Speculation: Goalie situation

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

How should we go ?

• Husso as a starter (2/3 games), Lyon as a backup (1/3 games)

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Husso as 1a, Lyon as 1b

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Husso & Lyon 50/50

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Lyon as 1a, Husso as Husso 1b

Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Lyon as a clear starter (2/3), Husso as a backup (1/3)

Votes: 59 74.7%
  • Some Reimer option...

Votes: 2 2.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
It's quite easy to pick those "easy" games from the schedule on back-to-backs, which will go to Husso.

@ EDM = Lyon
@ VAN = Lyon
@ CGY = Husso (back-to-back)
@ SEA = Lyon

4-day break

vs. COL = Lyon
vs. STL = Husso/Lyon (1st of the back-to-back)
@ CHI = Lyon/Husso
vs. WSH = Lyon
vs. NYI = Husso (evening FRI game)
vs. FLO = Lyon (day SUN game)

5-day break

@ COL = Lyon
@ ARI = Husso (1st one of back-to-back)
@ VGK = Lyon
@ BUF = Lyon
vs. ARI = Lyon
vs. BUF = Husso (1st one of back-to-back)
@ PIT = Lyon

etc.

Husso would get 5/18 ~25-30% of starts, Lyon 13/18 ~70-75%

Reactions: RRhoads

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
It's quite easy to pick those "easy" games from the schedule on back-to-backs, which will go to Husso.

@ EDM = Lyon
@ VAN = Lyon
@ CGY = Husso (back-to-back)
@ SEA = Lyon

4-day break

vs. COL = Lyon
vs. STL = Husso/Lyon (1st of the back-to-back)
@ CHI = Lyon/Husso
vs. WSH = Lyon
vs. NYI = Husso (evening FRI game)
vs. FLO = Lyon (day SUN game)

5-day break

@ COL = Lyon
@ ARI = Husso (1st one of back-to-back)
@ VGK = Lyon
@ BUF = Lyon
vs. ARI = Lyon
vs. BUF = Husso (1st one of back-to-back)
@ PIT = Lyon

etc.

Husso would get 5/18 ~25-30% of starts, Lyon 13/18 ~70-75%
Yeah, agreed. It's probably how it will be, unless something unforeseen happens, Lyon goes cold, or Husso goes hot. .

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Hope that Husso isn't out long-term, I'm not really excited about having Reimer, as a back-up, in net on this roadtrip.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Do goalies skate harder in the NHL? Or is it the hard checks that wear them out?
It's a higher level of play. Does it take more effort on a treadmill at level 2 or level 5. Wings are also a building team likely to face more high quality scoring chances.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
It's a higher level of play. Does it take more effort on a treadmill at level 2 or level 5. Wings are also a building team likely to face more high quality scoring chances.
Multiple goalies have stated that it's easier to play in the NHL than AHL. More structure. More predictable. Travel wear and tear is much lower.

Reactions: Retire91 and jaster

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

I'd agree if we were talking about the skaters. If anything playing for a team with shitty defense gives the goalie more work than the level they play at. Physically, playing goalie for the Bruins is probably easier than playing for GR. Mentally, there would be a lot more pressure obviously. Those fans are dicks, lol.

Reactions: Retire91

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
I like to think that every time Reimer pitches a shutout he is blindfolded and just randomly moving around because he is actually terrified of pucks.

Reimer prepping for the game tonight:
giphy.gif

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Reimer's GAA is now below 3.00 at 2.98 and save% at 904. Who would ever that would happen but he has given up 2 goals in his last two starts.

Oh, I've actually liked Reimer better than Husso. I'm just mocking him because he ducks pucks like he's not wearing a mask. (I've actually played with a couple, though it's not allowed anymore for liability reasons)

For the team to get into the playoffs, Lyon needs to get his head back into the game. Not sure what happened over the break. You never know with goalies, maybe his dog died or something. Such a mental game.

Even at his best, Husso allowed at least one soft goal every game, his shutouts are against offensively inept teams like NYI (before Horvat). Montreal, and Nashville.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
sy lookin smart having 3 goalies thatss for5 sure

He would've looked smarter if he had found a solid starter that can handle the work load without getting injured or falling apart mentally.

Given teh situation though, I'm glad he picked up Lyon and Rainbow.

GreatGordie9

May 11, 2019
Victoria, BC
Oh, I've actually liked Reimer better than Husso. I'm just mocking him because he ducks pucks like he's not wearing a mask. (I've actually played with a couple, though it's not allowed anymore for liability reasons)

For the team to get into the playoffs, Lyon needs to get his head back into the game. Not sure what happened over the break. You never know with goalies, maybe his dog died or something. Such a mental game.

Even at his best, Husso allowed at least one soft goal every game, his shutouts are against offensively inept teams like NYI (before Horvat). Montreal, and Nashville.
Here is our updated goalie stats.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Reimer prepping for the game tonight:
giphy.gif
Or…

IMG_2482.jpeg

Some nights I just can’t imagine how the Wings pull off wins…Certainly our netminders are a big reason for our success this season…Being in goal for the Wings must feel like Kamikaze mission.

Last edited:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Hope that Husso isn't out long-term, I'm not really excited about having Reimer, as a back-up, in net on this roadtrip.

Imo, Reimer is just fine as long as team will play that risk-free defence. Every goalie will look better now after they simpliefied the system.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Was lazy to start a new thread.

But here we are, before season 2024-25, with zillion of goalies.

At last season:
54 NHL-games, Cam Talbot, 2.50 GAA, .913sv%
44 NHL-games, Alex Lyon, 3.04 GAA, .904sv%
19 NHL-games, Ville Husso, 3.55 GAA, .892sv%

Let's split 85 games (3 extra when goalie pulled) between those guys, with the same game share as last season:

39 games, Talbot
32 games, Lyon
14 games, Husso

Could that be the split for oncoming season?

Talbot is clearly the best bet, but aging, so cutting some games off from him will happen for sure. The level of Husso could be a total question mark, maybe he will play a bit more, and Lyon less than estimated. But I'm quite sure they ride with Talbot at first as the starter, or whatever 1a, 1b, 1c system this would be.

Reactions: PelagicJoe

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Some 3-year data from new and old goalies:

- Cam Talbot 139 games, 2.70 GAA, .909 sv% +0.11 GSAA (goals saved above average)
- Alex Lyon, 61 games, 3.00 GAA, .906 sv%, +0.07 GSAA
- Ville Husso, 115 games, 2.99 GAA, .904 sv%, -0.04 GSAA

- Jack Campbell, 90 games, 3.04 GAA, .901 sv%, -0.11 GSAA
- James Reimer, 116 games, 3.16 GAA, .901 sv%, -0.11 GSAA
- Alex Nedeljkovic, 112 games, 3.22 GAA, .900 sv%, -0.15 GSAA
- Petr Mrazek, 115 games, 3.30 GAA, .900 sv%, -0.17 GSAA
- Tomas Greiss, 52 games, 3.65 GAA, . 892 sv%, -0.42 GSAA

Clearly Talbot is the best on bigger sample size. Also that data comes from 3 different teams (MIN/OTT/LAK).

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
At this point I think its likely a Talbot/Lyon split primarily. I like Lyon but he probably doesn't have the stamina to be a true starter at this point, and we saw that last season. So maybe something like a 45 (Talbot)- 35 (Lyon) split. Talbots older so play less will keep him a bit fresher and hopefully healthier. Spreading out 35 games for Lyon will hopefully not wear him out like what happened at the end of last season.

Husso I've written off until proven otherwise. I think they'll try to get him some games but he hasn't looked good since the 1st half of his 1st season with the Wings. I think there is a good chance it is injury related, but with goalies, when its an extended injury like this, it usually ends up being a nagging injury for the rest of their careers and we never see them return to form.

Reactions: Henkka

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Is the Jack Campbell contract 1-way? I don't recall and can't find it with a quick search.

I'm curious how that affects his ability to be called up and down, given this weird 2B goalie logjam we have going right now.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Is the Jack Campbell contract 1-way? I don't recall and can't find it with a quick search.

I'm curious how that affects his ability to be called up and down, given this weird 2B goalie logjam we have going right now.

As far as I know, one-way just means he's paid the same whether he's in the NHL or not. A two-way would pay him a different salary when he's not in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad