Greatest Players to Mentor Other Players

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Stanislasjc

Dec 12, 2018
The Maritimes
So we always hear about how some players make their teammates better, but that usually means while they are in the lineup.

What about the kind of players who permanently alter the trajectory of the guys around them? Or guys who altered their own trajectories by studying the master's? Can you think of specific examples of this in hockey history?

I am thinking of how Jacques Plante helped take Bernie Parent to another level when they played together in Toronto.

Or how Marian Hossa deliberately went to Detroit to learn from Datsyuk (among others) and you see Hossa become one of the premier takeaway artists in the league after that.

I believe Messier, Kurri, and Coffey would have never won a cup if they hadn't first played with Wayne. But after playing with Wayne, they were capable of winning without him! It's kind of interesting.

Meanwhile Mario didn't need to learn from Wayne's vision, but he learned from his work ethic in 87.

I think Espo was great independent of Orr, but how much of his greatness came from learning alongside Orr?

Did Oates make guys permanently better, or just give them temporary stat boosts? Like Thornton obviously didn't make Cheecho a perennial Richard threat.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Maybe Adam Graves taking a lot from Mark Messier? Graves was in thrall to Messier in Edmonton in 1990-91, and then in September 1991 Graves went to New York, alongside Messier, and suddenly started becoming a scorer, with 26, 36, and then 52 goal seasons (mostly playing with Mess).

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Apparently Gainey mentored Carbonneau quite a bit (they shared room on the road), considered the type of player he became there could be something there

Yozhik v tumane

Jan 2, 2019
Off the top of my head, Tretiak and Belfour, Brad McCrimmon and Lidström.

For shorter mentorships, I think Gretzky had some impact on Lemieux playing together at the Canada Cup, and Salming on Lidström pairing up for the World Championships.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Mentoring can probably mean two different things here, off and on ice respectively.

Mats Sundin apparently had strong influence on both the Sedins (taking that next maturity step in their careers) and Ryan Kesler (unlocking more offence), during his short stint in Vancouver.

Jagr probably helped Barkov a bit unlocking his offence during those first slow years in Florida as well.

Larionov probably helped Bure off ice during his rookie season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad