Boston Bruins Grade the Bruins Deadline

Grade?

• Total voters

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
I have decided to upgrade my Trade Deadline grade from a C+ to a B-.
I'm gonna bump mine up to a B. The more I think about it and watch them play the more I like it. At the time, I really wanted to get a guy like Palmieri or Hoffman but now I'm thinking we were better off not giving up what those guys would've cost. If Rask is playing his best and we stay healthy, I could see this team making a serious cup run.

Reactions: EvilDead

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
Giving it in the A's. Got two middle 6 players without selling the farm. Johansson and Coyle will help this team a lot and for only the price of Donato, 2nd, 4th, and 6th.

I know everyone was drooling over the possibility of Stone, but you don't always need to hit the home run players to have a very good deadline.

Reactions: Glove Malfunction

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
do you care about scoring more than opponents or just goals for?

New Jersey has allowed 54 more goals than the Bruins. Do you really think the MoJo trade is an F because the team he was on is bad??

What silly reasoning. I don't LOVE the trade mostly because I wish they made a bigger splash, but it was a necessary addition.

Reactions: EvilDead

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
I took my time this year as I always over react to something that I have no knowledge about. (other players). I gave this team a B+ as others have said adding 2 top 9 forwards and MoJo looks like he has played here for years already.

Cost for Stone was too high, Panarin didn't go anywhere, what else can you ask for?

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
yeah but that`s not the plan on Hf:naughty:

All I recall from draft day was that he was going to be an exercise in patience as he`ll be a bit of a project. Honestly, I`m a bit more suprised/disappointed we haven`t seen Zboril take bigger strides to this point, really thought, even though he`s a D-man, that he`d be ready sooner

Do you remember that analysts noted his physicality but also a troubling tendency to disappear?

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Do you remember that analysts noted his physicality but also a troubling tendency to disappear?

Sure do, saw it for myself during his Junior career but I thought the kid would be quick to grow his game. Now, not going to call him quite a bust yet, not my way of doing things with any prospect, Bruin or otherwise.

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
Giving it in the A's. Got two middle 6 players without selling the farm. Johansson and Coyle will help this team a lot and for only the price of Donato, 2nd, 4th, and 6th.

I know everyone was drooling over the possibility of Stone, but you don't always need to hit the home run players to have a very good deadline.
Coyle with term and I bet Donny signs Marcus for 3 yrs after the season. Excellent management. No rock the boat selling the farm trades .

Reactions: FanSince72

Bumper

Apr 16, 2018
(Only) Halfway To Everywhere
....Do you really think the MoJo trade is an F because the team he was on is bad?...
nobody else on his team had that many minuses. it is like the Bruins saw a bad team and had to get some -- they went the literal bottom of the bottom. it was silly to insist on adding the biggest minus they could locate. they sure did it, though. I hope to see him change into a helpful addition.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
nobody else on his team had that many minuses.

Johansson was a -15 for New Jersey.

Severson is a -19
Vatanen is a -15
Zajac is a -14
Brett Seny is a -13
Miles Wood is a -9

Those are the Bottom 5 "minus players" on the New Jersey Devils, who have TWO players that are plus/even that have more than 30 games played. So your comment was wrong to start because he wasn't the worst +/- on his team.

it is like the Bruins saw a bad team and had to get some -- they went the literal bottom of the bottom. it was silly to insist on adding the biggest minus they could locate. they sure did it, though. I hope to see him change into a helpful addition.

Jesus, why do you put so much weight into plus/minus anyway? Does this have to do with that terrible rating system? Johansson is a good player. He was on a bad team. They don't score a lot of goals. You know that Johansson ranked 5th for NJD in PPG pace, right? His 27 points were good for 8th on the team, and he played in 48 games for them. Only Taylor Hall and Jesper Bratt played in less/equal games than Johansson that were above him in total points.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
points versus goals against is obvious. I am not sorry for seeing it clearly.

Can you even prove the GA that he's on the ice for are his fault?

Don't you realize that when a player has a negative +/- you blame the player and when they have a positive +/- you dismiss it and call it more of a "team" stat?

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
plus minus requires a much deeper analysis... much like faceoffs... much like hits

a guy who throws hits that take him out of the play and creates chances against the team is far less valuable then a guy who throws hits that sperate the opponent from the puck and create good opportunities.

guys who can buckle down and win more dzone faceoffs or ozone faceoffs is more important than a guy who might pad his numbers in the neutral zone if the other coach is putting their weakest guy out there

ultimately trying to make any decesions based strictly on numbers is quite stupid. theres no numbers that teach you hockey better than your eye test can. watch the games

if the numbers confirm what you already knew... they are probably useful numbers.

I mean I don't need to be told that pastnak and marchand are better players than accari and Nordstrom because they have more goals. watching the game will easily tell you who is better within 10 mins even if you've never seen a game before.

when I watch a guy like torey krug play for a season... I will be very surprised if he ends up being a positive player. the plus/minus might not tell the whole story, but sometimes it reflects what is happening out there. krug makes the type of mistakes that end up in the net.

when I watch a guy like zdeno chara play... sure he might get beaten wide by speed... but it never is a surprise when he is a huge plus. it doesn't matter if hes playing dzone starts against the other teams top scorers. goals just don't go in very often against chara. im never surprised when he is a huge plus

plus/minus sometimes backs up what we see on the ice with our eyes... in fact, I would dare say it usually does

Reactions: NoregreB

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Connor McDavid is a -4...he sucks

im going to bet with you Donnie... 10 years from now... McDavid should have played on some good teams by that time. im going to bet hes never among the top plus/minus players in the league.

no, he might not suck... but his game style opens his team up to be exploited. hes by no means the worst defensive player I ever saw but like Crosby hes not the greatest either.

Crosby has only been above plus 20 once in his career.
Johnathon toews 5 times
Patrice Bergeron 4 times
anze kopitar 4 times

the number does tell us something over time... who actually is great defensive players who impact the game

and who score a lot of points without actually doing a great job defensively

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
for those upset we got 'no name' additions... I wonder are you the same people that say no one should overpay at deadline?

are you the same people that say trade deadline acquistions are always garbage?

last year people gush at how Washington picked up some non-descript dman from Chicago... such a smart trade they say... cheap... but perfect fit...

we got the biggest name on the market and everyone is still bitching the price we paid and how it didn't help us in the second round.

this year we went and got 2 fairly non-descript depth players at an affordable cost. isn't that what you all were screaming for all along?

{at least until visions of stone and painanien were put in our heads by the insiders... I don't think anyone was crying for them until they got linked to us in rumor gossip}

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Coyle with term and I bet Donny signs Marcus for 3 yrs after the season. Excellent management. No rock the boat selling the farm trades .

I just crunched the cap numbers... if we do move backes/miller and replace them with 2 elc contracts next year, we would have room for all our ufa/rfa and that includes resigning marcus Johansson to around 4 mill for 3 years

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I just crunched the cap numbers... if we do move backes/miller and replace them with 2 elc contracts next year, we would have room for all our ufa/rfa and that includes resigning marcus Johansson to around 4 mill for 3 years

Donnie's biggest problem there is he is only going to have a couple of days to work on Signings, trades etc. between the cup finals and the draft, and he is likely to be drunk and/or on duck boats for most of that time

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad