World Cup: Group F: Germany vs. Sweden, 6/23/2018

Result?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Happy for Kroos, I love his game (although he had a couple of shocking passes today).

Usually, with the big teams, if you see them scrape through some underdogs, you think they'll up their game for the KO round.
It's how I feel about France and Spain, for example (not about Brazil).

But with this Germany...? I'm not seeing it. Their midfield is literally Kroos. Others are hiding and just ditching the ball to him, noone is opening any passing lanes and it looks very awkward.
Kimmich is quality, but his decision making is very suspect. The full backs are stupidly high again, and Sweden could've massacred them in the first half.
Werner is promising, but he's not world class yet - and even though Gomez is an inferior player, his style may suit this line up better.
Müller is miles away from the goal, and that's most of his game - ability to pop up in the right spots and bang one in.

Don't get me wrong, they deserved the win, they went all in with 10 players - but they have a lot of issues.
A lot of players from 2014 are either not here or are in bad shape, off form etc. And tactically, they seem to be off as well - they're getting absolutely destroyed on the counters.

Reactions: Eisen

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Germans relentless during that 2nd half. Sweden will think they deserved a better fate but the scoreline flatters them. Awful sub choices, awful tending (punching out catchable balls). Germany is a team with a few world class pieces, but their back line leaves a lot to be desired. A team like Spain or Brazil will exploit the hell out of them.

Also, the parking the bus strategy has rarely worked this WC. No surprise to see many teams conceding in the dying minutes- when you are "switching off" mentally. I remember our team doing that a few times...you think you have the result, legs get heavier knowing the end is near, intensity wears off and you begin making a bunch of mental errors.

Reactions: Uncle Rotter

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Muller was crap.
Kimmich too tbh.
Brandt was a positive and should start.
Germany deserved the win in the end but could have lost it too.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
I'm afraid of that German team. Do you think they've been playing good?
Not at all. But there is enough pressure on them to change the lineup. You can't tell me that Löw would have subbed Khedira and Özil if there is no pressure from the local press. And if a fire is lit under Kroos' butt, the talent would be there to go far. Brandt will start in this WC.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Kroos makes up for his 1st half blunder. Not happy overall but a hell of an effort down to 10. Now they have to crush S Korea. I wish I could have confidence in that happening...

South Korea is bloody awful. Germany will absolutely destroy them (4-0, 6-0?).

canuckster19

Former CDC Mod
Sep 23, 2008
Gothenburg Sweden
LOL, where the eff did those 5 minutes come from? Germany already substituted twice before the second half began.

2 minutes for the subs and not even 1 for the German goal since that was at most half a minute lost.

So two and a half minutes for Boatengs red? LOL, ludicrous.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
So my dad got dizzy about an hour & a half into his bike ride and called me to go pick him up, right around the 15 minute mark. As we’re driving back 35 f***ing minutes later, my sister texts me that the swedes just scored, I tell her to stop but she keeps sending text after text even though that little bitch had been chatting with my dad about how she couldn’t believe I was actually coming to get him during the game. Eventually, we get back, unload his bike, get him some water, etc.; and I get back to the game from where I had paused it when he called, with the rest of the half semi-spoiled...and I just gave my dog a heart attack as I finally reached the end.

Hopefully, Jogi is fired tomorrow and both Khedira & Draxler are just sent home right away. They clearly can't wait for their vacations and the NT shouldn't continue depriving them of their well earned time off from playing. If that happens, and we bring in that third CB or midfielder that we so desperately need tactically, we’ll be gucci.

Oh and if Gundogan doesn’t start every match from now on, we need to fire the coach even if it’s Jogi’s replacement. Just keep firing them until they stop being Pejorative Slured.

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
Apparantly the first group stage game Sweden has lost in the World Cup since 1990(didn't qualify for 2010 and 2014) :laugh:

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Half my posts disappear, the other half show up at random intervals. This forum is broken.

Anyway, I didn't Gundogan played that well. You can tell he's lost that burst that used to make him so dangerous. He's not a great defender, so replacing Rudy with him isn't like for like, you're again unbalanced and without the necessary cover.

Bure80

Jun 27, 2011
Oh and if Gundogan doesn’t start every match from now on, we need to fire the coach even if it’s Jogi’s replacement. Just keep firing them until they stop being ******ed.

Gündogan was not a factor in this match. He has no self confidence in the NT. He just plays safe passes. This decision from Löw is understandable.

Reactions: LemmyUlanov55

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
So I think these are the scenarios:

Germany would be through with a win. Germany is through with a draw if Sweden also draws while scoring the same number of goals for or fewer or if Sweden loses. Germany is through with a loss is Sweden also loses by more goals, or loses by the same number and doesn’t score more goals for than Germany.

Mexico is through with a win or draw. They’re also through with a loss and Germany failing to win.

Sweden is through with a win. They’re also through with a draw and a German loss or a German draw if Germany scores fewer goals than Sweden. They’re through with a loss of its either by fewer goals than a German loss or if Germany loses and scores fewer goals for than Sweden.

South Korea would be through with a win and a Sweden loss if one of them is by multiple goals. Otherwise they’re out.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
so basically what has to happen now for Germany to not make it out of group?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Simply incredible finish. Kroos with vindication for his brutal turnover on the lone Sweden goal.

Such drama and Germany managing to win in extra time while down to 10 men. More impressive is Germany almost scoring 4 times while short.

One could say Sweden could deserve better but on merit Germany deserved to be winning this match.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Loew's hide is once again saved by the individual skill of his super squad, what a pathetically predictable performance this was. Sweden's unskilled anti-football almost managed to draw them which is quite sad.

I say predictable because the insistence of moving the ball laterally/horizontally instead of vertically was awful. Why are you continuously trying to deliver crosses against a Swedish team with like 6-8 players in the box? I don't like Gomez 2018 but if you do this then you have to have him on AND when they did put him on, they kept playing these low balls instead of actual crosses. I could get into issues with the line-up but the talent alone was more than enough to beat Sweden yet this German team could barely even get a shot on goal in the first half because of how they were set up. Everything is so friggin compressed and they didn't learn their lesson, the CBs were playing far too high up again and almost got caught. Why do they refuse to spread the ball out back and forth instead of continuously doing it right/left? Draxler over Ozil was bad and the fact that striker Timo Werner played better as a winger than him was worse. Muller was once again useless because he's horribly out of form and for some reason was playing wide despite needing to be on the box with his taller presence. I can't understand the point of even starting Hector, if you aren't going to use your full-back to actually defend then might as well just start a winger there who can contribute offensively and go with three at the back.

Korea aren't a good team so now I do expect the Germans to go through but let's be honest here, they're not gonna get far like this. This team almost needs to be knocked out to get a proper coach in here.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I wish I could contribute more right now, but as others have stated, the forum is so @#$%ed for the time being. Posts show up in a different order every time I load or refresh...what a calamity.

Anyway, with Boateng having to miss S Korea, and doubtful Low will go with a back three, my hopeful line up is...

Neuer
Kimmich-Sule-Hummels-Hector
Rudy-Kroos
Brandt-???-Reus
Werner

I just have no idea who should be AM anymore...there doesn't seem to be a good option. I'd like Goretzka as a fast and tall option against a shorter side though.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
That would be my back 4 to, but I'd play Kroos, Gundogan & Goretzka behind Brandt, Werner & Özil or Reus.

Brandt - Werner
Özil
LeGo - Kroos - Gundo
Hector - Mats - Süle - Kimmich
Neuer​

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad