• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
So let’s itemize this

- robbed of a red
- goal taken away on a very marginal basis
- no retake, just goal kick, even tho Simon was also off his line to early
There's no way that is a red. He wasn't denied a goal scoring opportunity because he dove. The foul wasn't heavy enough contact to cause that reaction.

Reactions: Jussi

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
There's no way that is a red. He wasn't denied a goal scoring opportunity because he dove. The foul wasn't heavy enough contact to cause that reaction.
If you’re making a call there that that foul is a penalty, then it is a DOGSO. For a DOGSO to be a yellow instead of a red, there has to be an effort at the ball. There wasn’t!

Real issue here though is that Simon was off his line, which should make the violations a wash and another retake

Reactions: luiginb

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Croatia looks like they are on a serious decline with most of these players on the way out, while Spain has ridiculous youth talent to just roll out.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
If you’re making a call there that that foul is a penalty, then it is a DOGSO. For a DOGSO to be a yellow instead of a red, there has to be an effort at the ball. There wasn’t!

Real issue here though is that Simon was off his line, which should make the violations a wash and another retake
That wasn't a DOGSO.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Croatia looks like they are on a serious decline with most of these players on the way out, while Spain has ridiculous youth talent to just roll out.
I mean it was a given at some point. I think Croatia doesn’t get out of the group.

As for Spain they need defenders if they actually want to win something. They have talent pretty much everywhere else.

Reactions: Blender

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Fair
That's the difference between a small country punching above its weight and a big powerhouse nation. The big nations always produce talent year after year and it usually only takes 4-6 years to refresh/rebuild a team to a good level. Small nations like Croatia can easily go a decade without producing a world class player and a situation where they have a number of elite players playing at the same time may only occur once in a long, long time.

Reactions: Blender

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
How can it be a foul/penalty and not a DOGSO when the foul is in front of an open goal? The positioning of the foul (which was deemed to be bad enough to be a penalty) makes it inherently a DOGSO.
A foul doesn't automatically mean a DOGSO, the D stands for denial. He could have stayed on his feet and still made an attempt, and he instead blatantly dove after feeling the brush on the shin.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin

Wait another four years and you’ll likely really see some talents to go along with Gvardiol. Not sure about a striker or on the wings, but they should have some defenders and midfielders.

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Spain managed to score three with Williams and Olmo being uncharacteristically horrible today.

I agree that should have been a red on Rodri and the penalty might have been retaken, but I need another replay to see Simon's feet.

Reactions: PanniniClaus

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Spain was impressive. They need to tighten up on defending, but that was entertaining.

I noted the defense earlier, but also as I said, they need a striker. Morata isn’t consistent and now he’s out. The manager’s answer? Oyarzabal. I like Oyarzabal and he’s played up front for La Real this past season, but when the chips are down I wouldn’t want him in that role. That leaves Joselu. So Spain will need goals from somewhere.

Reactions: luiginb

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
Spain was impressive. They need to tighten up on defending, but that was entertaining.
They played more long balls which they usually don’t do. They took advantage of there pace and lack of pace of Croatia. Spain defense still a bit shaky for I think will get exposed with teams with a better front line.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Spain doesn't scare me much after this match. Their defense looks shaky, they have pace up front but Croatia also gave them a ton of space. For a Spain team they don't have much of a midfield as well. I would pick France or England above them.

Reactions: Spring in Fialta

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad