OT: Golf 2.0

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I went out and looked at new clubs today. Not in a huge hurry, not sure when a sale might start. Looking at getting a full set of senior graphite. I hit some balls today with steel and graphite shafts and I really liked the feel of graphite......after using steel my whole life. Last set I bought was about 25 years ago and I use them still but they are steel. Nearing retirement so might be time to switch to graphite I think. Likely will be my last set I ever buy.

Just an fyi...

I had a fitting 2 years ago...

I assumed graphite or some composite variant would be the ticket...

The best shaft was a steel/composite shaft a lot of tour pros use...

Problem... they were over $300 a shaft for each club...

The 2nd best and close in feel, distance and ease to swing...

A Japanese made lightweight steel shaft... much cheaper...

Nippon Shaft model 950GH Neo... Nippon Shaft | Realizing Pro Golfers' Tour Dreams

They have graphite/composite as well as a Hybrid LW steel/graphite if you want to break the bank...

Happy hunting...

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
I went out and looked at new clubs today. Not in a huge hurry, not sure when a sale might start. Looking at getting a full set of senior graphite. I hit some balls today with steel and graphite shafts and I really liked the feel of graphite......after using steel my whole life. Last set I bought was about 25 years ago and I use them still but they are steel. Nearing retirement so might be time to switch to graphite I think. Likely will be my last set I ever buy.
Interesting side story maybe of minor benefit to you.

I bought clubs in 2017 for myself. My last set prior I purchased in 1999. Both sets are steel shaft, both sets are stiff flex.

I was having a bit of an inconsistent year last year, really very much overthinking my game quite a lot. I was doing a lot of dumb things that really aren't productive in golf - one of which was slowing down my swing to try and take clubs shorter distances than what I normally hit. Taking it a bit easier with swings than I would have, say 10 or 20 years earlier. Was thinking jeez, maybe the stiff shafts were something of a mistake and maybe I should move to graphite as I'm getting close to retirement as well.

Was golfing last summer with a guy who made an odd comment, something along the lines of: "you're way more athletic than your swing is currently indicating; maybe you should just hit the ball like you can and let the loft determine the distance". Guy seems to be pretty knowledgeable about golf and so the rest of the season I did just that. Game improved fairly substantially. As it turns out the only thing that had diminished in regards to my swing speed was inside my head.

I'm sort of the same point this season, not swinging quite right just yet. But I'll attribute that to exactly zero practice time and only two rounds. When I swing like I can, the ball does nice things.

I'm not much of a golfer but this seems like a scenario where you should get some swing analysis done to see what the suggestion is for your swing speed. Obviously what feels good goes a long way into making you happy. I'm just suggesting that maybe you won't breakdown quite so quickly physically.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Just an fyi...

I had a fitting 2 years ago...

I assumed graphite or some composite variant would be the ticket...

The best shaft was a steel/composite shaft a lot of tour pros use...

Problem... they were over $300 a shaft for each club...

The 2nd best and close in feel, distance and ease to swing...

A Japanese made lightweight steel shaft... much cheaper...

Nippon Shaft model 950GH Neo... Nippon Shaft | Realizing Pro Golfers' Tour Dreams

They have graphite/composite as well as a Hybrid LW steel/graphite if you want to break the bank...

Happy hunting...
Interesting side story maybe of minor benefit to you.

I bought clubs in 2017 for myself. My last set prior I purchased in 1999. Both sets are steel shaft, both sets are stiff flex.

I was having a bit of an inconsistent year last year, really very much overthinking my game quite a lot. I was doing a lot of dumb things that really aren't productive in golf - one of which was slowing down my swing to try and take clubs shorter distances than what I normally hit. Taking it a bit easier with swings than I would have, say 10 or 20 years earlier. Was thinking jeez, maybe the stiff shafts were something of a mistake and maybe I should move to graphite as I'm getting close to retirement as well.

Was golfing last summer with a guy who made an odd comment, something along the lines of: "you're way more athletic than your swing is currently indicating; maybe you should just hit the ball like you can and let the loft determine the distance". Guy seems to be pretty knowledgeable about golf and so the rest of the season I did just that. Game improved fairly substantially. As it turns out the only thing that had diminished in regards to my swing speed was inside my head.

I'm sort of the same point this season, not swinging quite right just yet. But I'll attribute that to exactly zero practice time and only two rounds. When I swing like I can, the ball does nice things.

I'm not much of a golfer but this seems like a scenario where you should get some swing analysis done to see what the suggestion is for your swing speed. Obviously what feels good goes a long way into making you happy. I'm just suggesting that maybe you won't breakdown quite so quickly physically.

Thanks guys for the feedback.

Update:

Through the weekend I went to two golf shops, hit a bunch of balls in their test ranges, the experts gave me feedback on the data on my swings. Results were while I might not be a strong as I used to be (25 years ago when I bought my last clubs, steel shaft) I'm still plenty strong enough according to them that I 100% should stick to steel shafts for many more years.

So I ordered myself some Callaway full irons set (5-PW, SW, PW), driver and a hybrid (I'm not a fairway wood type of guy). I'm going to keep my current putter bc I like it and I can always buy additional add on clubs for my set as desired. My clubs arrive in 2-3 days directly from Callaway (currently they have a Fathers Day sale on, so Happy Fathers Day to myself). Excited to get out there and hit balls. This will be the best clubs I ever owned by a wide margin, I see them as a long term investment in my entertainment and retirement in 5+ years.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Thanks guys for the feedback.

Update:

Through the weekend I went to two golf shops, hit a bunch of balls in their test ranges, the experts gave me feedback on the data on my swings. Results were while I might not be a strong as I used to be (25 years ago when I bought my last clubs, steel shaft) I'm still plenty strong enough according to them that I 100% should stick to steel shafts for many more years.

So I ordered myself some Callaway full irons set (5-PW, SW, PW), driver and a hybrid (I'm not a fairway wood type of guy). I'm going to keep my current putter bc I like it and I can always buy additional add on clubs for my set as desired. My clubs arrive in 2-3 days directly from Callaway (currently they have a Fathers Day sale on, so Happy Fathers Day to myself). Excited to get out there and hit balls. This will be the best clubs I ever owned by a wide margin, I see them as a long term investment in my entertainment and retirement in 5+ years.
Pretty much exactly what i did 3 years ago but with Titleist clubs, celebration of the mortgage being paid off . Had my pro at my club fit me and it was the first time ever doing that. I will say that 3 years ago i was between a 16 to 17 handicap and today i am currently sitting at a 12 so i definitely think it helped, or i have gotten very lucky.:laugh: Anyway good for you and i hope they help your game too like i think they did me.:thumbu:

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Still haven’t gotten in my first hole/holes of the year. Looking like mid June at the earliest.
I've gotten alot of games in but honestly we have only had 2 beauty days since we opened. Its either been cold, really windy or raining or all of the above at the same time. The course has been wet all year, the Sceine was empty when we started the year and now its over it's banks. Been playing alot of lift , clean and cheat this year. :laugh:

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
I've gotten alot of games in but honestly we have only had 2 beauty days since we opened. Its either been cold, really windy or raining or all of the above at the same time. The course has been wet all year, the Sceine was empty when we started the year and now its over it's banks. Been playing alot of lift , clean and cheat this year. :laugh:
I like soft ground not spongy and saturated.
Having said that I suck regardless of the ground

• Haha
Reactions: Jets 31

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Another beautiful fall day this morning, cold , windy and for 2 holes rain . I can't believe how bad our weather has been so far this year. :mad:

Reactions: John Agar

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Got to the range for 35 minutes yesterday. Felt good about the session, was hoping to bang out another half hour today but the schedule looks tight.

So far zero holes golfed but I have now hit the range 3 times.

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
And the mossies are out now. Not full force but in the shade they are quite voracious. Had a lousy round yesterday and spent more time than usual 'beyond the rough' and yeah, not enjoyable.
Yup today was the worst so far for the gators , bug spray being brought for tomorrow morning.

Got to the range for 35 minutes yesterday. Felt good about the session, was hoping to bang out another half hour today but the schedule looks tight.

So far zero holes golfed but I have now hit the range 3 times.
Today was game 42 so far this season. :laugh:

Reactions: ps241 and John Agar

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I have only played Men's League at our club this year...

My business is booming... lot's on the go...

Weather has constricted time to do house chores... I couldn't open our pool until June 6th... the latest ever... this has been the clincher to limited games this year so far...

Also "The Band" is travelling everywhere but to the golf course together... I need their help getting to the course... and we all need the rain to enter a more "normal" weather pattern as June progresses...

As for this week in league play 6 pars in nine holes... three putted 3 times... hit the ball much better... this week... could not move my body last week shot a 54... this week with the 3 three putts... 39...

The disparity is also due to the inclusion of new foot pressure on setup and transition and missing a detail in order to clear hips consistently and more easily... a work in progress... golf humility will continue until a new level of expectation is attained...

Happy but still pissed with My putting...

Golf is hard...

Love it... some days hate it....

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Yup today was the worst so far for the gators , bug spray being brought for tomorrow morning.

Today was game 42 so far this season. :laugh:

How is that possible? There have been three or four days with weather good enough for me to commit to 9 holes 😂

• Haha
Reactions: Jets 31

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
How is that possible? There have been three or four days with weather good enough for me to commit to 9 holes 😂
Ya you aren't wrong, i have it at 7 really nice days out of the 42 games so far but I'm a cheap bastard and i want my money's worth.:laugh: Also working nights allows me to play alot , don't think i would be a member anywhere if i worked days.

Reactions: ps241

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Ya you aren't wrong, i have it at 7 really nice days out of the 42 games so far but I'm a cheap bastard and i want my money's worth.:laugh: Also working nights allows me to play alot , don't think i would be a member anywhere if i worked days.
Yeah, not a member, work days. When I retire (which seems to be approaching with increasing rapidity) I'm trading my season tickets with the Jets for a golf membership.

Hoping the back half of the season is better than the front half by a considerable margin.

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Yeah, not a member, work days. When I retire (which seems to be approaching with increasing rapidity) I'm trading my season tickets with the Jets for a golf membership.

Hoping the back half of the season is better than the front half by a considerable margin.
Ya both a golf membership and Jets season tickets are big money so it's one or the other for me too . I go to about 10 Jets games a year though. What a beautiful day today was , best so far this year easily but the mosquitos are loving it too now.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Ya both a golf membership and Jets season tickets are big money so it's one or the other for me too . I go to about 10 Jets games a year though. What a beautiful day today was , best so far this year easily but the mosquitos are loving it too now.

I got out and hit balls on the range with my son yesterday. Niakwa was fully booked up so we didn’t get a chance to golf 9 holes but we are booking ahead for next week. I am officially getting started with actual golf vs just the range starting Tuesday.

Better late than never.

Last edited:

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I got out and hit balls on the range with my son yesterday. Niakwa was fully booked up so we didn’t get a chance to gold 9 holes but we are booking ahead for next week. I am officially getting started with actual golf vs just the range starting Tuesday.

Better late than never.
Niakwa eh ? Someone has some money. :laugh: Good for you to be able to get out now, bring bug spray.:mad:

Reactions: GNP

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Just finished my first 9 of the season (at Niakwa) and it was a mixed bag. On the bright side the bain of my existence for the past decade has been hitting the fairway with my driver. I have been well under 20%. I got a lesson this year with the pro and he made an adjustment to my grip and it had surprisingly good results on the range. Turns out that actually transferred to the course today and I hit the fairway or short rough on every hole??? I mean WTF?

That being said I was really sloppy shaky with my short game which is usually my strength.

Oh well I had a 46 which is good for me and my first 9 of the season.

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
@ps241 take the hfboards boys out to Niakwa :laugh:

Love that course.

Weather has been the shits this season, game hasn't been great. Finally posted a good one last night in some nice weather. 69, was 4 under on the front 9. Still only won 2/3 points in our Men's League haha

Reactions: Romang67

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad