Waived: Goodrow waived (claimed by San Jose Sharks)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
SJ doesn’t have any more retention slots. One opens up after next season.
Grier has really f***ed up in that regard. I mean I don't have an issue using those slots for big name guys (Burns, EK65, Hertl). But if you are going to retain for multiple years, you better retain properly and get compensated for it properly. Those slots are valuable, and the way they are retaining 1,3 and 1,5 million for multiple years and basically got NOTHING in return is just disastrous GM'ing.

Last edited:

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Him being waived points to the fact that one way or the other he won't be here next year. If he's claimed then great, but if he's not then there is literally no reason for nyr to no buy him out. They already took the step to waive him and offer him for free, so at that point what doesn't it matter for the org to pay that buyout money. It's the same conclusion in the end sans a little cap difference and a little more embarrassment for the player. Either way they showed their hand/plan

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Make thread live, please?
IMG_6440.gif

majordomo

Oct 29, 2023
NYC
If he doesn't get claimed it seems highly likely that he will be bought out
I was just reading this article:

Near the end of the article is the following:

"If the Sharks don't claim Goodrow, the Rangers will have between 48 hours following the end of the Stanley Cup Final and June 30th to cut the 31-year-old."

I'm probably wrong, but this seems to indicate Rangers can release him (the same way Hawks dropped Perry) rather than buy him out.

frozenrubber

Sponsor
Nov 27, 2005
Brooklyn
I was just reading this article:

Near the end of the article is the following:

"If the Sharks don't claim Goodrow, the Rangers will have between 48 hours following the end of the Stanley Cup Final and June 30th to cut the 31-year-old."

I'm probably wrong, but this seems to indicate Rangers can release him (the same way Hawks dropped Perry) rather than buy him out.

No, they will need to waive him again for the purpose of buying out, to begin the buyout process. That is the process, 48 window after the SC Final is indicated in the CBA.

Rangers waiving him now is signaling he's available for free, not that they intend to buy him out (even though that is still on the table).

Perry's contract was terminated for "engaged in conduct that is unacceptable and in violation of both the terms of his standard players’ contract and the Blackhawks' internal policies intended to promote professional and safe work environments". Corey Perry never officially opened a grievance (most likely was trying to avoid additional embarrasment, but he did reach a resolution with the NHL).

Reactions: majordomo

frozenrubber

Sponsor
Nov 27, 2005
Brooklyn
Can't wait for the Ty Emberson and Barclay Goodrow jersey retirement ceremonies in San Jose.

Good for Goodrow, he got his bag and gets to return to a team/area he knows. A part of his jaw will forever been frozen into Garden ice (...and our of minds, I wish I could forget that injury)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad