Golden Knights merchandise leads league

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
2011 thread here: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/nhl-merchandise-sales.1033593/

While not really hard numbers, when Jets returned to WPG, says they sold 100-150 jerseys per game in arena, which would be 6600 of them from that source alone. Near top of post, sort of describes how the merchandise sales work.

I recall a vendor in Reunion Arena tell me way back in 1994 or so that six stands (no dedicated store back then) sold $56K per game, or about 2.4M back then for a new team. With inflation, that would be $4.25M today, but a lot of other factors might change the actual number, like in house stores, the rise of Amazon, etc.

Also found that merchandise sales over the entire NHL were up 14.8% this year, but actual dollar figures are impossible to find.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
images

Don't underestimate passion for the Knights!
I am a Canadian living in East Asia and have been wearing the logo since Day 1 and support has only been growing and growing.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
This isn't surprising. I currently own a Rangers winter coat, 2 hoodies, 2 polos, about 8 t-shirts, a pair of sweatpants and several jerseys, 3 hats and a winter knit hat. My wife has 3 jerseys, a few t-shirts. My older daughter has a jersey and 2 t-shirts. My younger daughter has a jersey, 3 onesies, and 2 t-shirts. If I was a Vegas fan, I would have all this stuff, as well. However, I did not buy all the Rangers stuff this year.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA

Someone's agent is happy

I don't know what's going to take less time for me to get used to - seeing Elvis impersonators at NHL games that aren't Penguins fans or Fleury wearing that jersey :laugh:

Good on Vegas. This shouldn't be a surprise as everyone is starting from nothing with an expansion team, but there's little that hasn't happened involving that franchise that isn't impressive so I'll cede the point anyway.

Reactions: Killion

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
I don't remember talking to anyone who thought the building would be empty.

You don’t talk to the right people then.... ;)

They were many comments posted about the attendance and how wouldn’t be great.... they’ll all be from visiting teams...... it’ll never work... when the Raiders arrive they have empty.... etc... etc....

So far all but one of those has been blown out of the water. And the Raiders and Golden Knights already have shown they want to work together when the Raiders arrive in 18 months.

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
I was one of the first people to wear Golden Knights apparel.

Not because I thought they'd be good though, or I was trying to be cool.

Simply something I received as a gift for helping someone sell their house last Summer. Almost a gag gift if you will.

So I kind of wore it because it was comfortable.

But that's between us! :thumbu:

thumb.jpg

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Pretty funny reading some experts here saying ''yeah it isn`t a surprise'', etc haha

Sure Vegas fans had to by the jerseys to have merch. But the OP is from April, not from October. Other silly things in those ''expert'' posts I`m not even gonna point out.

You are doing amazing right now Vegas, weather I like to admit it or not (Ducks fan)

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
You don’t talk to the right people then.... ;)

They were many comments posted about the attendance and how wouldn’t be great.... they’ll all be from visiting teams...... it’ll never work... when the Raiders arrive they have empty.... etc... etc....

So far all but one of those has been blown out of the water. And the Raiders and Golden Knights already have shown they want to work together when the Raiders arrive in 18 months.
Well not that we expected it to be some secret hockey hot bed.

No disrespect, and I am glad they are doing well I hope it continues, but most people I talked about it felt tourism would fill in the empty seats.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
In addition to all this, Vegas is a HUGE tourist destination, Like, 40 million people+ visit per year, which can't be said about, say, Winnipeg . The arena, and thus the arena store, are situated right off the Strip. Other shops sell merch. People roll through, drink, and blow money like nowhere else on earth. They likely benefit from that, too. Hell, I was there for work in early March and I couldn't not visit the arena, and so now my girlfriend has a tanktop and hat. I'm probably not the only traveling hockey fan who has walked into the merch store with a beer in hand and dropped $60-70 bucks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad