Waived: Goodrow waived (claimed by San Jose Sharks)

Machinehead

GoAwayBrady
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Accepting a NTC as opposed to a NMC is

1) More attractive to the team.

2) Sort of a bet on yourself. You can play well and get traded. You can get traded because you're playing well. It raises your value. It all depends on the circumstances. A NTC prevents that. Guys have an understanding that if they play like ass, they could still be waived.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
I guess they arent exactly going to run it back. Not like Goodrow is a core piece but they arent creating room just to to sign their RFAs.

Mac n Gs

Drury plz
Jan 17, 2014
He was a good pro and vet for this group, but we all knew that contract wasn’t going to be on the books for its entirety the second it was signed.

He got overplayed too much by Gallant, but Laviolette realized that he filled one specific role on the team and kept him in it. When they’re facing another cap crunch soon, he was the lowest hanging fruit to help clear some space. Somebody will pick him up for cheap pretty quickly if he’s bought out

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Do waivers nullify a NTC?

Serious question, I have no idea.
You already got the short answer, CapFriendly gives you the longer one:

Capture.JPG

I guess they arent exactly going to run it back. Not like Goodrow is a core piece but they arent creating room just to to sign their RFAs.
That much is obvious, and it makes it exciting. Like said before, signing Kakko could also make him more attractive in a trade. There could be big things cooking. Or the Rangers might go after a guy like Guenzel (or hell, even Reinhart I guess).

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
He was a good pro and vet for this group, but we all knew that contract wasn’t going to be on the books for its entirety the second it was signed.

He got overplayed too much by Gallant, but Laviolette realized that he filled one specific role on the team and kept him in it. When they’re facing another cap crunch soon, he was the lowest hanging fruit to help clear some space. Somebody will pick him up for cheap pretty quickly if he’s bought out

And then he'll be earning two checks. Win-win.

Reactions: yrrebbor

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I guess they arent exactly going to run it back. Not like Goodrow is a core piece but they arent creating room to sign RFAs.

They were never going to run it back with exactly the same squad.

We'll know how serious they are about improving the team with what ever comes after this but it's a step in the right direction. We'll see if Drury has the balls to make the "tougher" moves.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Why would anyone claim him? Wouldn't a team who's trying to get to the cap floor just approach the Rangers and say hey we will take Goodrow's contract but add a "x" round pick to him. Seems kind of dumb for a team to claim him in my opinion.

Reactions: yrrebbor

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Not to get ahead of myself but this is a shot across the bow of Trouba in some ways, imo. His NMC shifts to an NTC on July 1, and it's possible he could be in the same situation. It kind of nullifies his trade protection. Jacob may have to open up his options to the Rangers in order to actually facilitate a trade to a place he is happy. Because technically the Rangers could waive him and let some bottom feeder uproot his life for the next 2 seasons.

surlysailor

May 12, 2012
BK
Why would anyone claim him? Wouldn't a team who's trying to get to the cap floor just approach the Rangers and say hey we will take Goodrow's contract but add a "x" round pick to him. Seems kind of dumb for a team to claim him in my opinion.
A team needing to get to the cap floor might be on goodrows no trade list. Nyr can prob make an arrangement like you claim him we’ll trade this prospect or pick for an upcoming ufa or a salary dump back or something

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

As others have speculated, it could basically be that the Rangers had something worked out with another team and he refused to go there so they said "fine, we'll waive you and rid ourselves of the hit" with out anything coming back.

Not sure that this is what happened here but with the timing, the above makes sense. If he goes unclaimed then I dont really get it at all.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017

If a team isnt worried about the contract, he isnt a bad player. A young team outside the playoffs would probably love to have him. Hes also the type of guy they could retain money on and be real valuable at the deadline. Rangers just arent in position for that.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Not to get ahead of myself but this is a shot across the bow of Trouba in some ways, imo. His NMC shifts to an NTC on July 1, and it's possible he could be in the same situation. It kind of nullifies his trade protection. Jacob may have to open up his options to the Rangers in order to actually facilitate a trade to a place he is happy. Because technically the Rangers could waive him and let some bottom feeder uproot his life for the next 2 seasons.
Damn I feel so bad for him. Getting overpaid by about 5 million or so and having to move to some "shitty" place to play for 2 years.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Who knows what the truth is but if it Drury waiving Goodrow because he declined a trade to a team he didn't want to go to good. Drury showing balls unlike many of our previous gm's never did.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Damn I feel so bad for him. Getting overpaid by about 5 million or so and having to move to some "shitty" place to play for 2 years.

I get the sentiment on your end but im sure he doesnt want to leave NYC with a wife who became a doctor here and a newborn kid. They are human beings.

Reactions: yrrebbor and bl02

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
I get the sentiment on your end but im sure he doesnt want to leave NYC with a wife who became a doctor here and a newborn kid. They are human beings.
I understand the human being thing I do but its 2 more years then he can decide again pretty much where he wants to go. In some cases its ok for the organizations to what's best for the team.

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
Well, Drury's got three options now if he goes unclaimed.

1) Keep him and pretend nothing happened (which would be awkward for both parties)
2) Wade Redden him
3) Buy him out

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad