Goal scorers

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TheBig08

Sep 28, 2024
So I’m posting this thread to see yhall opinions on who the best goal scorer of all time is and who are yhall top 10 goal scorers in order are. If you have a reason or explanation behind your choices let me know or if you have stats you want to share, share them.

Me personally I think Alex ovechkin is the best goal scorer of all time and my top 10 in order are

1. Alex ovechkin
2. Mike bossy
3. Mario lemuiex
4. Pavel bure
5. Wayne Gretzky
6. Bobby hull
7. Brett hull
8. Maurice Richard
9. Gordie Howe
10. Auston Matthews

My reason for my choices are stats that I found but it’s a lot so I don’t feel like sharing and Matthew’s is in there because I feel like he will make the top 10 I just don’t know where so he’s #10.

Let me know yhall thoughts

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Greateast goal-scorers ever: (greatest is a mix between pure ability and actual accomlishments):

Tier 1:

1. Ovechkin
2. Gretzky
3. Lemieux
4. Bobby Hull

Tier 2:

5. Maurice Richard
6. Goride Howe

Tier 3:

7. Mike Bossy
8. Brett Hull
9. Phil Esposito
10. Auston Matthews
11. Pavel Bure

If we were ranking "best" instead, I'd have Lemieux #1. Bossy might go up too (if not for injuries/half a career, he'd rank highest on greatest too). Ovchkin is probably #2.

Regarding Auston Matthews - I'm not sure exactly how high he will reach. But he's off to a fantastic start. I used to think his ceiling was tier 3 - now I think he could reach tier 1. You can never predict decline - some players fall off a cliff unexpectedly, and some dont, so we'll see how his career shapes out.

Reactions: MadLuke

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.youtube.com
Lemieux is 1 for me because of the variety of ways that he was an elite finisher. Wrist shot, one timer, backhand, breakaways, penalty shots, mid-long range/in close, early adapter to low angle and bank shots 20+ years before it became popularized, etc.

Also because of his elite playmaking prowess, as a balanced attacker, goalies can't purely commit to his shot.

Reactions: sr edler

rmartin65

Apr 7, 2011
I’ll bite; what’s the argument for Bure over a lot of those names? Gretzky being the big one. Fun player for sure, but Bure isn’t one of my top ten.

Lemieux
Gretzky
Ovechkin
Bobby Hull
Maurice Richard
Russell Bowie
Gordie Howe
Brett Hull
Charlie Conacher
Phil Esposito

Reactions: jigglysquishy

DitchMarner

TheGlitchintheSwitch
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
I'm not sure I'd have Matthews above Stamkos or Selanne yet.

Top ten finishes in goals:

Matthews: 1, 1, 1, 2, 3

Selanne: 1, 1, 1, 2, 3, 10

Stamkos: 1, 1, 2, 2, 2, 4, 7, 9

Ovechkin is the most accomplished. Best is more subjective - I personally don't care at all about things like shot volume and diversity of goals when assessing goal scoring, but some do.

tabness

be a playa 🇵🇸
Apr 4, 2014
Of my awareness, Lemieux and Brett Hull the best, Gretzky and Ovechkin have more right to be called greatest given records and longevity and all that but at their bests, shift by shift, can't top Brett Hull and Mario

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Variance of how and when you score your goals is obviously absolutely crucial. I saw a stat from some season back where Auston Matthews had 6 hat-tricks in the RS, all of them on non-playoff teams.

Hate on Bure as a fun player all you guys want, but guy scored multiple hat-tricks on Patrick Roy and had streaks in the playoffs where he was an absolute beast. This is not something either Matthews or Stamkos has been even close to replicate.

For all the stereotypes of Brett Hull being just a big shot, guy actually had a sneaky ability to score in all kinds of different ways, whether Brian Holzinger was dancing by the play or not.

I agree with Mike up thread about Lemieux being the best all-time goal scorer, btw.

Last edited:

rmartin65

Apr 7, 2011
Variance of how and when you score your goals is obviously absolutely crucial. I saw a stat from some season back where Auston Matthews had 6 hat-tricks in the RS, all of them on non-playoff teams.

Hate on Bure as a fun player all you guys want, but guy scored multiple hat-tricks on Patrick Roy and had streaks in the playoffs where he was an absolute beast. This is not something either Matthews or Stamkos has been even close to replicate.
Is it hate to call a player "fun" or to say he isn't a top 10 goal-scorer? I like Bure a lot, he was fun to watch. I remember being a teenager and seeing on YouTube that skate to stick move he did on a breakaway and trying it in practice the next day (and having to skate laps for it). But I don't think he was a top 10 goal-scorer.

According to a sporcle quiz (so it could be wrong, haha), something like 39-40 players scored more goals on Roy. Are we adding Owen Nolan to this discussion? And according to the NHL website, Bure has the T-10th best playoff goal scoring run. Tied with Zach Hyman, behind Steve Payne. Obviously, Bure was better than those statistics show, but they aren't strong support, in my opinion.

TheBig08

Sep 28, 2024
I’ll bite; what’s the argument for Bure over a lot of those names? Gretzky being the big one. Fun player for sure, but Bure isn’t one of my top ten.

Lemieux
Gretzky
Ovechkin
Bobby Hull
Maurice Richard
Russell Bowie
Gordie Howe
Brett Hull
Charlie Conacher
Phil Esposito
If you look at bures stats if he stayed healthy and played longer he would have most likely passed Gretzky. He probably wouldnt pass ovi tho because he would have as much longevity most likely.

rmartin65

Apr 7, 2011
If you look at bures stats if he stayed healthy and played longer he would have most likely passed Gretzky. He probably wouldnt pass ovi tho because he would have as much longevity most likely.
What if Bobby Hull and Gordie Howe never played in the WHA?

What if Stamkos never got injured?

What if Richard and Conacher played 80 game seasons?

There is a lot of what-ifs we can do historically. I think it is unlikely that Bure would have maintained his pace for the 600+ more games he would have had to play to catch Gretzky (but not Ovechkin?).
I just want to know yhalls opinion on who the best goal scorer of all time is and and who are thanks top 10 of all time in order are.
I’ve given mine at the top.
I gave mine in the post you quoted above.

It's a fun (not hate!) topic. I just find the inclusion of Bure odd.

TheBig08

Sep 28, 2024
What if Bobby Hull and Gordie Howe never played in the WHA?

What if Stamkos never got injured?

What if Richard and Conacher played 80 game seasons?

There is a lot of what-ifs we can do historically. I think it is unlikely that Bure would have maintained his pace for the 600+ more games he would have had to play to catch Gretzky (but not Ovechkin?).

I gave mine in the post you quoted above.

It's a fun (not hate!) topic. I just find the inclusion of Bure odd.
If Bobby hull kept playing he probably would have get 800 something goals but would have not passed Gretzky. Howe he would have got more goals idk how many but the reason he’s only #9 is because he had to play so many games. And if stamkos never got injured he would have been on pace for 800 something goals but he probably wouldn’t have had as much longevity as ovi so he wouldn’t pass Gretzky. And Richard probably would have passed Gretzky it’s just for me the era he played in is such a long time ago but I put him in my top 10 so I give him credit for being top 10 all time. And I wasn’t trying to be mean or anything I just wanted explain my answer because know a lot of people will find that odd.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I'd say that Lemieux is the best, Ovechkin and Bobby Hull are in the conversation and possibly Richard too if I squint.

As this is about who is best at a skill and not just comparing resumes, I have no problem with Bure ranking pretty high on someone's list. I wouldn't put him at 4 but he's among the best ever at this particular thing.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Bure and Roy played in different conferences for most of their careers, so of course other players would compile more goals over the years, like say an Andreychuk or whoever.

Hyman wouldn't have scored as many goals if he was the #1 guy on his line instead of merely being an extended arm to McDavid. His season last season was almost identical to 93–94 Graves, though at least Graves was a sneaky two-way guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad