• Ukraine

Votes: 4 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
1718627930468.png

The official Ukrainian shirt for this game. Slight problem: that's not Romania's flag...

Big "good evening Budapest" energy haha

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Apparently many Romanian Ultras we not let in the country and some have been arrested.

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Apparently many Romanian Ultras we not let in the country and some have been arrested.
Good, some far right morons in some ultras groups were stopped from coming. They don't usually fight or anything like that, they're just stupid.

However even without them it feels like a home game for Romania.

Reactions: cgf

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Not that there isn't still some potential, but bigger hooligan incidents at Euros have usually involved Russians so maybe we'll see a more peaceful tournament this time in terms of that.

GP3pt5gXcAEqETe.jpg:large

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Not that there isn't still some potential, but bigger hooligan incidents at Euros have usually involved Russians so maybe we'll see a more peaceful tournament this time in terms of that.

GP3pt5gXcAEqETe.jpg:large
Not receiving a refund for purchased tickets? I'd sue

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
IIRC Ukrainian hooligans were more or less pretty similar to Russian hooligans. I mean really all of the former Eastern bloc had pretty similar hooligan scenes. (But FWIW I suspect a significant % of the Ukrainian hooligan scene is somewhere in a ditch in Eastern Ukraine currently).

FWIW Fubo.TV has an overlay now for score and time which is a great improvement on the first broadcast. I will say I think it's quite curious that the abbreviation for Romania is 'ROU' which to me sounds like it can only be based on French..but I don't think I've seen any other country so far with a French-based abbreviation. I know in the old days the French-based abbreviations were standard in the Olympics but that hasn't been done in at least 30 years either.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Ukrainian goalkeeping on show, always their weak points

Romania will now park the bus even more

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
The Romanian defending is pretty good. You can tell they're used to playing on the backfoot. While with a team like Germany you often get the sense the defense slightly panics when there's an opponent running in the box (because it doesn't happen much and usually is the result of a big mistake), the Romanians just deal with it with full awareness that possession in the box means nothing if you can't find a shooting lane or pass.

Reactions: luiginb

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Defensively we're a good match to Ukraine and there's no surprise we were able to keep them to 0 shots on net that first half. Dubvyk is the top scorer in La Liga, but he plays a physical game and that's Dragusin's bread and butter, and Ratiu (even though he lost Mudryk once) is one of the few players to have completely annihilated Vinicius this year. We're weak at left back, as we are basically playing an ultra offensive LWB there, but even Bancu did a good job against Tsygankov.

This is a team that couldn't score in two games against Bulgaria and Liechtenstein in friendlies getting ready for this, but now we have spaces and making them count, arguably we've had the three biggest chances this half. Let's hope we keep the high press up and let Ukraine have all the empty possession in the second half as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: cgf

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
IIRC Ukrainian hooligans were more or less pretty similar to Russian hooligans. I mean really all of the former Eastern bloc had pretty similar hooligan scenes. (But FWIW I suspect a significant % of the Ukrainian hooligan scene is somewhere in a ditch in Eastern Ukraine currently).

FWIW Fubo.TV has an overlay now for score and time which is a great improvement on the first broadcast. I will say I think it's quite curious that the abbreviation for Romania is 'ROU' which to me sounds like it can only be based on French..but I don't think I've seen any other country so far with a French-based abbreviation. I know in the old days the French-based abbreviations were standard in the Olympics but that hasn't been done in at least 30 years either.
The hooligan culture as a whole is what it is, but there haven't really been any incidents of significance with Ukrainians around the national team though. Before 2012 we had Sol Campbell telling how Ukraine is too dangerous for England fans to travel to, but pretty much the only incident on that side of the border were a few German idiots displaying Nazi symbols and throwing trash on the pitch. Meanwhile in Poland there were several major fights involving Russian hooligans (and one Croats against the police).

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Politically linked too. The Russian ultras making a mess out of euro 2016 undoubtedly had some links to the Kremlin.
Likewise much of the 'enforcement' during the Maidan revolution came from Ukrainian football firms. They were also the genesis of those nasty territorial defense battalions circa 2014.

It's a weird dynamic.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $5,000.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium
    Wagers: 1