Goalie situation

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Scenario: Murray outplays both Woll and Stolarz in preseason, then what do you do? He is 100% getting claimed on waivers in that scenario.

Then good for him to get claimed and get an opportunity to play in the NHL. He's not a realistic option to keep unless Woll or Stolarz get injured early. This is why we have Hildeby, AA and even Peksa. The Leafs could probably find another veteran as a stop gap if Murray finds a shot somewhere.

Reactions: banks

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
Scenario: Murray outplays both Woll and Stolarz in preseason, then what do you do? He is 100% getting claimed on waivers in that scenario.
I highly doubt a "strong preseason" sees him claimed. We only play 6 games, whats he going to get, 4 or 5 periods, maybe less?

No one is claiming him based on that. Murray needs an extended run of good health abd consistent playing time. He's only getting that in the minors.

If he plays 25+ games with the Marlies at a high level and is injury free and then we call him up, plays a few NHL games and looks good, then there's no way he clears to go back down. But we can deal with that if (Big If) and when that happens.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I don't think a strong preseason changes Murray's luck in that regard as much as a team being impacted by injury at the goalie position does. To be evaluated if/when such a situation comes to be.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
My guess is

Woll and Stolarz are your guys

Murray is likely waived and kept around the main team as a glorified EBUG and may get a chance at NHL games if injuries occur but if he sucks...

Hildeby is next up

Ahkymatov is also going to get time in the AHL

Peksa...I don't have a lot of faith in Peksa.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
The question being, if Murray is waived, is he claimed?

If I have the space and my goaltending is not strong, I'm taking him.

Murray is a wildcard... if he is truly healthy he may be our best goalie.

Woll is the future and we should focus on him, but I don't think there is enough upside in Stolarz to be attached if Murray is healed and is playing well.

Reactions: Budz

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
If I have the space and my goaltending is not strong, I'm taking him.

Murray is a wildcard... if he is truly healthy he may be our best goalie.

Woll is the future and we should focus on him, but I don't think there is enough upside in Stolarz to be attached if Murray is healed and is playing well.

Appreciating that Stolarz lead the league last year in Save Percentage, adjusted goals againt and Goals against average. That does seem to indicate pretty decent upside.

He even posted a positive goal saved expected while with the tire fire Ducks. He has great size (6'6"), athleticism, poise in the crease, and technical ability.

To me, this is a fascinating situation the Leafs net. Murray has never posted numbers as strong as Stolarz did last year.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Appreciating that Stolarz lead the league last year in Save Percentage, adjusted goals againt and Goals against average. That does seem to indicate pretty decent upside.

He even posted a positive goal saved expected while with the tire fire Ducks. He has great size (6'6"), athleticism, poise in the crease, and technical ability.

To me, this is a fascinating situation the Leafs net. Murray has never posted numbers as strong as Stolarz did last year.

He's 30 or 31 and has started a whopping 24 games in his most active season.

I am hesitant about crowning him the new king of Toronto.

No playoff experience, and has never been "the guy".

Reactions: banks

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
He's 30 or 31 and has started a whopping 24 games in his most active season.

I am hesitant about crowning him the new king of Toronto.

No playoff experience, and has never been "the guy".

I don't think anybody is crowning him the king... I think we hope he repeats his last season, in about the same number of games.

I said this in another thread earlier.

If we can get 40 ish games out of Woll, at the quality when he's been healthy, 25-30 games out of Stolarz, which is close to what he played last year, at the quality he was... and the rest of 12-17 games out of Murray/Hildeby, I think we will be in fine shape goaltending wise.

Reactions: banks and SprDaVE

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
I think people should be building rosters with us having a third goalie in the NHL. Otherwise, I think it is very possible that we lose Murray on waivers.

We were worried we would lose Jones last year and may have if not for that clever contract work that we did with the day one bonus. We were worried we would lose Aaron Dell at the end of camp and we did.

The veteran 3G is a tricky one because they become lost attractive to teams that have a goaltending gap coming out of camp.

I do not want to rush Hildeby or Akhtyamov and I don't want to lose Murray for nothing if he is healthy. I would much rather put Reaves and/or Timmins on waivers.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I don't think anybody is crowning him the king... I think we hope he repeats his last season, in about the same number of games.

I said this in another thread earlier.

If we can get 40 ish games out of Woll, at the quality when he's been healthy, 25-30 games out of Stolarz, which is close to what he played last year, at the quality he was... and the rest of 12-17 games out of Murray/Hildeby, I think we will be in fine shape goaltending wise.

It'd be awesome if we could split it between two goalies... I don't like the idea of planning on injuries and small workloads because they need it.

We need a starter who takes the majority of the games and a solid backup.

No goalie besides Murray has been a starter over a season.

So far Woll and Stolarz using their career years have started 47 games totals.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012

Did he just play weak teams ?

Still it’s a lot to appreciate.

Ekblad for Marner straight up and we’ll be a worthy team

• Haha
Reactions: HockeyVirus

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Ekblad for Marner straight up and we’ll be a worthy team

Wrong thread to go over this much, but that would be a terrible trade. Ekblad had second pairing minutes last year, and has been injured a great deal that past few years. He's not as good as his brand name is thought of, and isn't as good as he once was. His footspeed has dropped, which has negatively affected his defensive capability... and he's gone from 57 points a couple of years ago, to 18 points last year. He's in serious decline already.

Reactions: Dog

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
It'd be awesome if we could split it between two goalies... I don't like the idea of planning on injuries and small workloads because they need it.

We need a starter who takes the majority of the games and a solid backup.

No goalie besides Murray has been a starter over a season.

So far Woll and Stolarz using their career years have started 47 games totals.

I like the "gamble" that Woll and Stolarz will give us 70+ games next year. Woll has injuries, but they are different ones and it is not as if he has something recurring. Stolarz was blocked by Bobrovsky and Gibson and not necessarily health related low workload.

I also like the gamble on Murray and don't want to lose him for nothing as I like the idea of what 82 games of Woll, Stolarz and Murray can give us with at least two of them healthy come playoffs.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
So while obviously Woll is in longer term plans, the front office is going.to lean in on the guy who helps the team win the most. If it's Murray, it's Murray and they'll adapt

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad