Post-Game Talk: Go Green

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Have to start stacking lines. Try Larkin with Datsyuk. Keep Helm/Richards away from Z and Dats. Maybe change up the Abby-Z combination which has been mediocre at best.

Blash is being way too patient.

I agree with this, depth creates itself, you don't create depth.

The Wings were at their best when they stacked their lines with Datsyuk and Z in their prime. It's time to stack Tatar/Larkin/Nyquist.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
On paper it always looks like "first line: Z, second line: Dats".

Does anybody know if this is reality, in terms of ice time and quality of competition?

Because if so I don't understand why we haven't tried a stacked first line centered by Datsyuk. Give Z easier duties to set up scoring against weaker competition.

Maybe it works maybe it doesn't. But it seems worth a try. On the surface it looks like the one constant most of the season has been 1: Z, 2: D, and that's the most substantial line change we can make to shake things up.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
That goal was goalie interference.

It was a good goal. It should have counted and it did. The NHL got it right.

I am so sick of everyone crying about goalie interference on the most minor of things. Goals are down, the league in general is turning soft... it's becoming too soft for my liking. Let them play!

If goals are going down, then I want physical and gritty / mean plays going up; I want more havoc in front of the net.

I'm so glad NHL got it right.

pz29

Jun 18, 2015
It was a good goal. It should have counted and it did. The NHL got it right.

I am so sick of everyone crying about goalie interference on the most minor of things. Goals are down, the league in general is turning soft... it's becoming too soft for my liking. Let them play!

If goals are going down, then I want physical and gritty / mean plays going up; I want more havoc in front of the net.

I'm so glad NHL got it right.

Maybe you should watch wrestling or boxing then. There's plenty of "physical play" there. No goals, though.

Actual Thought*

I agree with this, depth creates itself, you don't create depth.

The Wings were at their best when they stacked their lines with Datsyuk and Z in their prime. It's time to stack Tatar/Larkin/Nyquist.

You need a coach that understands line structure, match ups, system, ect... You need a coach that understands that IT effects how players engage and perform. We clearly don't have that guy. Even the best players need to be placed in a position to succeed. That isn't happening under Blashill. It's just that simple.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
On paper it always looks like "first line: Z, second line: Dats".

Does anybody know if this is reality, in terms of ice time and quality of competition?

Because if so I don't understand why we haven't tried a stacked first line centered by Datsyuk. Give Z easier duties to set up scoring against weaker competition.

Maybe it works maybe it doesn't. But it seems worth a try. On the surface it looks like the one constant most of the season has been 1: Z, 2: D, and that's the most substantial line change we can make to shake things up.

zetterberg has faced slightly tougher quality of competition, datsyuk has played a bit more.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Maybe you should watch wrestling or boxing then. There's plenty of "physical play" there. No goals, though.

No, I prefer to watch hockey like I have done for the past 40 years. Hockey and its fans have become [soft].
Goals like that should count without question. Glad refs finally got one right.

Last edited by a moderator:

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
In other words you wonder why not all 30 teams have 82 wins and 0 losses.

Putting in an honest effort every night doesn't mean you'll win every game and nobody expects you to. I guess you've never played organized sports in your life, or you are one of those guys who is perfectly fine with just cruising along. That may explain why watching professional athletes play with no heart doesn't irritate you, but someone pointing it out does.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
I'm not sure if the calls against DeKeyser were valid or not but those two PP goals against really hurt. Maybe he was frustrated at not scoring on a not-quite-emtpy net. And then I think the forwards kind failed in their own zone. No one looked cohesive.

Larkin touching the puck for the too many men penalty was one of the more bone-headed plays I've seen all year.

Sheahan's giveaway was fantastic.

Tatar bringing the puck to the net and losing it off his stick was great.

Smith looked good in the O-zone again. Not great in his zone, but....

Gator was definitely first star for me.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
You need a coach that understands line structure, match ups, system, ect... You need a coach that understands that IT effects how players engage and perform. We clearly don't have that guy. Even the best players need to be placed in a position to succeed. That isn't happening under Blashill. It's just that simple.

Should've fired him and hired Torts when we had the chance. :rolleyes:

It's halfway though his rookie season as a coach in this league, you can't expect him to be Jack Adams right now. There's no reason to give up on him yet.

Actual Thought*

Should've fired him and hired Torts when we had the chance. :rolleyes:

It's halfway though his rookie season as a coach in this league, you can't expect him to be Jack Adams right now. There's no reason to give up on him yet.

We are watching him piss away a 25 year legacy. I have no patience for that. It was obvious he was a massive downgrade before he even started. The only way Blashill will ever see the Detroit Redwings win a cup is if he buys tickets.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
You go ahead and keep on believing Blashill is pissing away the Wings 25 year legacy, instead of the GM who has been asleep at the wheel since the 2009-2010 season. The GM who hired Blashill.

Actual Thought*

You go ahead and keep on believing Blashill is pissing away the Wings 25 year legacy, instead of the GM who has been asleep at the wheel since the 2009-2010 season. The GM who hired Blashill.

And you go ahead and believe that an automatic 1st ballot HOF GM has forgotten everything he knew about hockey to the degree that even you know better than he how to run a team. This roster is obviously better than last year's roster but the team is substantially worse. You keep telling yourself coaching doesn't matter.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
And you go ahead and believe that an automatic 1st ballot HOF GM has forgotten everything he knew about hockey to the degree that even you know better than he how to run a team. This roster is obviously better than last year's roster but the team is substantially worse. You keep telling yourself coaching doesn't matter.

The Wings' top 3 players are older, slower and less dynamic this year.

Their two most dynamic wingers, Nyquist and Tatar have both taken steps backwards.

The injuries and continue regression of Kronwall has negated any help that Green has brought.

Basically if you do the math what Larkin, Green and Mzarek are doing is being negated by injuries, age, and regression of almost the whole rest of the team.

Actual Thought*

The Wings' top 3 players are older, slower and less dynamic this year.

Their two most dynamic wingers, Nyquist and Tatar have both taken steps backwards.

The injuries and continue regression of Kronwall has negated any help that Green has brought.

Basically if you do the math what Larkin, Green and Mzarek are doing is being negated by injuries, age, and regression of almost the whole rest of the team.

The entire team has regressed. That is the symptom of a failing coaching staff. Meanwhile Toronto is ranked higher than Detroit in almost every statistical category.
GF/GA/PP/PK ect.... They are 4 wins behind Detroit with 2 games in hand. Blashill is incompetent.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
The entire team has regressed. That is the symptom of a failing coaching staff. Meanwhile Toronto is ranked higher than Detroit in almost every statistical category.
GF/GA/PP/PK ect.... They are 4 wins behind Detroit with 2 games in hand. Blashill is incompetent.

Great. Go follow Toronto then.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Do TVs only show the playoffs if your favorite team is in them?

Blaming Blashill for Tats and Gus' slumps is about as flaccid as it gets.

Actual Thought*

Do TVs only show the playoffs if your favorite team is in them?

Blaming Blashill for Tats and Gus' slumps is about as flaccid as it gets.

If only it were that simple. I don't think Tats' and Gus' slumps have made the entire team worse in every area. Quite the opposite actually.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago

Last season through 38 games Toronto had 45 points this year through 38 games they have 35 points. Even without Kessel there is at least a little talent on that roster.

Actual Thought*

Who would you have hired after Babcock left?
First I would have tried harder to keep Babcock. I wouldn't have gotten outbid by 30 million. I was never delusional enough to think Blashill was going to be an upgrade as many here clamored on about all last season. I never believed he was going to be this amazing fresh voice that was going to grant rebirth to Kindl, Smith, Jurco, ect... I never for a minute thought we needed a players coach and an offence first system and I never believed Babcock was holding back our prospects. If I was forced to promote from within I would have probably promoted Granato. I suspect he will be the interim when Blashill gets fired.

Actual Thought*

Last season through 38 games Toronto had 45 points this year through 38 games they have 35 points. Even without Kessel there is at least a little talent on that roster.

They have only played 36 games. They have nowhere near the talent Detroit has.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan

Super amazing GM hires worst coach in the history of hockey.

Am i understanding your position correctly?

Actual Thought*

Super amazing GM hires worst coach in the history of hockey.

Am i understanding your position correctly?

I will answer that when you tell me with your precise understanding of roster construction who is going to win the cup this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad