OT: Gooooooal!! The Association Football Thread #124 - USMNT, PL, MLS, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
When thinking about USSF I'm reminded what the late great Bobby Heenan said when asked what he would've done if he were in charge of WCW: "I'd get everyone in a room and roll in a hand grenade".

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
and there is not a chance that a team that couldnt win in T&T has any hope in front of an AUSTRALIAN crowd.

Regardless of whether that is true or not, they should currently have that chance. But they don't.

And frankly, I do think they'd beat Australia to make the World Cup.

As horrible a first half as they played last night, USA had possession for almost 2/3 of the game, and the first T&T goal was a 1 in a million bizarre own goal. It was just a nightmarish confluence of bizarre things last night.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ

FIFA didnt reverse the Henry handball in 2009, they arent reversing this.

Agreed; I'm just saying both Honduras and USA should file the protest they're entitled to to shed even more light on the slime.

Force CONCACAF to install goaline replay and remove another weapon from the corruption arsenal.

IcedMaidenDeth

Feb 7, 2010
New Jersey
I really hope instant replay is implemented for the World Cup, or at the very least, by the start of the next qualifying cycle. Some of these calls have been ridiculous and they've absolutely changed who made it and who didn't.

But... USA does not deserve to qualify. We're an absolute mess. Our defense has been pathetic. Goalkeeping has been uncharacteristically weak. We have no creativity going forward aside for one young player.

And I don't feel like we've developed any actual players over the last World Cup cycle (other than Pulisic of course). I remember last World Cup being excited about the future with Green and Johannsson. And around that same time Ream and Agudelo had good initial showings. None of them were here now when it mattered though.

I don't think the women have been much better off either. They've been completely underwhelming since the World Cup win. Everyone in USSF needs to go.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
That Henry handball isn't anywhere near as bad as the fake goal from Panama. At least France actually put the ball in the net.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I could have sworn they do have goal replay in the WC, I don't understand why you can't do it in qualifiers. You can put a HD camera almost anywhere these days.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
That Henry handball isn't anywhere near as bad as the fake goal from Panama. At least France actually put the ball in the net.

You're correct, I just used Henry as an example, as it's the last "most important" FIFA error that altered the fate of World Cup teams.

But yes, this one is even more bizarre, as there was no reason to award a goal.

Not even a sliver of the ball was over the line, let alone the whole ball, and you're telling me neither the ref nor the 2 assistant refs (who are allowed to help in that instance) saw it? It's just completely bizarre and reeks of corruption.

It's one thing to be wrong on a ball that's partially over the line, but it's quite another to claim a ball that's in front of the goal post and not at all over the line is a goal. So it's more accurate to say that the 3 refs "saw something that never happened", which is not possible.

Reactions: Satans Hockey

NJDevils7

Feb 13, 2007
New York
Pretty good point that I hadn't thought about until you said it. Where is the future aside from Puilisic? What good young American player has shown himself to be capable of playing in Europe?

Tyler Adams, Weston Mckinnie, Josh Sargent, Cameron Carter Vickers, Matt Miazga, Deandre Yedlin are our best prospects moving forward

NJDevils7

Feb 13, 2007
New York
How about Andrew Carleton? Only 17 and in MLS (even if he really doesnt play).
Yea I've heard about him too. Lynden Gooch also. These players should start playing for the USMNT immediately now. Honestly, basically everyone aside from Pulisic and Yeadlin (maybe Ariolla, Acosta) should never wear the jersey again.

Its a Trap

Yes I’m still here to piss you off
Tyler Adams, Weston Mckinnie, Josh Sargent, Cameron Carter Vickers, Matt Miazga, Deandre Yedlin are our best prospects moving forward
Does Yedlin really count? He's been in and out of the squad since before the 2014 world cup and he's 24. And Miazga? God haven't even heard his name since he got shipped off to Chelsea last year.

NJDevils7

Feb 13, 2007
New York
Does Yedlin really count? He's been in and out of the squad since before the 2014 world cup and he's 24. And Miazga? God haven't even heard his name since he got shipped off to Chelsea last year.

Yedlin has really only been out of the squad when hurt. He really improved his game at New Castle when they were in the Championship and has just been getting back in the lineup with them now in the Prem after recovering from injury. I never thought Miazga was THAT good here in New York but he has been putting together some decent results with Vitesse in the Dutch league. (haven't watched myself but they have had good results against decent teams of late)

njdevsfn95

Help JJJ, Sprite.
Jul 30, 2006
The problem with many Americans going overseas, especially England, is they are attracted to the big sides like Chelsea.

Chelsea has something like 35 players ON LOAN! No way will Miazga ever see the pitch for Chelsea.

They need to go to smaller Euro sides and play first-team football. Gooch is at sunderland and is playing a lot in the Championship as far as I'm aware.

Yedlin spent a year in the Championship but he has improved because of Rafa Benitez. (I have forgiven him for playing for Sunderland.)

Altidore benefitted from a season or two in the Eredevisie. He also went to a Sunderland and the only thing I remember him doing there was leaving off a pass to Borini at the top of the Newcastle 18 and breaking my heart. Anyway I digress....

Many of the good Americans are a bit too good for MLS (in terms of benefitting from playing in the league) but not good enough for the top sides in many Euro leagues. They are, however, good enough for smaller clubs in some of the bigger leagues.

Until the USSF figures out proper development (too late for any player 12 and older essentially) they need to look abroad.

NJDevils7

Feb 13, 2007
New York
From the NYCFC website - "If NYCFC finishes as the Eastern Conference’s first or second seed, the second leg of the Conference semifinals will be played on Wednesday, November 1, instead of Sunday, November 5 due to an event that will take place at Yankee Stadium scheduled prior to the 2017 MLS season."

Leg 1 of the Conference semifinals is scheduled for either that Monday or Tuesday. How could they possibly play leg 2 on Wednesday??? Oh and the event they refer to is a Rutgers vs Maryland football game lol.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
From the NYCFC website - "If NYCFC finishes as the Eastern Conference’s first or second seed, the second leg of the Conference semifinals will be played on Wednesday, November 1, instead of Sunday, November 5 due to an event that will take place at Yankee Stadium scheduled prior to the 2017 MLS season."

Leg 1 of the Conference semifinals is scheduled for either that Monday or Tuesday. How could they possibly play leg 2 on Wednesday??? Oh and the event they refer to is a Rutgers vs Maryland football game lol.

Yeah that makes no sense and it's not even like you can move up game 1 cause the knockout round games are the 25th/26th

They moved their last regular season game to Citi field too...

https://www.nycfc.com/post/2017/10/...s-venue-change-final-game-2017-regular-season

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
Bruce Arena resigned, it shouldn't taken this long and he had the nerve to say that he wasn't interested in coaching another world cup cycle. What a f***ing clown, good riddance.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
You can tell Gulati probably "suggested" that Arena resign. If Arena was actually resigning of his own accord, he would have done so immediately after the T&T match.

Gulati maintaining his position cements US Soccer's status as an amateur program.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
You can tell Gulati probably "suggested" that Arena resign. If Arena was actually resigning of his own accord, he would have done so immediately after the T&T match.

Gulati maintaining his position cements US Soccer's status as an amateur program.

Don't they have an election for president soon? And I saw somewhere on Twitter that the position of president doesn't even get paid lol. Small wonder they can only attract incompetent buffoons to run for the post.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Don't they have an election for president soon? And I saw somewhere on Twitter that the position of president doesn't even get paid lol. Small wonder they can only attract incompetent buffoons to run for the post.
Don't kid yourself: being the most powerful man in American soccer means getting paid in other ways.

Reactions: BenedictGomez

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Don't kid yourself: being the most powerful man in American soccer means getting paid in other ways.

Seems to be the way INT soccer works.

With all expense paid "business trips" on G5 jets to fabulous destinations, expensive "gifts" that can easily be liquidated for cash, and of course, the time-honored BJ. FIFA & IOC are gangsta'.

AveryQuietMan

free chinese food for everyone
Oct 2, 2017
Good. I know it sounds ignorant of me, but I cant stand looking at him.

He's like a big, goofy, arrogant, clown. One of those people that just bothers you, though you just cant put your finger on why.

hes just creepy, its not ignorance it might be the opposite. i can see him a year from now sitting and the end of a bar somewhere. shirt unbuttoned, chest hairs hanging out, undressing people with his eyes. *shudders*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad