Gorges overpaid?

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Do you think Josh Gorges is overpaid? He has a 6 years contract at almost 4M per year(3.9 to be exact). I know he brings a lot of leadership and he plays well defensively but is it worth the money? I don't think he is the type of guy that will get better with age... I will not be suprised that we want to get ride of him at the end of his contract because of his cap hit.

Players with similar contract: http://capgeek.com/comparables/?season=2012&player=83

I think the problem was that we signed him when he was playing at his best. Normally I think he should had have 3.5M/5 years.

What is your opinion on this? Agree or not?

He is absolutely not overpaid.

Roulin

Mar 21, 2007
Montreal
IMO Gorges' salary is pretty team friendly, for a complementary top 3/4 dman who has hit UFA age. Anyway, it's not like the team had anywhere close to a cheaper option as good as Gorges.

As useful as Diaz is, I don't think it's fair to partner Gorges with him and use them as a shutdown pair. It's possible Therrien has kept Gorges-Subban apart for personal reasons... if so, it's time for everyone to suck it up and get back together for the good of the team.

Ghetto Sangria

Apr 14, 2009
I was actually gonna start a thread about Gorges. I know this board has a love affair with him for whatever reason but I've got no idea why.

He's terrible on the PP, he's small and weak, and has a soft shot yet he's our 4 million #4 D, because he blocks a lot of shots?

I'm not trying to offend but I don't see why he's regarded as such a big part of this team?

Gorges is not weak at all! Very strong on his skates and always plays the body well, no matter who it is. And its very rare that he will screw up in his own zone. A top 4 player on any team.

habdynasty

May 26, 2008
Ya he is overpaid,I hope the Habs get a couple of bigger physical dmen in the next few years.. Tinordi being one of them.

HeShootsHeScores

Mar 17, 2009
He'd died on the ice for this team, but he lacks speed, strength, he is not intimidating, can't shoot a puck to the net.

There is some double standard in here for gorges, compared to bégin, bouillon, darche, which would also give their heart to wear the ch logo, and also blocked their fair share of shots. Overpaid? Yes but I don't really care because I see he cares for the team.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
One of the greatest shot blocker and defensive minded Dman out there with great leadership qualities for 6 years @ 3,9M? If he is overpaid right now, it's marginally at best, and with the cap continually increasing, he'll most definitely end up a bargain by the end of his contract.

He didn't take a hometown discount to resign here, that's for sure, but he didn't screw us over either.

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
It's funny, though. Gorges can get a 4M 6 year contract and not be overpaid but in the PK thread people were saying he didn't deserve more than a 2 year bridge deal.

If Gorges gets 4M then PK should get 8. His leadership at least from what I can see is overblown. Talking out against players to the media is not leadership. He is a warrior, though...I just don't think he's as good as habs fans make him out to be. Blocks shots and stays injury free, but can't clear the net, brings ZERO offensively, and has marginal physical presence.

He is overpaid but I can live with it. Blocking shots and leadership should not garner a $4Mx6 year contract.

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
It's funny, though. Gorges can get a 4M 6 year contract and not be overpaid but in the PK thread people were saying he didn't deserve more than a 2 year bridge deal.

If Gorges gets 4M then PK should get 8. His leadership at least from what I can see is overblown. Talking out against players to the media is not leadership.
He is a warrior, though...I just don't think he's as good as habs fans make him out to be. Blocks shots and stays injury free, but can't clear the net, brings ZERO offensively, and has marginal physical presence.

He is overpaid but I can live with it. Blocking shots and leadership should not garner a $4Mx6 year contract.

Then what do you know about his leadership? He got an "A" on his jersey, AFAIK, its not the fans that votes for the assistant-captain. So there's that, he's being recognize for his leadership by the management and teammates that's why he has an "A" on his jersey. He's just as vocal on the ice or in the dressing room and is not scared talking to the media. He's a warrior on the ice and always gives his best shifts after shifts. He's not shy to drop gloves to defend a teammates even if he sucks at fighting. How dare you say his leadership is overblown? What more do you want him to do? And we are just talking about the "A" captain here.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Not even a little bit.

Subban wasn't part of the team when he talked about him either. :)

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
He is definitely overpaid, but that's no surprise here in Montreal..we have to overpay to keep or sign any new players. But yes he is overpaid. Someone said before he is strong on his skates..are kidding me, he cannot go one shift without falling down. Just look at him more closely when he's chasing an opposing players he almost always ends up on his ass somehow. To me he is always scrambling, desperately blocking shots while on the floor and to some that might seem like a good thing...but he's always in desperate situations because he puts himself there to begin with because he is such a bad skater. He also often gets smoked by a big hit, some people will say he's taking one for the team..but that's more about him always being caught with his head down, good defencemen rarely get hit hard. Offensively forget about it..useless! His idea of a breakout from his zone is a slapshot on the boards and hope somehow a winger can bat it down. I still like him and his heart but he is overpaid. On a contender he is a 5-6. The devils have about 10 guys like him in their organization

Last edited:

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
He is definitely overpaid, but that's no surprise here in Montreal..we have to overpay to keep or sign any new players. But yes he is overpaid. Someone said before he is strong on his skates..are kidding me, he cannot go one shift without falling down. Just look at him more closely when he's chasing an opposing players he almost always ends up on his ass somehow. To me he is always scrambling, desperately blocking shots while on the floor and to some that might seem like a good thing...but he always he desperate situations because he puts himself there to begin with because he is such a bad skater. He also often gets smoked by a big hit, some people will say he's taking one for the team..but that's more about him always being caught with his head down, good defencemen rarely get hit hard. Offensively forget about it..useless! His idea of a breakout from his zone is a slapshot on the boards and hope somehow a winger can bat it down. I still like him and his heart but he is overpaid. On a contender he is a 5-6. The devils have about 10 guys like him in their organization
lol wut?

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
He is definitely overpaid, but that's no surprise here in Montreal..we have to overpay to keep or sign any new players. But yes he is overpaid. Someone said before he is strong on his skates..are kidding me, he cannot go one shift without falling down. Just look at him more closely when he's chasing an opposing players he almost always ends up on his ass somehow. To me he is always scrambling, desperately blocking shots while on the floor and to some that might seem like a good thing...but he always he desperate situations because he puts himself there to begin with because he is such a bad skater. He also often gets smoked by a big hit, some people will say he's taking one for the team..but that's more about him always being caught with his head down, good defencemen rarely get hit hard. Offensively forget about it..useless! His idea of a breakout from his zone is a slapshot on the boards and hope somehow a winger can bat it down. I still like him and his heart but he is overpaid. On a contender he is a 5-6. The devils have about 10 guys like him in their organization

Name them. I challenge you.

onemorecup*

He's definately overpaid but he's a great player and it's not a huge margin.

I tought he was closer to 3 than 4 but ...

he is a 2.5 mil d man at best , way overpaid dont get me wrong u need Jorges types on your team absolutely but 3.9 is way too much . Like Ken Holland says , u dont give a d man 4 mil unless he can help u offensively even if he plays well defensively.

This is the problem with this league , grossly overpaying 4-5th d man , 40-50 point forwards , and paying superstar money to Cammy, Gomez and Drury types

AND THEY NEVER LEARN LOCKOUT AFTER LOCKOUT

and who is available at the trade deadline , the same fool u overpaid :help:

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Small dmen who average around 10 pts a year and are responsible in their own end? Sorry, they aren't hard to find.
He averages around 15, thanks. :)

And how many of these "small, 10pts, good defensive dmen" can you name that are always one of the top shot blockers in the league?

otto bond

Jan 8, 2007
Do you think Josh Gorges is overpaid? He has a 6 years contract at almost 4M per year(3.9 to be exact). I know he brings a lot of leadership and he plays well defensively but is it worth the money? I don't think he is the type of guy that will get better with age... I will not be suprised that we want to get ride of him at the end of his contract because of his cap hit.

Players with similar contract: http://capgeek.com/comparables/?season=2012&player=83

I think the problem was that we signed him when he was playing at his best. Normally I think he should had have 3.5M/5 years.

What is your opinion on this? Agree or not?

90% of players are over paid:nod:

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Yea, he should be around 3M at the most.
He's a more effective Bouillon without the checking. But, doesn't matter.

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
Small dmen who average around 10 pts a year and are responsible in their own end? Sorry, they aren't hard to find.

Lol when i see people talking about Gorges point total, it only shows he doesnt what Gorges brings to a team so I wont take the time to argue wit you. Ypu think Gorges is getting paid 4M for his 10 pts per year? :laugh:

Anyways, next.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
The best comparable is Michalek. Basically the same defenseman. Michalek actually makes $100K more too.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
He averages around 15, thanks. :)

And how many of these "small, 10pts, good defensive dmen" can you name that are always one of the top shot blockers in the league?

I was generous, his career is 8.5 pts avg thus far.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Lol when i see people talking about Gorges point total, it only shows he doesnt what Gorges brings to a team so I wont take the time to argue wit you. Ypu think Gorges is getting paid 4M for his 10 pts per year? :laugh:

Anyways, next.

So I guess the point total only matters when its a player a fan likes, gotcha. I could argue a lot of overpaid players bring certain intangibles to a team, no problem.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad