Post-Game Talk: Going Postal

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
It's definitely frustrating losing to that team three times in a row, shootout or not.

But what's even more frustrating is the complete lack of disrespect for one of our top players on the GDT, and, to a lesser extent, the PGT. I understand feeling angry in the heat of the moment, but there is ABSOLUTELY NO EXCUSE for some of the disgusting, and, to be honest, borderline slanderous comments about one of our star players: "**** Draisaitl," "Draisaitl is a beer leaguer," "Draisaitl is garbage, trade him."

On NO other team in the NHL does the fanbase utter comments of this nature about one of their star players. NO OTHER TEAM DOES THIS TO ITS STARS. And yes, whether some of you choose to believe it or not, he is a star player. If one of you can cut-and-paste at least ONE post where the fanbase of another team calls one of their OWN top-tier players garbage, tells him to **** off, or calls him a beer-leaguer, I will stop these posts.

I understand that he makes some mistakes, but something like "Oh, Draisaitl, what a dumb play" will suffice. Not calling the guy every name in the book and trading him. If it was this bad for Taylor Hall, I bet he's glad he's gone and I sure as hell don't think he'll ever want to come back to this crap.

Personally, I think the mods need to do a better job of monitoring this trash and deleting these garbage comments, especially in the GDT. These comments contribute NOTHING positive whatsoever to this forum. Unless you want HF boards to get a reputation for being a cesspool that attracts the lowest breed of human scum, I think some pruning needs to be done.

I feel that a certain group of posters make it their sole agenda to spew negative comments about the player while refraining from ever saying anything positive whatsoever about the player.

@Porkleaker and @ohheyhemsky, I'm looking at you in particular. If either of you, or anyone else, can tell me what it is about Draisaitl that attracts so much venom from a certain segment of the fanbase, I will stop defending the player to this extent. I just find it simply alarming the treatment afforded to one of our star players on arguably an off-night. And last night was certainly no one-off. This pack-bashing seems to happen at least 50% of the time, which, for a guy supposedly considered a star player, seems bizarre.

Oh, and @Porkleaker, I hope that they do trade Draisaitl. I hope that they trade him so far away from this toxic fanbase and it comes back to bite us harder than any ******ed trade Chiarelli ever made.

I agree overall, though I think you go a bit far. As well, I definitely disagree about us being the only fan base that shits on its stars. I think we're probably the worst, but a lot of others do it too, especially on HF. I've seen Pens fans using the same descriptions for Malkin, and I think we've all seen Leafs fans speak about Gardiner (who I don't think is a star but man did he ever get hounded unfairly) and Kessel back in the day.

I will say I'm surprised to see you single out @ohheyhemsky though, as he's a veteran poster here and one who I think of as having level headed takes. Granted, I haven't been around nearly as much this year for my own sanity, but still, surprising. Especially since his username is a homage to one of the most frustrating Oiler skill players ever (and I loved Hemmer).

Last edited:

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Am I wrong in thinking if gio was gonna get a hearing it would have been announced by now?

Yeah it's not happening. Parros probably high fived him after the game and McDavid decided not to stir up any drama in the post game, unfortunately.

94 Oil Drops

McHy is the new McDrai.
Sep 19, 2019
Alberta
Calmer perspective to try and level out before bed:

I thought the team played very well in front of a shaky (but not totally awful tbh) Smith. Draisaitl's 'bad game' is getting overrated - he overpassed a bit and couldn't get a clean goal on breakaways, but the man shut down a number of chances and had even more clear scoring opportunities. Sometimes they don't get in - maybe something to the idea that Rittich is in his head.

Giordano is trash and I'm still mad that somehow wasn't even a ****ing penalty.

Tkachuk with the predictable BS turtle-dive 'fight' to try and clear his name, but the Nuge-Monahan bout was impressive.

Overall the team showed a lot of fight and a lot of good things. Also liked Tippett's tinkering with the 3v3 lines.

Yamamoto had a killer game overall. Our best player in OT, and that's insane given that we had both McDavid and Drai out there.
Watching Yamamoto knock over Gaudreau in overtime was a thing of beauty.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Giordano trying to knee McDavid was a dirty play by a dirty play. I have honestly come to expect that out of him the way people expected it from Marchment back in the day.

The worst and most cowardly play of the game was easily Monahan jumping the much smaller Nuge after cross checking him in the face...then for him to not even land a punch and get tagged by Nuge a couple times when Nuge is finally able to drop his gloves and stick must have been mighty embarrassing

barry halls

Nov 13, 2018
I’m impressed with how well they played coming off such a long break. The Oilers were the better team, Rittich was just out of his mind. Loved seen Nuge fight. Benning was channeling another #83 on his goal. Didn’t mind 97/29 being split up for OT because frankly they have been inexplicably awful in overtime all season long after being automatic in previous years.
I hated Rittich’s stick toss, that’s a low brow move. It feels like the flames are in all of our heads and it’s hard to imagine a win against them all year, hope I’m wrong though.

Reactions: Crude and Oilhawks

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
I agree overall, though I think you go a bit far. As well, I definitely disagree about us being the only fan base that ****s on its stars. I think we're probably the worst, but a lot of others do it too, especially on HF. I've seen Pens fans using the same descriptions for Malkin, and I think we've all seen Leafs fans speak about Gardiner (who I don't think is a star but man did he ever get hounded unfairly) and Kessel back in the day.

I will say I'm surprised to see you single out @ohheyhemsky though, as he's a veteran poster here and one who I think of as having level headed takes. Granted, I haven't been around nearly as much this year for my own sanity, but still, surprising. Especially since his username is a homage to one of the most frustrating Oiler skill players ever (and I loved Hemmer).

@ohheyhemsky was one of the two posters uttering these comments last night. I don't follow the particular poster closely, but he was constantly ragging on Draisaitl last night along with the other poster that I mentioned. Maybe he's a quality poster in other respects, but he definitely took part in the wolf pack last night.

Maybe I do go a bit far, but I just don't see a logical explanation for the amount of heat this player takes. Most of the posters on here seem like good people and, for the most part, relatively intelligent, but, as the cliche goes, the bad apples can spoil the bunch. And just like Draisaitl, the good posters can have bad moments as well. Me included.

Reactions: Aerrol

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Yes, great game and I think the Oilers were the better team on the night despite the relatively long layoff. A couple of goal posts in the shoot-out were the difference in a very entertaining hockey game. Shades of 1985. A couple of good scraps too-but fair fights.

The bad news remains -- the inconsistent goaltending and the glaring defensive mistakes.

On another note, I doubt that Bouchard will get called up for the remainder of the year but at this point I can't see why he wouldn't start ahead of Russell. Bouchard has superior offensive skills and although he would make rookie mistakes they couldn't be much worse than what we currently see in Russell's game, which to my mind has taken a real step down in the last 4 months.

Maybe we make the playoffs but with the goalie(s) and D we have...……..

I still think our D is fine. A lot of them looking bad is due to lack of possession in the offensive zone.

Oil rise to the top

Jan 15, 2019
'berta
I dont know how some of you were so calm after the game. This was such an emotionally charged game with so much anticipation and drama going into it

This morning I woke up still angry how things went about. The Flames should never win in our house like this

Not to mention the knee on knee hit from Giordano to McDavid and that stupid stick flip that Rittich did at the end of the game

Reactions: Messrules11

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
No kudos for Tkachuk. He was forced into that fight by the media, fans and his teammates. That is not bravery that is peer pressure.
Doesn't matter what his motivation was. He stepped up. He is not a fighter per se, and going up against a guy with 35 NHL fights and similar in junior is worth giving credit for.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
Both Leon and Connor force way too many passes that just aren't there or is an extremely tight squeeze. And they've been failing on those passes more often than not in the past couple/few months. It's like they feel like they HAVE to make a pass to someone instead of realizing the best play sometimes is to just cycle the puck down low to an area and trust your mates will be there to battle for the puck. Connor made a bad pass to Bear in the third when the game was on the line. Bear did a great job with the grenade Connor tossed him and actually drew a penalty. But ya, Leon is also just as if not more boneheaded in forcing passes that just aren't there. So frustrating watching them on the pp forcing those passes that you, I and everyone knows theyre going to try and seems like 70% of the time the opposition knocks the puck away. Just get some pucks on net every now and then and hope for a rebound. It will loosen up the opposing defence a bit and the seam passes will open up a bit later on. Not rocket science.

Yep, I agree Connor is guilty of it too, I just don't see him blindly wing the puck into areas though.

Like Drai's turnover that ended up being literally a quarter of an inch from a goal....... as soon as I saw his position with the puck I thought, "No, don't, nope, no, no........... god damnit."... Like, that pass has to be a non-option from the time you're playing any real organized hockey, no idea what he's thinking with some of them. Or blindly backhanding it to the one D that's on the offensive blue line, even if it WORKS it's dangerous. Just baffling this year.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
I’m impressed with how well they played coming off such a long break. The Oilers were the better team, Rittich was just out of his mind. Loved seen Nuge fight. Benning was channeling another #83 on his goal. Didn’t mind 97/29 being split up for OT because frankly they have been inexplicably awful in overtime all season long after being automatic in previous years.
I hated Rittich’s stick toss, that’s a low brow move. It feels like the flames are in all of our heads and it’s hard to imagine a win against them all year, hope I’m wrong though.

giphy.gif

It’s the same organization that played “dude gets hit in nuts” footage as filler in preseason games. Rittich’s circus antics are par for the course and encouraged.

Reactions: barry halls

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Her husband is Brad Pascall, Flames AGM.

Thanks.

Sorry, but how on Earth would anybody follow these things enough to know something like that? heh.

I couldn't tell you one person that's in the Flames head office and most times barely know the name of their coach. Actually right now I don't. I'd have to google it.

I NEVER watch Flames telecasts or inflict that club on my brain in anyway. Its a good system that minimizes any undue headaches. I do the same for the Maple Leafs. I virtually try to pretend these clubs don't exist and really they're trivial anyway.

kevy999

Sep 12, 2016
They havent been getting good goaltending for much of the season.
If you compare their roster to the Oilers roster its better.

In any event I am not here to defend the Flames.
Yea seems like you are defending them lol you haven't watched much of their games then. They have been out shot and outplayed in many games and their goalie stole them the game. I disagree with you 100 percent , i think their roster is not much better than ours. People here afraid to play them in the playoffs lol lol they are easily beatable and just got lucky the last 2 games on us. If we get into the playoffs i would love to play them.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Yea seems like you are defending them lol you haven't watched much of their games then. They have been out shot and outplayed in many games and their goalie stole them the game. I disagree with you 100 percent , i think their roster is not much better than ours. People here afraid to play them in the playoffs lol lol they are easily beatable and just got lucky the last 2 games on us. If we get into the playoffs i would love to play them.

Hey..we are all entitled to our opinions. :nod:
I think the @bone post was quite reasonable.

The Oilers have to get better.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site

Yeah, they’ve demonstrated in the past that though they can play in a game like yesterday and win, eventually in a series they can’t keep up the physicality. Lucic helps with that, but his current skill level puts him too far down the lineup to likely change that this season.

Picture how Kassian tormented a tougher team than Calgary in the Sam Jose series. Calgary would eventually wilt.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I dont know how some of you were so calm after the game. This was such an emotionally charged game with so much anticipation and drama going into it

This morning I woke up still angry how things went about. The Flames should never win in our house like this

Not to mention the knee on knee hit from Giordano to McDavid and that stupid stick flip that Rittich did at the end of the game

Concur with this because the Flames spent a whole week trashtalking the Oilers after the last W. I mean REALLY talking trash. Calling us names, calling out the Chiefs..(whoops, thats another movie) and so this game, to me, was a must W for the Oilers and their fans. It really felt that way. Get some back. When a team taunts you like that, then comes into your rink and still beats you AGAIN. To me thats so bad.

I can't gargle the taste out of my mouth. Imagine what it felt like for the players. I worry how much the Flames are in the Oilers heads now. At no point were the Oilers calm or composed. They said all the right things but still approached this game with some loathing, and the Flames were able to add to it. Usually that kind of thing only steamrolls worse. The Oilers approach these games angry, the Flames approach them loose. Guess which approach ends up being more in control?

I mean credit to Nuge and everything but when you see Nuge melting down there and fighting you know this has really got out of hand in the Oilers room. Its the part we don't see, but its there. Kass can say 100 times it doesn't matter, I don't believe it. Every time the Oilers go to the bench screaming about stuff the Flames nod their heads and know they're winning. Of course the Flames have the officials in back pocket and thats not changing.

kevy999

Sep 12, 2016
It's definitely frustrating losing to that team three times in a row, shootout or not.

But what's even more frustrating is the complete lack of disrespect for one of our top players on the GDT, and, to a lesser extent, the PGT. I understand feeling angry in the heat of the moment, but there is ABSOLUTELY NO EXCUSE for some of the disgusting, and, to be honest, borderline slanderous comments about one of our star players: "**** Draisaitl," "Draisaitl is a beer leaguer," "Draisaitl is garbage, trade him."

On NO other team in the NHL does the fanbase utter comments of this nature about one of their star players. NO OTHER TEAM DOES THIS TO ITS STARS. And yes, whether some of you choose to believe it or not, he is a star player. If one of you can cut-and-paste at least ONE post where the fanbase of another team calls one of their OWN top-tier players garbage, tells him to **** off, or calls him a beer-leaguer, I will stop these posts.

I understand that he makes some mistakes, but something like "Oh, Draisaitl, what a dumb play" will suffice. Not calling the guy every name in the book and trading him. If it was this bad for Taylor Hall, I bet he's glad he's gone and I sure as hell don't think he'll ever want to come back to this crap.

Personally, I think the mods need to do a better job of monitoring this trash and deleting these garbage comments, especially in the GDT. These comments contribute NOTHING positive whatsoever to this forum. Unless you want HF boards to get a reputation for being a cesspool that attracts the lowest breed of human scum, I think some pruning needs to be done.

I feel that a certain group of posters make it their sole agenda to spew negative comments about the player while refraining from ever saying anything positive whatsoever about the player.

@Porkleaker and @ohheyhemsky, I'm looking at you in particular. If either of you, or anyone else, can tell me what it is about Draisaitl that attracts so much venom from a certain segment of the fanbase, I will stop defending the player to this extent. I just find it simply alarming the treatment afforded to one of our star players on arguably an off-night. And last night was certainly no one-off. This pack-bashing seems to happen at least 50% of the time, which, for a guy supposedly considered a star player, seems bizarre.

Oh, and @Porkleaker, I hope that they do trade Draisaitl. I hope that they trade him so far away from this toxic fanbase and it comes back to bite us harder than any ******ed trade Chiarelli ever made.
The moderator was too busy banning me last month for my innocent opinions lol I have never called Drai or Mcdavid garbage players. they are 2 of the top 5 players in the nhl. I only bash their effort or desire in some games but they played okay this game and drai made a couple mistakes. Anyone who says Drai is a beer is a beer league player does not warrant attention. They are clearly under the age of 15 or not a fan and just trolling. Drai is an elite player in the league

Reactions: Duke74

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad