Grade the Oilers FAF

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

How did the Oilers do in FA?

• Total voters

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
A+ : J.Skinner, Arvidsson, Henrique
>Short term, proven players which most importantly give Draisaitl some true skill options to play with. Was not sold on Henrique, but he plays a positionally smart game and has a great touch around the net. Took a reported discount to stick around, how can you not love that. Each of these players should be good for ~20G give or take. Skinner, Arvidsson likely pot a few more than that. 60-70G all for just $10million, that too with proven even strength results. We had 292 GF last year, should be good for on par or better this year due to these additions. Nasty work.

A : C.Brown, Janmark
>Brings back the PK dynamic duo. They brought it in the playoffs, both left a lot to be desired in the regular season. Hopefully a more successful regular season for both - Brown with his knee injury further behind him, Janmark with the comfort of some term for once, and both feeling good from their respective playoff performances.

A- : Pickard, Stecher
>He's a great, textbook backup goalie. Great team guy. Did his job and then some last year. Would not have said no to an upgrade here, but can't argue with the price tag and results. Stecher I am a big fan of, and that price tag is unreal. Only minus for me is we are still seeking significant upgrade on Ceci for 2 years running, and I am still hoping there's more in the works to address this.

B- : J.Brown
>Desharnais replacement at #7D, can't hate this too much but why was this even needed? All metrics and stats suggest he is poor player (and doesn't replace the PK ability of Vinny), but he is physical. Not a substantial price tag, just seems unnecessary?

C : Perry
>Was honestly expecting him to retire. Has lost a couple steps. Amazing as he has been in his career, he is not that player any more. The contract is also too much. Should've been league min base with performance bonuses. That being said, he will be nice to have in the room, the plan has to be 13F with good load management though.

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
A-/B+
Upgrade on Ceci to help Nurse would bring him to a for sure A.
And as others have said, re-signing Draisaitl would force me to give an A+. Would be nice not to have to think about his contract :)

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
Solid A. Only thing I wasn’t on board with was bringing old man Perry back. I never liked the guy to begin with, as well I think he is toast. Except for the goal from the great play by McDavid in game 5 he was useless.

94 Oil Drops

McHy is the new McDrai.
Sep 19, 2019
Alberta
It's an A for me! :)

Just shy of an A+ because the defense wasn't really improved. Other Brown sucks. Broberg looked like a legit top 4 dman in the cup final though so there's that!

Huge props to Jackson. This crazy MF somehow managed to resign Janmark, Henrique, Brown, and Perry while adding Skinner and Arvidsson. That's insane! What's wilder is that Jackson might not be done making moves yet...

Oilers88

Jun 19, 2011
I went with an A. The only thing holding me back from A+ is that we didn't address our second pairing on the blueline, but that was always going to be difficult.

For the first time in years, it seems like the Oilers are going into a season with a manageable list of needs, and the cap and assets to hopefully address them. Hopefully they work out, but right now this looks like the best run of transactions since 2006.

Reactions: lopper

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
How injuryprone is Arvidsson?

It's a significant concern. If we discount 2014-15 where he only played 6 games as a rookie, he's played 540/738 possible games over the last 9 years. Good for an average of 22 games missed per season or 27% of the max possible games missed.

But there's no question he's been consistently effective when he is out there and he did play 77/82 in 22-23.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Voted A because I still think our biggest issue is the Ceci spot, which we continue to ignore, but I can’t really have any complaints right now.

In a perfect world we added Hakanpaa instead of Brown and Alex Carrier to replace Ceci, but we can wait until the deadline for a D upgrade.

We can’t go into the playoffs with Nurse - Ceci again

VanCanFanEDM

Mar 22, 2004
Edmonton
On the whole, I think management knocked free agency out of the park... honestly I was expecting to be underwhelmed.. No GM in place, went to game 7... the excuses were in place... but they killed it in my opinion.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I'll say an A, but considering we are over the cap along with 2 more still to sign, I'll wait until our roster is finalized before giving a final grade.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
He'll always be an Oilers legend for mocking Rittich with a fake stick flip after scoring that penalty shot goal against him.

Not sure if it was the same game but I remember there was some dipsy doodle goal he scored that ended up being disallowed (maybe time had expired, if I recall correctly)

FunkyChicken

Jul 24, 2003
Overall A

A++

Henrique - Underrated, does everything well. Like a more gritty, slightly less skilled Nuge. Steal, perhaps the best deal of day 1.

A

Arvidsson - Brings speed, skill and tenacity to the second line. Playoff performer.
Stecher - Small but effective third pairing right D. Cheap.
C. Brown - Came into his own. Playoff performer. Cheap.

B

Skinner - Scorer. Doesn't defend well. Will his scoring balance out by playing with Draisaitl vs. limited PP minutes?
Janmark - Like C. Brown, but falls to a B due to slightly higher AAV.

C

Pickard - Not sold that he's a legit backup yet. Same price as Kahkonen.

D

J. Brown - Weird to sign a older 7th D for three years. Hope he is better than what I've read.

F

Perry - With the new additions, not sure he can even make the roster. AAV could have been better spent elsewhere. Rather have league minimum, more speed and PKer on the bottom 6.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
A-

Would have given A+ if a change had been made to improve 4-6 depth and reduce the cost of players salaries in that grouping. Wink. Wink.

K1900L

Dec 27, 2019
If everyone stays/becomes healthy through the season and most importantly a potential playoff run, they basically add Draisaitl, Kane, Skinner and Arvidsson to what they didn't have in the Florida-series.

unicornBLOOD

Mar 18, 2022
i hope they keep looking for an upgrade on D, and maybe sign one or two more depth D signings at 1 mill or less. Maybe one more 3rd string goalie for 1 million or less, as insurance. Then, I hope they are patient, no need to scramble and panic to get under the cap at this point, injuries happen in the summer too, training, etc. Kane might not be ready to start, they could always LTIR him to start if they have to, options may present themselves. Love the start to offseason, Jackson's outperformed my wildest hopes of him an as interim GM.

unicornBLOOD

Mar 18, 2022
If everyone stays/becomes healthy through the season and most importantly a potential playoff run, they basically add Draisaitl, Kane, Skinner and Arvidsson to what they didn't have in the Florida-series.
Nurse too, no doubt he was banged up, and hopefully Nurse and Broberg an grow as a pairing over this season as well. McDavid was definitely not at 100 %, he's just so elite, talent wise and hockey IQ wise, that he made adjustments to his play, and had probably the best playoffs of any single player in over 30 years. I have HUGE hopes for this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad