Sportsnet: "Good chance" Tyson Jost gets traded

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Can Jost be sent down to the ahl without having to clear waivers?

If so the Sens would be interested

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Jost is easily an NHL player. I struggle to see a team where he'd be less than the #10-13 FWD.

His waiver status shouldn't be a consideration

Reactions: Skid

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
I haven't really watched him play, so I'm wondering if he's actually a bad skater as some are saying here.

I ask because it seems to be the default reason HF posters go to when a young player is not producing as expected.

Prior

Jan 18, 2020
Always liked Jost. As a UND alum, felt he left too early and would have benefited for another year or two.

Will be interesting if he can carve out a defined role elsewhere if the Avs decide to move him.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
Tyson Jost and Tyson Barrie are not the same player. Neither is Tyson Fury. All probably named after Mike Tyson.
Tyson Tchikeen had a nice business venture after his playing days

E64BDE4C-2D79-4D9E-B6B2-6F6F7DFD80E3.jpeg

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
If there's anything we can't criticize about his development is that he hasn't been given opportunities. He has been spoonfed NHL time for years. It took like 2.5 years for him to even get sent back to the AHL which he skipped at first.

His issue is with fit and the team style of all out skating everywhere, not lack of opportunity.

I agree with you that he's been in the lineup but he's rarely if ever really been given a consistent top-6 opportunity over a 5-6 game period. It's always been a shift here, a period there maybe 1 whole game and then he's shifted elsewhere in the lineup. His usage has been that of a 3rd/4th line player almost exclusively this season with the additions of Kadri, Burakovsky and Donskoi.

Like you said, it's not the best fit for the Avs but I could totally see him working out on a different team.

Reactions: AslanRH

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
In a slower, more deliberate system, Jost is going to be a great number 2C. Guy is great along the boards and isn't afraid to take the body to make a play. It just hasn't worked here.
Translation?: on a slow team, Josts lack of speed and skating skill is less noticeable to the point where he’d make a viable 2C

Reactions: Weast

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Rangers fans will love him if he's moved, he has the makings of being a smaller Sean Couturier 2.0. Has all the tools of being an elite shutdown centre.

Super hard worker, smart player, good shot when he gets it off. His skating has held him back from finding a place on this Avs team.

If he were moved to a team that doesn’t rely on speed and skating as much as the Avs, he could carve out a middle-6 role. He’s still so young.

Will be a good fit for someone. Really speedy, great shutdown centre. Just hasn't had enough opportunity in Colorado.

Jost is a guy I could see breaking out in a big way over the next few years. He just plays the game the right way and works his ASS off. I just can't imagine some team not looking back on moving for him and being thankful. Kid is an A+ human being as well. Just probably wont get the opportunity he will need with how deep that Col team has gotten

He needs a change of scenery. I wouldn't be surprised to see him carve out a decent career somewhere else.

He won't cost much in a trade, I suspect. Might be the roster player in the standard pick+roster player+prospect formula if Avs look for an upgrade.

Incredible how much better a player becomes in the eyes of a fanbase when they're about to be traded (unless you're Gustafsson).

Never seen praise like this for Jost in the trade board the past few years.

Reactions: Joe Sakic

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Incredible how much better a player becomes in the eyes of a fanbase when they're about to be traded (unless you're Gustafsson).

Never seen praise like this for Jost in the trade board the past few years.

I think you can find a post of me praising Jost a few months ago if you search for it. The truth is that he has become the whipping boy for Avs fans and especially hfAvs . A mix of overtly high expectations not getting fulfilled and always needing a few scapegoats around even if things are going great has lead to that. Zads is another example of that.

Jost simply shouldn't have been in the NHL 2 years ago. He was brought in to satisfy the fanbase after a very disappointing stretch where we missed the playoffs 3 seasons in a row and he clearly wasn't ready at all. Got injured a couple of times early because his body wasn't ready at all and since then has never taken off. There were some glimpses but ultimately he got surpassed by other people while many still were seeing him as that top10 pick destined to fill in for Duchene as our #2C and he couldn't live up to that label at all unfortunately. That lead to a ton of hatred towards him.

He isn't even bad. He rarely does anything that really hurts the team. Just a non-factor most of the time. You can still see why he was drafted high and I personally would want to give him another offseason of strength and skating training before I would be ready to give up on him. It probably won't happen with the Avs but the dude is awesome and a very hard worker and possesses most tools that you need to be successful on the NHL level. He is just in a very bad situation in Colorado right now where he is not living up to the unreasonable expectations put on him and also on a team that simply also does not fit his strength. He isn't fast enough or physical enough (yet) to play his type of game for a team playing like the Avs.
Certainly a very good change of scenery candidate. I will be rooting hard for him to succeed once he gets moved.
I just wonder who will be next in line for hfAvs if he (and Z) is gone. Compher maybe I guess...

Last edited:

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Tyson Jost fits Bergevin's motto to a T.

Reclamation project.

Then again, you can't get him for Cousins, Weal, Thompson, or anything minor like that, so Montreal isn't getting him.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
Something like Jost and a 3rd for JGP would make sense.

Let's not forget that he's only 21. He was drafted 10th overall in 2016 and did very well in his D+1 year. The upside is there...it just won't be with the Avs.

Make the pick a conditional one, if Pageau resigns it's a 2nd or 1st. Not exactly sure how good Jost is so idk which pick I'd want back on the condition

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad