Grade the Oilers FAF

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

How did the Oilers do in FA?

• Total voters

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
A+ for me

What bothered me with past Oilers deadlines and free agencies was a lack of killer instinct and a lack of creativity. Holland never seemed “all in”

Today was the first time in the McDavid era that I felt the management was as aggressive as they possibly could have been and I loved it
Sort of like when Knoblauch started coaching and suddenly he’s making the changes that fans are wanting, because he sees the problems as we see them, and isn’t afraid to be proactive? Is this…competence?

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
We're minus a few mill in cap space and we still need to re-sign Broberg and Hollway. I guess that means a trading is coming at some point in the off-season.

I'm very impressed with what the team did today. They brought back everyone that mattered and added a solid top 6 forward and whatever Skinner is.

It's too bad we let our 1st PP unit play for 90seconds to 2 full minutes all the time. I think our 2nd PP unit has to be deadly next season, as well. Way too much scoring depth now.

Is there any news on how long our players are expected to need to recover? I heard Leon had hand + rib issues. I assume he's expected to be healed up by the start of the season. Is the same recovery time believed to be for Kane as well?

Reactions: Ol' Jase

OfCorsiDid

Time is a flat circle.
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
Went for a round of golf and all hell breaks loose, need some time to digest this but first reaction is HOLY SHIT!

Where’d you play?

I played the Ranch today over by River Cree.

Had a great time on the links and watching Jackson taking care of business.

Only if Ceci can f*** off now.

OfCorsiDid

Time is a flat circle.
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
We're minus a few mill in cap space and we still need to re-sign Broberg and Hollway. I guess that means a trading is coming at some point in the off-season.

I'm very impressed with what the team did today. They brought back everyone that mattered and added a solid top 6 forward and whatever Skinner is.

It's too bad we let our 1st PP unit play for 90seconds to 2 full minutes all the time. I think our 2nd PP unit has to be deadly next season, as well. Way too much scoring depth now.

Is there any news on how long our players are expected to need to recover? I heard Leon had hand + rib issues. I assume he's expected to be healed up by the start of the season. Is the same recovery time believed to be for Kane as well?

PP2 2023/24:

Foegele - McLeod - Kane
Ekholm - Nurse

PP2 2024/25

Skinner - Henrique/McLeod - Arvidsson
Nurse/Ekholm - Kane

That is a f***ing vast improvement. Hell you can sub Henrique/McLeod for McDavid or Draisaitl if the PP1 gets too stale.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
I gave an A because I suppose it was possible to improve RD somehow through a trade. That’s the only thing I really want improved at this point so I’m really happy with what Jackson and his team has done, just a fantastic job.

They kept the tremendous 3rd line and they added 2 top six options, while keeping Kane.

The only area they got worse is losing Vinny but he would be the 7th D as the roster stands now.

Maybe you can move Kane and Ceci for a 2nd pair RD, we might be deep enough at forward to go for that upgrade. But man it run it, I like this lineup. Sign Draisaitl and Bouchard if possible and just rest up for next season.

Edit: and we’re 2.5 over the cap. So I guess Kane/Ceci/McLeod are players that might go to make room for Holloway and Broberg.

There’s also the possibility of trades with any of those 5 players.

Last edited:

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
The prices paid are outstanding. No idea if they are the right pieces. Examples; no right handed centre, goaltending/defence stands pat, Henrique's foot speed to play centre for 2 more years, Skinner has obvious red flags, is Arvidsson going to make me wince by flopping around on the ice like a fish?

But the great thing is all of these deals are short enough that they can be easily dealt with if they don't work out. So B+ for now.

BertMcDrai

Middle old guy loving sports
Nov 26, 2018
Wow...after that Game 7 loss I was quite sure that I would stay away from HF until preseason...but now I am totally back...and the best thing is, we have gone all in to get some wingers for Drai, which will immensely increase his will to stay and maybe will leave some money on the table and that's the key to keep McD who I am pretty sure will leave money on the table to win here...that was free agency chess from Jackson (and whoever had a hand in this).

Great feeling only a few days after that G7 loss.

The Batman

Registered Superhero
Sep 30, 2014
Batcave
CehOiM5.gif

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
A+

Sure you can point at the defence, but what move was there that upgraded it? Perhaps moving Ceci out the door and bringing back Vinny or someone like Hakanpaa could have saved 1.5mil, but the Oil like Cody and his versatility. Just keep him the f**k away from Nurse.

The Oil also finally have a play driver from the wing with Arvidsson. Skinner's also a nice fit, as both guys are near automatic in and around the net. Big thing for me, going to McDrai isn't a death sentence for the second line, as Skinner/Arvidsson are perfect wingers for RNH.

Though getting the 3rd line locked up is the biggest win of the day imo. They added a lot of offence, and having a line that you know can lock things down is massive.

Also depth: Kane should miraculously heal before game one. While Holloway and McLeod give you depth that can play up and down the lineup while starting on the 4th line. Holloway and Lavoie should just be super glued to Perry to learn as much as possible.

Truth be told, it wouldn't surprise me if this ends up being a lower-scoring season for McDavid and Drai. I think they'll be as effective as ever, but the Oil shouldn't need to spam their usage this year, especially on the PP.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
The defense and goaltending is good enough to get us into playoffs with another 100+ pt season.
We can make an add or two at the trade deadline and just go with what we have.

Getting under the cap is the next big challenge.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Always a good day when you have the length/cap hit we gave out.

Would be nice to shore up defense a bit, but seems that they'll give Broberg his shot and take a look later in the year if we need to make a move.

Given the options and what guys went for I think I'm happier to be "stuck" with Ceci for just one more year at 3.25mil. Don't think there was a lot out there that made sense for us anyway. Not unless you want to get a different type of d-man and just be locked in for 3-5 years.

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
A, absolute master class.

Would give A+ but would have preferred no Brown and Perry cap to be a bit lower. I know im nitpicking, but when your a stanley cup contending organization, standards are extremely high.

Well done JJ. Very impressed.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
I'd say A-/B+. Still would like to see an upgrade on defense but other than that I've got no complaints.
This.

Ceci and Kulak needed to be moved and a proper Nurse partner needed to be acquired.

Full credit where it's due though Jackson had himself a great FA. Best forward core on paper since the 80s and it's not even close.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I'm giving an A and not an A+ because the defense still needs a little work but that's likely more of a trade deadline thing.

Grading the moves individually....

Pickard 2 years $1m - A
Played as well as can be as a backup last season, saved their bacon in the Canucks series and got him for near minimum for the next 2 years, great locker room guy too by all accounts. Perfect

C. Brown 1 year $1m - A
Perfect number but was hoping for an extra year or two so I downgraded from A+

Arvidsson 2 years $8m - A+
Ideal number and term, best case scenario contract. Health is a bit of a concern but this is a 25 goal, 60 point guy who plays fast and gritty. He was my #1 realistic FA target so...mission accomplished

Perry 1 year $1.4m (bonuses included) - C
The one move I didn't like and especially now that they filled out the forward group after this signing. I get the locker room aspect of it but I don't think this is a team at this point in their development that needs a locker room guy anymore. I like the gamesmanship he brings but he looked two steps behind in the playoffs and I'd prefer to have a spot for somebody like Lavoie, need to get some youth injected into the lineup.
Not a crippling deal by any means but I could have done without it

Skinner 1 year $3m - A-
Can't ever complain about getting a 30 goal scorer for $3m. He scores a lot of goals in tight, with he and Hyman flanking McDavid, he might get like 150 assists haha. I give a little below an A because he's pretty soft but I'll get over it when he's pumping in 30+ goals next season

Janmark 3 years $4.35m - A+
Love the term, the AAV and the player. Thrilled to have him back. People talk about his playoffs but he was also solid in the regular season and there were several games when the team was dead team skating and he sparked them with a fight or a physical play.

Henrique 2 years $6m - A
See Janmark comments. My only slight worry is his age and the inevitable fall off but Henrique is the type of player who should be solid late into his 30s. It was crucial to bring The Identity 3 back (like a version of that great Islanders 4th line that changed tides in games regularly and played with an identity) and it was done at less than 5.5m.

J. Brown - 3 years $3m - B
#7 Dman - Vinny replacement, fill in for #6 if need be. Solid depth

Stecher - 2 years $787K/per - A
This is great value for him. I'm quite frankly surprised that no team threw a $1-1.5m offer his way.
Clear top 6 Dman IMO, gives the Oilers the flexibility to pursue a Ceci trade if need be.

Overall an A. I think he surpassed most of our expectations, not much more needs to be said. Team is ready to make a big run again and for more than 1 year.

Last edited:

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Easily an A+. Virtually the entire roster is back and with added bonuses in skinner and Arvidson. Players have the chemistry (outside of the new players coming in), know the systems and know their roles already.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
A-/B+: Like what we did with the mid-tier players picking up Arvidsson, Skinner, and Henrique at 10 million combined, all 3 who have a high chance of outperforming their cap number. Low term too. Love bringing back Pickard for cheap too. A few eyebrow raiser moves like bringing back Perry and signing Josh Brown, but those are low risk moves that can easily be buried for a few hundred thousand and zero cap penalties respectively. To give an A+/A, I would like to see us fix the 2RHD situation tho, preferably somehow moving out Kulak+Ceci and picking up a 4-5 million dollar dman. Easier said than done tho.

That being said if Jeff Jackson hires Stan Bowman. This all immediately becomes an F.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
After yesterday, I wouldn’t be surprised if the D gets upgraded before the season starts. I am assuming it probably has to be done via trade.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Only complaints are not moving Ceci (or Nurse lol) but there's a whole offseason for that and that team speed remains an issue, but that's minor.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad