OT: Good Vetenary clinic in Montreal for eye surgery?

LastChancePrice

Dec 12, 2004
Well here is the situation. My cat got an eye ulcers that will probably require surgery. The vet i went referred me to Centre venerinaire DMV in Lachine. After some reading on the internet i just see that they are extremely charging and not the best, maybe.

Do anyone got any recommendation? I read that Liesse Animal Clinic in Dorval look good. But do you any recommendation or feedback about a clinic to operate your animal?

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Well here is the situation. My cat got an eye ulcers that will probably require surgery. The vet i went referred me to Centre venerinaire DMV in Lachine. After some reading on the internet i just see that they are extremely charging and not the best, maybe.

Do anyone got any recommendation? I read that Liesse Animal Clinic in Dorval look good. But do you any recommendation or feedback about a clinic to operate your animal?

Frankly, I always thought that DMV was pretty much one of the best.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
Well i dont know, seriously, but i found this after some search

http://www.vetratingz.com/ratings/1880/Veterinary+Clinic+Centre+Veterinaire+DMV.html

Half of the people who went there seem unhappy. So i dont know. They might be good, but im just hoping they dont charge like 3000$ for it or ill freak out ...

That's what emergency care for an animal costs. It's crazy but you made the commitment. Emergency care is typically $600 a night in hospital plus diagnostics plus treatment plus surgeon costs plus drugs. Plus HST.

Juve

May 13, 2011
Somewhere around the world
That's what emergency care for an animal costs. It's crazy but you made the commitment. Emergency care is typically $600 a night in hospital plus diagnostics plus treatment plus surgeon costs plus drugs. Plus HST.

That's why I got pet insurance. I pay 40$, it covers 90% of the bill for my dog and he's covered for everything, except vaccination shots.

LastChancePrice

Dec 12, 2004

I know i made the commitment. Just trying to find now a kid of cheaper and trusty alternative.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
Mind i ask you where you take these kind of assurance please?

Too late for your eye problems or for any other pre-existing condition the animal has . "Insurance" is something you have to take out almost day 1 when they are kittens and have no medical history.

Juve

May 13, 2011
Too late for your eye problems or for any other pre-existing condition the animal has . "Insurance" is something you have to take out almost day 1 when they are kittens and have no medical history.

Not true, you can insurance the animal at any age. The only difference being it will be much cheaper when the animal is a baby.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
Not true, you can insurance the animal at any age. The only difference being it will be much cheaper when the animal is a baby.

Not true. When making a claim the insurer will look at all existing medical records since birth, pre-existing conditions are not covered.

I know this from experience.

My dog was insured at 2 years old, and he had knee problems at 4 years old. The insurer didn't cover a $1800 surgery because they examined vet records and at a very early age the vet had noted looseness in his knees and possible arthritis.

Our research found that this is standard in all the major animal insurance plans.
Also, if you make a claim on a condition that condition is not covered again, and your premiums will go up.

Better to sock away $40 a month and pay out of pocket.
These plans rarely work in the pet owners favour.

Juve

May 13, 2011
Not true. When making a claim the insurer will look at all existing medical records since birth, pre-existing conditions are not covered.

My dog was insured at 2 years old, and he had knee problems at 4 years old. The insurer didn't cover a $1800 surgery because they examined vet records and at a very early age the vet had noted looseness in his knees and possible arthritis.

Our research found that this is standard in all the major animal insurance plans.
Also, if you make a claim on a condition that condition is not covered again, and your premiums will go up.

Maybe it depends where you insure you dog.

Juve

May 13, 2011
These are pretty standard policies with the big name insurers. How many claims have you made and when did you insure your pet?

I got my husky insured at a around year old and he's now four. I only made one claim, although it was minor. It was for a blood test which cost around 100$. I only ended up paying 10$.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
I got my husky insured at a around year old and he's now four. I only made one claim, although it was minor. It was for a blood test which cost around 100$. I only ended up paying 10$.

Try making a major claim for a condition that exists on his medical record. You will be denied the claim guaranteed. That's why it is favourable to take out the policy when they are kittens/pups.

I guarantee 100 percent the OP cannot make an eye surgery claim for his pet. Ever.

Unfortunately the insurer will not tell you at the time you take out the policy, they will tell you when you try to make the claim.

Juve

May 13, 2011
Try making a major claim for a condition that exists on his medical record. You will be denied the claim guaranteed. That's why it is favourable to take out the policy when they are kittens/pups.

I guarantee 100 percent the OP cannot make an eye surgery claim for his pet. Ever.

Unfortunately the insurer will not tell you at the time you take out the policy, they will tell you when you try to make the claim.

I hope I never have to make a major claim.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012

40 a month is not cheap...

That is $500 a year so by age 4 that's already costing you $2000 and the insurer wont even cover a surgery on half potential problems? hardly seems worth it.

rickthegoon

Feb 25, 2012
I have no idea on the prices compared to other places, but I have been to the St-Hyacinthe hospital affiliated with Université de Montreal vet faculty, and was blown away with the proffesionalism of these people.

I went there with a dog from the Mira fondation that had cataracts in both eyes.
Truly impressed with the medical staff.

http://www.medvet.umontreal.ca/chuv/animauxcompagnie.html

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad