Waived: Goodrow waived (claimed by San Jose Sharks)

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Not sure why they would trade us Kostin, let alone for Goodrow. He played well for them after he was traded to them at the end of the season, and still a RFA after next season.

It’s going to be like the NYR 1st , Edstrom plus another ok asset for the NJ 2nd and a Sturm or Ruuta dump

It’s 3 yrs of Goodrow factored in

• Haha
Reactions: RangersFan1994

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
It’s going to be like the NYR 1st , Edstrom plus another ok asset for the NJ 2nd and a Sturm or Ruuta dump

It’s 3 yrs of Goodrow factored in
I've been wanting Sturm for the past two deadlines. But not for Edstrom and a 1st. That's just bonkers. Even with dumping Goodrow. Sorry, gonna puke right now.

Reactions: NYRFANMANI

surlysailor

May 12, 2012
BK
I still think if he goes to SJ there is someone coming back. I’ve mentioned Kostin in the past. He’s a big bodied winger who had some success in Edmonton. RW. He will drop the gloves if needed. He has 1 year left at $2m. That would make some sense.
I wonder if sturm could be coming back, but an overpay for him around the draft. Not sure what it would be but hopefully it doesn’t end up something like sturm for goodrow & 30th overall or berard. Hopefully it’s Robertson.

Wonder if it could be something bigger like goodrow, kk/30th & jones for Ferraro. Personally I want jones on this team next year but could see pl/drury being sold on jones and could want a guy who is an nhl regular and tends to get the tougher match ups.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Even before all this Edstrom was a more valuable asset than Goodrow and so a 1st rounder would be also. Just don't see the Rangers attaching anything of real value to Goodrow to move him back to the Sharks or anywhere else for that matter. A buyout will hurt us one year 2025-26 and that's really it. The point of waiving him now is basically to see if any other team will take him and his contract on. I don't think the Rangers have in mind a trade necessarily to bring back another player and not one like Kostin who is basically a 4th liner too and if he's making $2 mil per and not nearly as rounded as Goodrow what's the point?

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
EF mentioned San Jose on the 32T podcast. Goodrow and his 15 team NTC list. SJ might be on his list. Sharks claim Goodrow on waivers. A few people mentioned that scenario to him. He mentioned TB are hoping to sign Goodrow if the Rangers buy Goodrow out. Barclay doesn't have a NMC. He can be waived. The Sharks are looking for veteran players.

Rangers made this move with Quintal in 2000.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
He’d be going back to a place where he started his career with a shit load more money. And he’s not getting sent to Winnipeg, it’s the Bay Area

He’ll be just fine. If anything it’s a great day for Goodrow
With any luck they will also have a fine team player to help the next young superstar in waiting that being Gavin McKenna via a last place finish for the 2026 draft #1 OA . Barclay will be a great guy to have around in his first season . On the flip side...do teams think that far ahead ?

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
It seems to me that if San Jose wanted Goodrow, they could have easily acquired him for “future considerations” unless there was something else going on. Perhaps they wanted to avoid the $5MM cash hit next year and Drury is forcing their hand.
Unless they're trying to get us to retain, SJ would be paying him 5 mil regardless. Waiving him doesn't force their hand unless there's another team out there willing to claim him.
I still think if he goes to SJ there is someone coming back. I’ve mentioned Kostin in the past. He’s a big bodied winger who had some success in Edmonton. RW. He will drop the gloves if needed. He has 1 year left at $2m. That would make some sense.
Where would Kostin play? Don't be fooled by the 10 points in 19 games on a very bad team. He isn't going to be a top 6 guy. If Kakko gets moved, we have better options to fill that spot. And the last thing we need after dumping an overpaid 4th liner is to bring back an overpaid 4th liner.

I'll miss Goodrow. He was a good Ranger. Wore the sweater well.
I liked the cut of his jib.

Daves a mess

Jan 8, 2014
My only hope is we don’t hunt after Marner, just a hard ass no. Mika and Kreider need a puck transporter/ distributor if they are to remain together. It’s a glaring issue.
Ranger brass basing this summers success on getting Mika and Kreids the right puppy.

Reactions: Tob

Bacon Artemi Bravo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2007
I’d guess that if he does get claimed it’ll leak out before that.

There’s smoke there but it really seems too good to be true.
Mike Grier seems to be about as bad at his job as it would take, so that part of it is believeable lol.

Hilarious he leaked who he's taking #1 overall(obv not a secret, but just a bigtime no no from the NHL side of things)

Mikachu93

Formerly MacTruck
Aug 1, 2010
NY
It seems to me that if San Jose wanted Goodrow, they could have easily acquired him for “future considerations” unless there was something else going on. Perhaps they wanted to avoid the $5MM cash hit next year and Drury is forcing their hand.
Well if SJ was on Goodrow's NTC list, Drury could bypass this by putting him on waivers because SJ has first waiver priority, so no one else could claim him anyway.

This way the Rangers could facilitate a "trade" without actually trading Goodrow. I have a hunch other pieces are involved.

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
I really don’t think SJ claiming Goodrow is a bad move for them, and I don’t think Goodrow is a bad player. He’d still be a Ranger if he made $2M.

San Jose is about $14M below the cap floor and has a ton of young players it wants in the lineup. Goodrow is a good pickup for them to teach those kids how to be a pro, and he’s tradeable at 50% if SJ wants to move him at the deadline or next year. Only a 3 year commitment for a solid leader as they continue to rebuild. I’d be all over that if I was Grier

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
I really don’t think SJ claiming Goodrow is a bad move for them, and I don’t think Goodrow is a bad player. He’d still be a Ranger if he made $2M.

San Jose is about $14M below the cap floor and has a ton of young players it wants in the lineup. Goodrow is a good pickup for them to teach those kids how to be a pro, and he’s tradeable at 50% if SJ wants to move him at the deadline or next year. Only a 3 year commitment for a solid leader as they continue to rebuild. I’d be all over that if I was Grier
Not to mention he spent 6 years in SJ. He's no stranger, knows the organization and the area well.

Although he did not live up to his contract, he was a likeable player here. He should get a nice video/ovation when SJ comes to NY.

(If SJ claims him)

frozenrubber

Sponsor
Nov 27, 2005
Brooklyn

San Jose cannot retain this season, they are already using 3/3 retention slots (Burns, Karlsson, Hertl)

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
eh goodrow is pretty bad except at penalty killing. Some timely playoff goals (and then going quiet again)‘doesn’t change the bigger picture of that. Even at $2 mill you could replace him with a league minimum player and be a better team, and at some point “experience” is either all used up or not enough the balance the rest

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad