Great potential rivalries that never happened

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA
Looking back, what are some examples of two teams who had the potential to be big time rivals with each other, but certain circumstances prevented the rivalry from occurring? I'll give two examples, and as you'll see in both examples, the teams still did play each other in the playoffs, but missed each other in years a playoff matchup would've been even more significant, where both teams would've been close to their peaks.

The first example is the Canadiens and Islanders in the late 70's. The Islanders dynasty had the perfect handoff to their successor dynasty Oilers. Beating them in 1983 kept the Isles dynasty going one extra season while holding off the Oilers one for one more year. Then the following season, it was fitting that the Oilers had to end the Isles dynasty at the same time as starting their own. As I said, perfect handoff from one dynasty to the next. But while the Isles had that with their successor dynasty, they didn't with their predecessor dynasty in the Habs. They lost to them in 1976 and 1977, though worth pointing out that their combined 3 wins against them in both series were the only 3 Habs playoff losses in each postseason. Then when the Isles drafted Bossy and he had his great rookie season in 1978, that's when the Isles were at least close to their dynasty peak. 2nd best record behind the Habs in 1978, and overtook them for the best record in 1979. But a QF upset against the Leafs in 1978 and Rangers in 1979 prevented the Isles from reaching the SCF and challenging the Habs after they had drafted Bossy. 1979 would've been the best matchup between the two dynasties. But then the Habs lost significant pieces after 1979, so a series against the Isles in the early 80's wouldn't have been as noteworthy. The 1976 and 1977 series were like the Isles/Oilers series in 1981, where the successor dynasty wasn't ready yet to challenge the current dynasty at the time.

Another example is Detroit vs Dallas between 1995-2002. Dallas was the 3rd wheel of the Colorado/Detroit rivalry, and together the 3 dominated in this span. In addition to the heated Avs/Wings rivalry, there was also the 1999 and 2000 WCF where the Stars beat the Avs in 7 in both, which each at least close to their peaks. But the Stars and WIngs never had that. They only met in 1998 (Dallas wasn't elite in 1995, so I won't count that for the sake of this thread). For the Stars, Nieuwendyk (who won the Smythe the next season) was injured in the first game of the playoffs, and it was the season before they signed Hull, so they struggled to score that postseason, which was a big motivating factor in signing Hull. Without those two, this wasn't as good a Stars team as the one who beat the Avs the next 2 seasons and won the 1999 cup. Meanwhile, had the Wings not blown their 2-0 series lead to the Avs the following season, I think they lose to the Stars in the 1999 WCF. Not only because the Stars were better, but because the Wings were worn down from their B2B cup wins. If looking for a season where both were close to peak form aside from if Nieuwendyk was healthy in 1998, the next best postseason would probably be 2003, when they were the top 2 seeds in the West but both fell victim to Giguere's legendary postseason.

What other examples can you guys think of similar to this?

Last edited:

VanIslander

20 years of All-Time Drafts on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Rocket Richard
vs.
Guy Lafleur

... i still dunno who was better: passing, playoffs, physicality, skating....

I would have loved to see them in the Montreal Forum at the same time.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
From 1980 to 2020 Montreal and Toronto played 0 playoffs games against each others

Miss an epic cup final in 1993 and when In 1999 the Leafs come to the eastern conference, they both had issue making the playoff on a constant basis, Ottawa-Toronto had good team at the same time on a constant basis and could develop one.

Koivu mtl vs Sundin Leafs could have been a lot of funs, but montreal was bad, then the Leafs miss the playoff like 15 years in a row...

Last edited:

DitchMarner

TheGlitchintheSwitch
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
I know Tampa and Florida have met a few times in the playoffs, but I would love to see a playoff series between the peak late 2010s/early 2020s Lightning and the Panthers at their best.

TB basically owned them in 2022 and then the Cats made some changes and became a different animal the next year. This year they beat the Bolts without too much difficulty.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Some are quite litteral, say maybe the Sens and the Nordiques or Jets develop a rivalry once Ottawa get good from 1997 to 2008 (if they happen to be good at the same time), at some points (06-07) the league had a 8 games a year for intra-division matchup, if they meet each others 2 time in the playoff in a short window, easy for some sparks to happen, like the Isles-Pens or Sabres-Bruins of that era.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Bruins and Sabres around 2010 had the groundwork for a rivalry but the Sabres quickly fell apart ending that.

You had the Bruins upsetting the Sabres in the 1st round in 2010, then in 2011 you have the Lucic/Miller hit. Add to it both teams liked to engage in the physical side of the game and it couldve been a good one

Last edited:

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
Bruins and Sabres around 2010 had the groundwork for a rivalry but the Sabres quickly fell apart ending that.

You had the Bruins upsetting the Sabres in the 1st round in 2010, then in 2011 you have the Lucic/Miller hit. Add to it both teams liked to engage in the physical side of the game and it couldve been a good one

We didn't hold up our end of the bargain there. It was like the end of one era meeting the start of another and we just didn't have the horses after the captains left, let alone the pride.

I'd throw in Buffalo-Ottawa based on 05-07. That's a homer pick but they were really competitive.

I also would have liked to see Pittsburgh and Chicago clash in a SCF or two. Felt like they were on a collision course that never happened.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.youtube.com
I'd throw in Buffalo-Ottawa based on 05-07. That's a homer pick but they were really competitive.
I had half a thought that Buffalo/Pittsburgh on this side of the lockout could have been like Washington/Pittsburgh was on the other side. No team "got it" better than Buffalo did in terms of the new NHL and no team had a better player than Pittsburgh. It seemed like it could have been fun. But the minute we got good, you guys...uhh...you...ummmm... *clears throat*

Crosby2010

Mar 4, 2023
Mario and Lindros.

Toronto and Montreal have more or less not been good at the same time since 1967. In 2021 that was the most depressing playoff series I've ever witnessed. No fans watching (American teams had their crowds back) and no atmosphere or even a hint of animosity. No passion at all. And yet this is the first series the two of them played since 1979, and in 1978 and 1979 it was no contest either.

Pittsburgh and Chicago traded Cups from 2009 to 2017 and yet never met in a playoff series. Just bad luck on either side in certain years. Would have been nice to see.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
In 2021 that was the most depressing playoff series I've ever witnessed. No fans watching (American teams had their crowds back) and no atmosphere or even a hint of animosity. No passion at all.

Strangely, that not at all how I remember it, grandiose and almost better than winning the cup. There was talk to make it a national holiday and a Price statue to be built who cleaned forever any critics (mostly contract and availability) with that series win..

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA
Thanks for some interesting choices I've seen, which I'll comment on.
I know Tampa and Florida have met a few times in the playoffs, but I would love to see a playoff series between the peak late 2010s/early 2020s Lightning and the Panthers at their best.

TB basically owned them in 2022 and then the Cats made some changes and became a different animal the next year. This year they beat the Bolts without too much difficulty.
I thought 2022 was the pinnacle, despite that series ending in a sweep. Tampa was the defending 2 time champs, while Florida was the President's Trophy winner. And while it was a sweep, that showed Florida the changes they needed to make for playoff hockey, most notably trading Huberdeau for Tkachuk. But by the time the Cats were better built for playoff hockey, the salary cap and all that extra playoff mileage had worn down the B2B Bolts cup champs team.
Not a homer pick for me! I think that's a great choice. I enjoyed that rivalry and playoff series in 2006 and 2007. Lots of skill among both teams, plus the animosity from that brawl you guys had. A shame it was short lived. I do think the Sabres infamous 2007 offseason ending that rivalry does overshadow how much the Sens core also went nowhere after 2007, despite still being together. Which was a surprise because I thought they were a team who the Crosby/Malkin Pens would have to overcome, but they completely faded away.
It's a shame we only got one playoff series between Lindros' Flyers and Lemieux's Penguins.
Great choice. It could've been an epic all Pennsylvania rivalry. I wish the Pens and Flyers would've matched up in the playoffs as much then as they did in the Crosby era with his matchups against Richards and Giroux. A shame how much time Lemieux and Lindros missed.
Pittsburgh and Chicago traded Cups from 2009 to 2017 and yet never met in a playoff series. Just bad luck on either side in certain years. Would have been nice to see.
Definitely strange that the 2 teams who won 2/3 of the cups (1/3 each) in a 9 season span never met in the SCF. What's strange is only twice (2009 and 2013) did they even make the CF in the same season, with the Hawks losing in 5 in 2009 and the Pens getting swept in 2013. And even though the championships won are more lopsided in this NBA example, I've always found there not being a Pens/Hawks SCF from 2009-2017 to be the NHL's equivalent of the Jordan Bulls and Olajuwon Rockets never meeting in the NBA finals in the 1990's decade. Similarly, 1997 was the only season both made the CF.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
Yeah Dallas did end up playing 3rd wheel to Detroit and Colorado in the late 90s which was a shame bc they were an extremely strong team. For 8 years straight, those 3 teams played musical chairs in the Stanley Cup Finals

Last edited:
Reactions: Bear of Bad News

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
Edmonton vs Pittsburgh in the Finals, provided Gretzky never gets traded.

Montreal-NYI and Dallas-Detroit were the first examples I thought of, along with Gretzky-led EDM vs. Lemieux-led PIT.
Detroit vs Dallas was stopped by Colorado beating Detroit in 1999 and 2000. If that doesn’t happen, then we’d be lamenting Dallas vs Colorado never meeting each other during that era.

Crosby2010

Mar 4, 2023
Edmonton vs Pittsburgh in the Finals, provided Gretzky never gets traded.

Or how about L.A. and Pittsburgh in the final in 1993? Not that the 1993 playoffs could have been much better since historically it is one of our more memorable postseasons in history, but wouldn't that be a cherry on top? I'll take the Pens, but you know Gretzky would do his best and probably steal a game on his own just to prove he can still play with Mario.

Reactions: The Pale King

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
Or how about L.A. and Pittsburgh in the final in 1993? Not that the 1993 playoffs could have been much better since historically it is one of our more memorable postseasons in history, but wouldn't that be a cherry on top? I'll take the Pens, but you know Gretzky would do his best and probably steal a game on his own just to prove he can still play with Mario.
Would have been fun but probably not a perennial rivalry. The Kings were one and done. The Penguins were done making Finals because of Mario's health issues (and their GM was a fool).

Reactions: mrhockey193195

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Dallas faced in X in the lates 90s

1998: Detroit (loose)
1999: Colorado (win)
2000: Colorado (win)

They won the most games in the leagues in the regular season and playoff during that time, 3x conference final, 2x cup final, 1 cup , they were the best team with virtually not a single weakness at any position-coach down the line, no one was that close to their 2.11 GAA

In that window they did not feel out of the rivalry to me, but it was way less sexy then the Avs vs Wings with the giant fight for sure, hard to not be a second fiddle to that.

Last edited:
Reactions: hui43210

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
Dallas faced in X in the lates 90s

1998: Detroit (loose)
1999: Colorado (win)
2000: Colorado (win)

They won the most games in the leagues in the regular season and playoff during that time, 3x conference final, 2x cup final, 1 cup , they were the best team in the league, no one was that close to their 2.11 GAA

In that window they did not feel out of the rivalry to me, but it was way less sexy then the Avs vs Wings with the giant fight for sure, hard to not be a second fiddle to that.
I would have loved a Roy vs. Belfour fight.

• Love
Reactions: vadim sharifijanov

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
We didn't hold up our end of the bargain there. It was like the end of one era meeting the start of another and we just didn't have the horses after the captains left, let alone the pride.

I also would have liked to see Pittsburgh and Chicago clash in a SCF or two. Felt like they were on a collision course that never happened.

Good rivalries require intense and frequent playoff encounters to really simmer, but regular season frequency of play and similar levels of Stanley Cup competitiveness helps as well.

Buffalo-Ottawa obviously met in the playoffs in back to back years but the regular season series was spicy as well at that time.

Both teams very competitive. It was a solid rivalry and as a mod at the time, I got to know and respect @Chainshot in our efforts to curtail the worst of it around here.

While Ottawa has played Pittsburgh a number of times, they were never really competitive at the same time.

Malkin and Crosby were making their playoff debuts in 2007, and the Sens fell off soon afterwards.

Ottawa played Montreal twice since but both teams were sort of mediocre so, while entertaining, there weren’t really any big stakes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad