Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Croatia

Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Spain couldn't dominate the midfield like you would have seen during their heyday. Good team, but reminds me more of the Spain squads of the 90s than the Spain squads of the 00s/10s.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
It’s not about the pieces most likely coaches style.

There aren’t many teams that can have the luxury of having Zubi and Merino on the bench.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Spain doesn't scare me much after this match. Their defense looks shaky, they have pace up front but Croatia also gave them a ton of space. For a Spain team they don't have much of a midfield as well. I would pick France or England above them.

So not much of a midfield and you’d go out on a limb and pick the two tournament favorites above them. OK.

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Much of Spain "not dominating the midfield" can be attributed to them not having to because they were already up 2-0. With the exception of maybe 10 minutes before Morata's goal, Spain had midfield control in the first half. They then didn't need to have it in the second.

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
Much of Spain "not dominating the midfield" can be attributed to them not having to because they were already up 2-0. With the exception of maybe 10 minutes before Morata's goal, Spain had midfield control in the first half. They then didn't need to have it in the second.
Croatia had more possession up until the first goal and Croatia had more possession in the first half. Spain played more long balls and looked dangerous on the counter. It might be a tactic that might suit them with their pace up front and shaky defense.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Croatia ruined the best jerseys in international soccer

Agree but the reasoning behind it was so they can wear them more often, in the past they would wear the away kits 80% of the time. I guess its less of a clash with this style as previously against Spain they never wore the checkered kit

Somehow Croatia outperformed Spain in XG, shows what little that means, though Croatia missed some sitters, mostly when it was too late anyway. Honestly as much success he has had I hope Dalic goes after this tournament, it's never good having a NT manager stick around too long, for example US with Berhalter. He legit said today he put Perisic on to give him match fitness in a tough game :rolleyes:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad