Waived: Goodrow waived (claimed by San Jose Sharks)

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
I understand the human being thing I do but its 2 more years then he can decide again pretty much where he wants to go. In some cases its ok for the organizations to what's best for the team.

Dont get me wrong, Im posing this hypothetical as an endorsement of my preferred path forward

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Not to get ahead of myself but this is a shot across the bow of Trouba in some ways, imo. His NMC shifts to an NTC on July 1, and it's possible he could be in the same situation. It kind of nullifies his trade protection. Jacob may have to open up his options to the Rangers in order to actually facilitate a trade to a place he is happy. Because technically the Rangers could waive him and let some bottom feeder uproot his life for the next 2 seasons.
In theory, yes. In practice, I would be shocked if someone touched that 8 million dollars.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
The vast majority of posters in this thread are supporting the move, so don't really get what you are saying. Like I said, I'm 100% for getting rid of Goodrow. Waiving him in the middle of the Stanley Cup finals kinda caught me off guard, not going to lie to you.

Nah, a lot of the initial reaction was surprise and people saying we're waiving the only guy that did anything during the playoffs. It's more of a matter of no matter what they do there are detractors.

And, hey, I support the move too. I like Goodrow. I don't like his contract. We need to stop this revolving door of band-aid 1st line RW'ers that aren't 1st line RW'ers.

Trouba needs to go too. Thank you for your service. Love the guy, but we're not getting past teams like Florida with him on the back end.

Guyute

Sponsor
Feb 17, 2013
I can see it now. Utah, Chicago or San Jose claim him. Retain 50% and trade him to a contender and he wins another cup. Haha
That’s what I was thinking. A team in full rebuild mode could flip him next deadline at 50% for more assets.

Reactions: MrAlmost

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
I can see it now. Utah, Chicago or San Jose claim him. Retain 50% and trade him to a contender and he wins another cup. Haha
That makes sense except that Chi or SJ are paying that 50% for 3 years so whoever trades for Goodrow is going to have to pony up quite a bit. Goodrow at $1.8M is probably his actual value.

I imagine it is cap circumvention if the Rangers trade for him later in the season. All I have to say is please don't buy him out. I hate having all that extra dead cap.

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
If this was done at the end of the regular season, it would make sense.

After he was one of the only guys to consistently show up in the play offs, it's a bit more of a head scratcher.

But yeah. That's a lot of money for a 4th liner.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl

After he was one of the only guys to consistently show up in the play offs, it's a bit more of a head scratcher.

The Rangers need to make a move for a play driving RW for line 1 and a physical LD that can actually play defense. Can't do that with lunch money at a Michelin restaurant.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

He shot 40% in the playoffs and still managed to get outscored when on the ice. That is incredibly hard to do.

I mean credit to him for actually finishing and getting those goals but he was the same guy he has been with the caveat that the puck went in for him. He literally doubled his career playoff goal total in this run, he wasn't going to do that again (and I remain peeved that the Rangers wasted that kind of output. Lucky or whatever, they aren't getting 6 goals out of a 4th liner in a playoff run.)

OTOH, improving the roster so that you don't need 6 goals out of a 4th liner is probably a better game plan.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The vast majority of posters in this thread are supporting the move, so don't really get what you are saying. Like I said, I'm 100% for getting rid of Goodrow. Waiving him in the middle of the Stanley Cup finals kinda caught me off guard, not going to lie to you.
The cup finals could be over by tonight. The NHL calendar is moving fast. The draft is June 28-29. Next Friday-Saturday. NHL free agency starts two days later. Monday.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
He's a good pro but the money saved expands options to do other things. Our two major holes are top 6 RW and probably will need to bring in a D over the summer. Better using cap $'s there than on a 4th line player.

I think the Rangers are also looking at Edstrom and Rempe on the 4th line next year. It may open a spot on the bottom lines for someone else maybe like Berard. But also those guys down on the 4th are going to be young guys who get paid like guys on the bottom lines.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
If there isn't a GM who already phoned in willing to take on Goodrow, this seems like a boneheaded move by Drury. Like you can at least pretend you want to keep Goodrow and trade him. Now you've ceded all negotiation power. If this is for a buyout, well, I get it but it's disappointing to see Drury pay twice for his mistakes.

Mistake 1 signing Patrick Nemeth to a horrible contract and then trading TWO 2nds to dump him
Mistake 2 thinking Sammy Blais was sufficient value for Buch and then trading him back to STL.
Mistake 3 here is thinking Goodrow is worth his $3.6M and then buying him out?

I'm sure I'm missing more mistakes here, folks. Please someone claim him. We need a W here. Not another big fat L. Too many of those this past month.

Last edited:

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
I’m sure they shopped him to all the logical places. Interesting to see if anyone bites. The possibility of working around the NTC may be driving this.

Potential buyout would require a second pass through waivers.

Have to believe there's more coming than just this. Not sure that Drury is a buyout kinda GM - he might just have him in Hartford to start the year if there's no trade to be made.

There are worse guys you could have in the bullpen, that's for sure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad