Prospect Info: Grand Rapids Griffins, 2024 - 2025 Season

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
Nah man, this is not how skating instruction goes. There is concession given to bow-leggedness in power skating classes, but even if that's more common with women (which is not my experience in skating), it happens with both sexes. And, either way, male and female instructors both know how to coach that. I forget her name, but one of the best power-skating instructors in the country for at least a couple decades (like 80s, 90s and 2000s at least) was a woman. She coached a lot of guys who played in the NHL. And she wasn't the only woman to do so at that level.

EDIT: Laura Stamm. She's a legend in hockey skating, and in the NHL.

She worked with a lot of NHLers in the 80s and 90s and had some minor league guys assisting her camps. I took classes at Laura Stamm's camp 2 years in a row and it helped me go from a 3rd liner on a house league team to 1st liner in AAA in midget.

But you know, if she wasn't a woman I could have made the NHL.
:sarcasm:

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
The idea that a woman can't effectively teach Michael Rasmussen how to skate better, simply because he's bow-legged, is ridiculous.

Well, instructors of both sexes have failed so far. Why do you think he gets knocked down so easily?

As for not understanding the angles, I wouldn't consider hiring any of you.

I like the word knock-kneed, it's fun to say. I thought the opposite of bow-legged was Pidgeon-toed, or am I think of something else?
Opposite of pigeon toe is duck footed. Gotta be pretty hard to skate with pigeon toe.

Art_Bowlegs-and-Knock-Knees.jpg

Most women (NOTE I DIDN'T SAY ALL) are knock kneed because they have wider hips.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Well, instructors of both sexes have failed so far. Why do you think he gets knocked down so easily?

Opposite of pigeon toe is duck footed. Gotta be pretty hard to skate with pigeon toe.

Duck footed?!!? Hahahahahhahaha, what a fantastic name.

jaster

I am become woke, destroyer of ignorance.
Jun 8, 2007

Well I don't ski, so I sure would hope that you wouldn't hire me :laugh: Not understanding the angles? Huh?

I'm still not sure what Rasmussen being a below-average NHL skater and presumably not being helped enough by any instructor has to do with the idea that women can't instruct men. The former in no way proves the latter.

Most women (NOTE I DIDN'T SAY ALL) are knock kneed because they have wider hips.
Again, what does this have to do with the topic at hand? Someone asked whether skating instruction differs for boys/girls, men/women. It does not. Women having wider hips is notable when discussing.... childbirth? But not skating instruction.

Reactions: norrisnick

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Again, what does this have to do with the topic at hand? Someone asked whether skating instruction differs for boys/girls, men/women. It does not. Women having wider hips is notable when discussing.... childbirth? But not skating instruction.

Obviously you don't get it. You have to pay attention to anatomical differences between women and men and kids vs adults. For example kids have a higher center of gravity because their head is bigger in proportion.

If you look at the diagram I posted earlier of bowlegged vs knock kneed and can't figure out that a knock kneed person naturally winds up on the inside edge vs a bowlegged person prone to being on the outside edge, then we might as well stop discussing skating because it not only shows a lack of knowledge but also an unwillingness to learn or even think. Or maybe I'm just making a bad assumption when I assumed you know how to skate. It should be pretty obvious that there are a lot of similarities between skating and skiing, and I've taught easily over a thousand people how to skate.... albeit on skis. My favorite lessons are hockey players, they're usually on intermediate runs within an hour.

Oct 18, 2006
I think Rasmussen will skate a lot better next season. He made good gains heading into 22/23, but the injury in 2023 really hindered his progress.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Obviously you don't get it. You have to pay attention to anatomical differences between women and men and kids vs adults. For example kids have a higher center of gravity because their head is bigger in proportion.

If you look at the diagram I posted earlier of bowlegged vs knock kneed and can't figure out that a knock kneed person naturally winds up on the inside edge vs a bowlegged person prone to being on the outside edge, then we might as well stop discussing skating because it not only shows a lack of knowledge but also an unwillingness to learn or even think. Or maybe I'm just making a bad assumption when I assumed you know how to skate. It should be pretty obvious that there are a lot of similarities between skating and skiing, and I've taught easily over a thousand people how to skate.... albeit on skis. My favorite lessons are hockey players, they're usually on intermediate runs within an hour.
But, you aren't a woman or a kid. How can you possibly have this information?

Astyanax

May 5, 2020

I do understand. I just thought his reply was objectively funny. They are the colloquial terms for scientific morphology.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007

Gniwder, man, you're killing me here lol.

The original question was:

Question for those who know about skating, I don't.
Is skating technique the same for women and man ?

The answer to that question is simply yes.

You then took this conversation in weird directions, seemingly in order to have arguments, or show off your ski knowledge, or I don't know what... and are now for some reason on a diatribe about knock-kneed and bow-legged people, which has nothing to do with the original question. You didn't move the goalposts, you uprooted the entire stadium and moved it to another city.

And no, you haven't taught thousands of people to ice skate. There are similarities between skating and skiing in terms of edgework, but there is so much more to skating than exists in skiing. Skaters become skiers relatively easy. The opposite is not true.

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
Didier re-signed, as expected.
Griffins Roster & Alumni Tracker

Snively - Kasper - Mazur
Dries - Danielson - Söderblom
Rychlovsky - Lombardi - Shine(A)
Johannes - Seger - Gettinger
Hanas, Doucet

Lagesson - Tuomisto
Wallinder - Rafferty(A)
Buium - Didier(C)
Viro - Dello

Cossa
Campbell
Bednar
Gyrlander
Alexander

PP1
---------- Kasper/Mazur ----------
Danielson --- Kasper/Mazur --- Snively
----------- Tuomisto -----------

PP2
----------- Söderblom ----------
Lombardi --- Dries --- Rychlovsky
----------- Rafferty ----------

PK pairs
Kasper - Mazur
Danielson - Shine
Seger - Gettinger

GR probably signs couple NCAA free agents to bring more depth but they play mostly in Toledo. Maybe GR signs Becher too but these are lines i would start the season. Snively sounds like a old fashioned playmaker, he should go well with shoot first kids like Kasper and Mazur.

Dries is center/winger so he should be good early mentor to Danielson. Good spot for Söderblom to show where he is now and to see where he is going. 3rd line is more lightweight but should be fast, Lombardi feeds Rychlovsky and Shine pulls the piano. If 3rd is lightweight line, then the 4th is heavyweight line. Gettinger 6'6'' & 216 - Seger 6'4'' & 209 - Johannes 6'3'' & 209, have fun playing against them! Hanas & Doucet, Toledo & press box.

Czarnik -> Dries
Luff/ZAR -> Snively
Hirose -> Rychlovsky
L'Esperance -> Seger
Berggren -> Danielson
Spezia -> Johannes
Edvinsson/Simek -> Lagesson
Johansson -> Buium
Newpower -> Dello
Hutchinson -> Campbell
Lethemon -> Gyrlander/Alexander

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Gniwder, man, you're killing me here lol.

The original question was:

The answer to that question is simply yes.

You then took this conversation in weird directions, seemingly in order to have arguments, or show off your ski knowledge, or I don't know what... and are now for some reason on a diatribe about knock-kneed and bow-legged people, which has nothing to do with the original question. You didn't move the goalposts, you uprooted the entire stadium and moved it to another city.

And no, you haven't taught thousands of people to ice skate. There are similarities between skating and skiing in terms of edgework, but there is so much more to skating than exists in skiing. Skaters become skiers relatively easy. The opposite is not true.

didn't art modell do that once?

Reactions: jaster

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
But, you aren't a woman or a kid. How can you possibly have this information?
LOL, I hope you're kidding. We actually have to study anatomical differences, you think instructors just make shit up?

Once again, the strawman. I said I taught over a thousand how to skate on skis, and the biggest bang for the buck that I gave everyone is that you have to flex to extend. Beginners and intermediates tend to penguin walk, no knee flex, no power. I had my little show where I would race the clients on the flats and skate backwards and see if if anyone can beat me. Makes people like you listen.

If you think skiing is easier than skating, I invite you to ski Mt Baker before I move back to Michigan. That is just hilarious. Message me because I'm done posting here for a while after the comments on what it takes to be an actual instructor in a sport. You people would rather insult than think.

And I'm just gonna say, of all people, you've disappointed me the most. Just because the balance is more difficult in terms of balance for beginners for skaters, you totally ignored the terrain and snow condition factor for skiing. Skiing might be an easier beginner sport if you wedge, but it certainly is not easier in terms of expert level. NHL insurance contracts, along with most pro sport contracts actually prohibit skiing because it's too dangerous.

I've given lessons to a former pro NFLer, I've been trying to talk the former NHLer I know into taking a lesson with me. Mt. Baker is a small resort, everyone knows I ski better than him. He even admitted it himself.

And of course none of you know, but Mt Baker has record snowfall, and steep terrain. Go Google it. It's why I moved here. Besides, I left my mark here, the 2 things I always show is one footed skiing and skating backwards, and they all caught on.

(For those that actually ski here, if you can ski one footed on either ski, it means you can go 0% or 100% on the outside ski. The notion that you have to push on the outside ski means you're doing it wrong.)

Electric Eric

#91 To the Rafters!
Feb 10, 2014
Portland -> Netherlands
I invite you to ski Mt Baker before I move back to Michigan.

I don't have a dog in this fight but I'll ski Baker with you lol.

Well splitboard.... and only after we've reached the summit. Still need to check Baker and Rainier off my list. Already have St Helens, Adams, and Glacier peak along a few other WA peaks.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
LOL, I hope you're kidding. We actually have to study anatomical differences, you think instructors just make shit up?

Once again, the strawman. I said I taught over a thousand how to skate on skis, and the biggest bang for the buck that I gave everyone is that you have to flex to extend. Beginners and intermediates tend to penguin walk, no knee flex, no power. I had my little show where I would race the clients on the flats and skate backwards and see if if anyone can beat me. Makes people like you listen.

If you think skiing is easier than skating, I invite you to ski Mt Baker before I move back to Michigan. That is just hilarious. Message me because I'm done posting here for a while after the comments on what it takes to be an actual instructor in a sport. You people would rather insult than think.

And I'm just gonna say, of all people, you've disappointed me the most. Just because the balance is more difficult in terms of balance for beginners for skaters, you totally ignored the terrain and snow condition factor for skiing. Skiing might be an easier beginner sport if you wedge, but it certainly is not easier in terms of expert level. NHL insurance contracts, along with most pro sport contracts actually prohibit skiing because it's too dangerous.

I've given lessons to a former pro NFLer, I've been trying to talk the former NHLer I know into taking a lesson with me. Mt. Baker is a small resort, everyone knows I ski better than him. He even admitted it himself.

And of course none of you know, but Mt Baker has record snowfall, and steep terrain. Go Google it. It's why I moved here. Besides, I left my mark here, the 2 things I always show is one footed skiing and skating backwards, and they all caught on.

(For those that actually ski here, if you can ski one footed on either ski, it means you can go 0% or 100% on the outside ski. The notion that you have to push on the outside ski means you're doing it wrong.)
Aside from me being somewhat baffled that we've strayed this far from the original skating question, I'm just going to point out that I never said skiing is easier than skating. The transition from skating to skiing being easier than the transition from skiing to skating does not necessarily mean one activity is easier or harder than the other.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Aside from me being somewhat baffled that we've strayed this far from the original skating question, I'm just going to point out that I never said skiing is easier than skating. The transition from skating to skiing being easier than the transition from skiing to skating does not necessarily mean one activity is easier or harder than the other.
I bet none of you can make a perfect medium rare steak with a Maillard reaction crust.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
You have some strange cuisine in Detroit!

Is this a specialty, like a Philly cheese steak, but for Detroit?
Ha. Detroit-style pizza, yeah. Square (rectangle) pizza, baked in a steel pan, caramelized crust, brick cheese.... are some of the signatures of the style.

Reactions: David D and MooMiN

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad