Votes: 3 23.1%
  • England

Votes: 8 61.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
To be fair, doesn't Foden look like the best player in the Premiership while playing for a Guardiola-coached super team purchased with a few billion quid of oil money? I mean it's never going to be the same playing for England. Gundogan also looked like twice the player for City that he ever did for Germany.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
The Foden thing is so weird.

Being framed as a Foden problem, but it’s clearly a Southgate problem.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto

It's a Southgate problem insofar as he should know that when Trippier is at left back he needs a left winger who will play as a winger, which Foden never will. The obvious fix is to play Saka on the left because Saka has the discipline to not be an additional CAM when the situation doesn't demand it.

Foden was also really good in the first half. But it's square peg round hole asking him to play on the left wing, as was abundantly apparent in the second when you had him dropping between centre backs to pick up the ball. Play f***ing wing man!

Maybe try Foden there again when Shaw is back, but while Trippier is at LB you need a real winger on that side. Southgate won't flip Saka over, so it has to be Gordon.

Reactions: luiginb

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
It's a Southgate problem insofar as he should know that when Trippier is at left back he needs a left winger who will play as a winger, which Foden never will. The obvious fix is to play Saka on the left because Saka has the discipline to not be an additional CAM when the situation doesn't demand it.

Foden was also really good in the first half. But it's square peg round hole asking him to play on the left wing, as was abundantly apparent in the second when you had him dropping between centre backs to pick up the ball. Play f***ing wing man!

Maybe try Foden there again when Shaw is back, but while Trippier is at LB you need a real winger on that side. Southgate won't flip Saka over, so it has to be Gordon.
Yeah I mean it’s the same as the Trent discourse. Southgate gets a free pass for not being able to utilize his best players properly. I mean Gordon is no slouch, but it’s kind of sad that they’d have to go to that. I mean he could certainly play Joe Gomez at LB too. But again Southgate only has one move. His subs all look pre planned too but we know this already. It’s the same Southgate. Just rely on England’s individual talent and hope it works. Luckily England is very talented

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Yeah I mean it’s the same as the Trent discourse. Southgate gets a free pass for not being able to utilize his best players properly. I mean Gordon is no slouch, but it’s kind of sad that they’d have to go to that. I mean he could certainly play Joe Gomez at LB too. But again Southgate only has one move. His subs all look pre planned too but we know this already. It’s the same Southgate. Just rely on England’s individual talent and hope it works. Luckily England is very talented
Gomez who is… also right footed… so it would be the exact same issue, hahaha.

But yeah, Southgate is not tactically savvy in the least (although his subs yesterday were good, IMO). That should’ve been a comfy win and they looked bad. I deeply resent Southgate as a football fan for wasting a very exciting group of players.

But also a good NT has never been necessarily a country’s best eleven players in each position. If they play a lot better with an actual left winger (as I think they probably will), then that’s the way it goes.

Reactions: luiginb

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Gomez who is… also right footed… so it would be the exact same issue, hahaha.

But yeah, Southgate is not tactically savvy in the least (although his subs yesterday were good, IMO). That should’ve been a comfy win and they looked bad. I deeply resent Southgate as a football fan for wasting a very exciting group of players.

But also a good NT has never been necessarily a country’s best eleven players in each position. If they play a lot better with an actual left winger (as I think they probably will), then that’s the way it goes.
Gomez is right footed but he played really well in that role last season. Also he’d be more “stay at home” than Trippier so you’d be giving Foden more freedom to work with, and you can be inverting with the City guys on the other half of the field; so it plays out a little differently in my opinion. Gomez basically playing the Ake/Gvardiol role; which is a lot different that what Trippier (especially on the left) is offering. But as we agree it comes down to tactical savvy which obviously isn’t a strength

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013

It's kind of already been said in various posts, but both are the problem imo.

Everyone here can see how tactically limited that Southgate is, and he's definitely not getting the most out of the team. But at the same time, Foden seemingly can't be be tactically flexible as well. As @Wee Baby Seamus said, play wing. That's not going to get the absolute most out of Foden, but it might be the best thing for the team. Whether we think it's the best decision or not, you have other guys like Trippier and Trent playing in different positions/roles than they do for their clubs, or even Rice is playing a bit different role than he did for Arsenal this year. But Foden just wants to drift inside to the 10 rather than playing on the wing.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
It's kind of already been said in various posts, but both are the problem imo.

Everyone here can see how tactically limited that Southgate is, and he's definitely not getting the most out of the team. But at the same time, Foden seemingly can't be be tactically flexible as well. As @Wee Baby Seamus said, play wing. That's not going to get the absolute most out of Foden, but it might be the best thing for the team. Whether we think it's the best decision or not, you have other guys like Trippier and Trent playing in different positions/roles than they do for their clubs, or even Rice is playing a bit different role than he did for Arsenal this year. But Foden just wants to drift inside to the 10 rather than playing on the wing.
I guess I mean Foden isn’t a wing though/ if Southgate wants to play two out and out fingers he should just play Gordon. But again, it’s not on Foden if the manager can’t get the best out of him. It’s an indictment on Southgate that he can’t maximize his best players; especially considering it’s his tactically simplicity at the foundation of it

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
I guess I mean Foden isn’t a wing though/ if Southgate wants to play two out and out fingers he should just play Gordon. But again, it’s not on Foden if the manager can’t get the best out of him. It’s an indictment on Southgate that he can’t maximize his best players; especially considering it’s his tactically simplicity at the foundation of it
I agree Southgate isn't doing well enough to solve the issue, but I also don't see a clear and balanced system when you're trying to force two 10s (Jude and Foden) into a team with Harry Kane playing 9 and trying to drop into deep spaces often. Especially when you're also trying to play one proper 6/8 (Rice) and another free role midfielder (Trent) in front of an injured/questionable back line.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
But also a good NT has never been necessarily a country’s best eleven players in each position.
That can not be stressed enough.
I will add players who have no problem sitting on the bench, players that have an importance in terms of leadership or good spirit.
But media keep on saying player X or Y "deserve" to be called up.
There's no deserving. It's not a medal thing. It's a team trying to win.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
England is not going to lose because of talent, they will lose because Southgate is in a position absolutely beyond his ability. Nobody with Kane, Saka, and Foden as the front three should need to rely on Bellingham to score goals for you and win you games, regardless of how freakin' amazing Jude is.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
England is not going to lose because of talent, they will lose because Southgate is in a position absolutely beyond his ability. Nobody with Kane, Saka, and Foden as the front three should need to rely on Bellingham to score goals for you and win you games, regardless of how freakin' amazing Jude is.
Now with all the 1st stage games over, it was Southgate that made the fewest subs of all 24 teams. This despite having one of the top 3-5 benches in the tourney and legs clearly going for some of the players in the second half. He just doesn't have it.. I want England to win.. they are the players I watch the most week in and week out. I just don't think Gareth can do it..

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,600.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,770.00