Goalie of the future?

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
With Enroth gone, Neuvirth possibly on the trading block, and Lindback not a serious answer, the Sabres' situation in net seems very up in the air. Just wondering who people feel at this point likely to be our future #1 when we return to contention.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
It's about the same as it was at the beginning of the year considering Enroth and/or Neuvirth were never the long-term solution to begin with.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I picked the "not on the team" option simply because the numbers say it's most likely. I still believe Ullmark has a good shot. Petersen's also really coming on.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I really hope Murray as a good plan around the corner, because picking up Lindback is completely useless. If he uses the 3rd to move up and draft the best goalie in June it might make sense, but even then that player won't be an established starter for at least 4-5 seasons.

Ullmark might be the guy, but I'd bet it will have to be somebody not on the radar yet.

Tapu Coco

Jan 23, 2013
WNY
I really hope Murray as a good plan around the corner, because picking up Lindback is completely useless. If he uses the 3rd to move up and draft the best goalie in June it might make sense, but even then that player won't be an established starter for at least 4-5 seasons.

Ullmark might be the guy, but I'd bet it will have to be somebody not on the radar yet.

I highly, highly doubt Murray picked up Lindback with the intention of him being our goalie of the future

Tapu Coco

Jan 23, 2013
WNY
I know that, I just don't see the point in adding him to the organization at all.

tank-05.jpg

+we probably had to take a goalie back in the deal

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
I know that, I just don't see the point in adding him to the organization at all. As it stands, he got rid of a capable back-up for AHL fodder.

Dallas had to trade him back to avoid having 3 goalies. It's not like having him as our backup really changes anything, unless Murray wanted to get Hackett some more NHL games to assess. him.

I'm still interested to see if TM trades Neuvy before the deadline. I think it's possible. The main board will melt down.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
No, the tank does not justify the trade for anyone other than fans grinning at the thought of draft lottery day. Murray is trying to make the team better regardless of draft position. This deal only makes sense if he couldn't get anything better, and has other plans to make the goalie position better.

Edit - Murray could have made a trade with a team that didn't have to give back a minor league goalie with zero upside, and maybe gotten an un-conditional 2nd. Maybe he couldn't though...either way Lindback has no use.

ZeroPT*

No, the tank does not justify the trade for anyone other than fans grinning at the thought of draft lottery day. Murray is trying to make the team better regardless of draft position. This deal only makes sense if he couldn't get anything better, and has other plans to make the goalie position better.

Edit - Murray could have made a trade with a team that didn't have to give back a minor league goalie with zero upside, and maybe gotten an un-conditional 2nd. Maybe he couldn't though...either way Lindback has no use.

Are you seriously complaining about Lindback? I'll eat my dog if he get re-signed. He was just thrown in. It's like complaining about Kasdorf being brought in.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY

The return for Enroth has nothing to do with our goalie plans. Enroth was determined by Murray not to be our goalie of the future, so he went and got something for Enroth. What he got is irrelevant.

Obviously he couldn't have gotten something better or he'd... have gotten something better. If a team had a good back-up to give up they wouldn't be trading for Enroth. Lindback isn't even part of the return, he's just something Dallas had to include to make it work for them. Murray already tried getting a 2nd for Enroth from Minnesota, Minnesota said no and spent a 3rd on a Dubnyk who is more proven than Enroth and was having a better season (even moreso now).

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
The return for Enroth has nothing to do with our goalie plans. Enroth was determined by Murray not to be our goalie of the future, so he went and got something for Enroth. What he got is irrelevant.

Ugh, I never said that the return for Enroth necessarily has to be involved in future goalie plans. I'm just saying I hope there is a better goalie on the roster next season, because for now it's worse than it was two weeks ago. I suppose my basic statement is actually obvious and mundane. Enroth wanted to re-sign though, and keeping him (or trading for a better goalie) makes sense until there is ACTUALLY a better goalie on the roster.

I'd rather get better and then trim fat knowing what you have, than trim fat and not know that you're getting better yet.

yahhockey

Jan 23, 2013
I voted for a player not currently in the organization but Ullmark may still have a chance. Not that I'm well versed on Swedish hockey or MODO but my understanding is that they're fairly inept and he may look more promising on a better team. He has seemingly been outplayed by Adam Reideborn this season but maybe Adam is playing the weaker teams and Ullmark stuck playing against the good ones. We're still a couple of years away from needing a goalie so there's lots of time for everything to sort itself out.

Correct

Jan 30, 2015
Why is everyone so high on Ullmark compared to the rest of our goalie prospects? I'm curious I don't know that much about him.

Takeo

Jul 9, 2003
Visit site
I know that, I just don't see the point in adding him to the organization at all. As it stands, he got rid of a capable back-up for AHL fodder.

He traded a pending UFA for a conditional draft pick and added a backup goalie to fill out the roster for the remainder of a throwaway season. The point is rather clear.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Ullmark, Petersen, and UFA/trade are the 3 contenders for me. I think Ullmark's the real deal though. I'm excited to see him with Rochester next year.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Why is everyone so high on Ullmark compared to the rest of our goalie prospects? I'm curious I don't know that much about him.

He won Goalie of the Year last year in the Swedish Elite League as a 20 yr old .... Struggled a bit this year but he's on a really bad team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad