Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Hungary

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Neur did all he could to get Hungary back into the game. This back line can’t hold against tougher opposition can’t it?

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
The thing with Neuer is that it's been brutally obvious for at least two years now that he's physically not the player he was. It reminds me of seeing guys like Zoff and Shilton in the old days, but they weren't trying to do nearly as much as Neuer is. He's actually worse now than Kahn was in 2006 and yet somehow his spot is guaranteed.

Reactions: cgf

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I thought it was extremely borderline. Although if I was rooting for them I'd be pretty annoyed at the Hungarian players stopping playing because they thought it would be a whistle. Dumb thing to do in front of your own goal...

I think that's why we got away with it. Orban had had a similar scene earlier where he let Kai outmuscle him because he was trying to bait the foul. The ref didn't reward it then, and when Orban leaned into Ilkay so he could get knocked to the ground, the ref didn't reward it again.

If that happened to us, I'd be annoyed at both the ref and defender, but more the defender.

Reactions: JoVel

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
They are likely facing Denmark in the R16...but it could still be England if they bottle group C. Spain looms in the QF.

I do not like their chances against England or Spain. Strange saying that when the team has 7 goals in 2 games.

Why not? We outplayed Spain in Qatar (without Wirtz) and are much stronger right now.

England are certainly talented but their defense is no less a joke than ours and their Jogi is much worse than ours was. Plus we'd have the best creatives on the pitch, and we wouldn't have Harry Kane in our lineup :dunno:

Reactions: Oilhawks

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
I feel like Germany's backline is about to get exposed once they face a team with real firepower. Especially since no one has a lot of trust in Neuer either. I'm surprised they didn't experiment there at all in the end, but just kept subbing in more attackers and midfielders even when they were up 2-0.

Reactions: SeawaterOnIce

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
He's basically CR7 with 1/10 of his talent.

He's nothing like CR7, Leroy's the new Robben. When he's clicking he's unstoppable even though everyone knows he wants to come inside on his left & shoot, but he's super streaky. So after starting the season playing great is back to being truly invisible out there.

Neur did all he could to get Hungary back into the game. This back line can’t hold against tougher opposition can’t it?

You wouldn't think so, but this exact same lineup + ter Stegen shut France out before the tourney :dunno:

Reactions: luiginb

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
The thing with Neuer is that it's been brutally obvious for at least two years now that he's physically not the player he was. It reminds me of seeing guys like Zoff and Shilton in the old days, but they weren't trying to do nearly as much as Neuer is. He's actually worse now than Kahn was in 2006 and yet somehow his spot is guaranteed.

Yeah. It's gross to say, but we would've been much better off if that skiing injury had ended his career.

Last edited:

Karterthadon

Nov 1, 2022
He's nothing like CR7, Leroy's the new Robben. When he's clicking he's unstoppable even though everyone knows he wants to come inside on his left & shoot, but he's super streaky. So after starting the season playing great is back to being truly invisible out there.
I was alluding to him being an unbearable wanker😂

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I was alluding to him being an unbearable wanker😂

Again he's more Robben in that sphere as well. He's not as big a deal as CR7 and nowhere near as annoying a personality. His game is annoying when he's out of sync...just like Robben's was...but he's a quiet guy off the pitch without a single rape charge filed against him.

Reactions: luiginb

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Again he's more Robben in that sphere as well. He's not as big a deal as CR7 and nowhere near as annoying a personality. His game is annoying when he's out of sync...just like Robben's was...but he's a quiet guy off the pitch without a single rape charge filed against him.
Did we ever find out if it was more on him or Mané when... whatever happened between those two?

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Yeah. It's gross to say, but we would've been much better off if that skiing injury had ended his career.
You're right. That was gross to say.

I feel like Germany's backline is about to get exposed once they face a team with real firepower. Especially since no one has a lot of trust in Neuer either. I'm surprised they didn't experiment there at all in the end, but just kept subbing in more attackers and midfielders even when they were up 2-0.
I don't know there's much to experiment with. Schlotterbeck is next obvious man up but don't think you risk his NT juju if you don't have to. That group's going to give ulcers no matter what the exact deployment is.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Jesus that’s awful. It’s not like replacing Nuer with MAtS will result in any trophies either.

One of the worst things I’ve read on on here tbh

• Haha
Reactions: cgf

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
It's Ter Stegen's own occasional blunder (along with the desire to avoid pissing off Bayern) that has kept Neuer in the net tbh. Ter Stegen's reputation in Germany is middling at best, which means that the choice looks like a wash and in a wash Nagelsmann goes with the path of least resistance (Bayern World Cup hero vs guy playing abroad who most people barely ever watch play).

Reactions: Bringer of Jollity

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I wasn’t hoping that it had happened or wishing the injury had been any worse than it was.

Just saying that the difference between Neuer and ter Stegen has been huge for a few years now, despite Neuer refusing to let go…even at the NT level.

Appeasing Neuer’s ego already cost us progression from the group in Qatar. What will it cost us this summer?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad