hughes is even asking for, other than a miracle maybe. His team sucks. Matheson is probably the only player worth something. I doubt they would get rid of any of the younger players.

SopelFanThe3rd

Cock of the Walk
Oct 25, 2020
Your Mother's House.
Vancouver has a tendency to slightly underrate its defencemen and overrate its goaltending.

Defencemen leaving Vancouver have faired better on their new teams while the opposite was true for Goalies. OEL better in Florida, Gudbranson better in Pittsburgh, Frosling better in Florida, Schenn better on Preds, Cole better in Utah, Stecher better in Detroit, Hutton better in LA, but Luongo was worse on the Panthers (old), Schneider worse on the Devils, Lack worse on the Devils, Markstrom worse on the Flames.
Schneider was better on the Devils... he deserved a Vezina or two there. Luongo wasn't worse just on a worse team and older... he was amazing in his first FLA run.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
It's a weird season so far with teams that might be sellers doing better than expected. I guess the good news is that the Canucks need a L shot D this year which are somewhat easier to come by than R shot.

I'd keep an eye on Sanheim again. I wonder if making a run at Pelech or Pulock would make sense should the Islanders slide in the standings. Might be hard to make salary work for these guys though - Canucks don't have a lot of options to send salary back at this point.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
Defencemen leaving Vancouver have faired better on their new teams while the opposite was true for Goalies. OEL better in Florida, Gudbranson better in Pittsburgh, Frosling better in Florida, Schenn better on Preds, Cole better in Utah, Stecher better in Detroit, Hutton better in LA, but Luongo was worse on the Panthers (old), Schneider worse on the Devils, Lack worse on the Devils, Markstrom worse on the Flames.

These are all pretty questionable. Stecher and Hutton were overplayed in Vancouver and were due big raises in arbitration based on ice time alone. They've been nothing more than bottom pairing defencemen since.

Schenn and Cole were good here. Gudbranson isn't good anywhere. Forsling was a miss but every other team in the league made the same oversight. OEL is a 4/5 defenceman who was overpaid here.

Reactions: Peter Griffin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad