Post-Game Talk: [GM59] Canucks lose to Bruins | 1-3 | Boeser

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Not sure I share the opinions on how the Canucks played in this one......Once you get past four or five forwards on the Canucks, the lack of talent and skill basically falls off a cliff. Looked to me like a lot of scrambley play in the neutral zone most of the night.

Bruins looked to me like they expended the bare minimum to win this game. Full building again, which is a story in itself with a lottery bound team basically limping down the home stretch.

Silovs easily becoming one of the Canucks best prospect stories of the year. Conventional wisdom is that this 21-year old goalie needs another year in Abbotsford. But not if he keeps playing like this.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
So who sits for Kravtsov?

Dries?

Also you have to put him in a top 6 role otherwise it's pointless so that means Boeser has to be gone soon.

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
Enjoyed the game and like some positive developments

Silovs showing he has a future in the NHL after a shaky first game. This will be huge for his confidence going forward

Burroughs Brisebois and Wolanin did a great job considering they were down to 5 D and it was the Bruins. Wolanin looks legit which is what i had said when we got him that if he could get healthy he might be a huge sleeper. Too bad he had to basically win the AHL scoring race to finally get a look but i hope they can bring him back. Wouldnt mind as a 7/8 or at least in a training camp battle with Stillman for that last spot. Brisebois is a smart player that skates well and has good defensive fundamentals. Burroughs played pretty good considering the minutes but does look in over his head too often this year

Top line was buzzing. Too bad Pettersson missed that cross over play with Kuz that would have lit the building on fire. Beauvillier was flying and providing good support

Miller diidnt play much. i wonder if he got banged up. Boeser is such a slug. He strangely stops when he gets close to the play. Is he avoiding contact or just trying not to get burned by committing IDK but he plays in no mans land far too often. Glad he scored. Garland was ok but gets washed out against better teams nice set up and he almost always tries hard

Amen line was really effective tonight. Like the size and speed of that trio. They get sticks in lanes get in hard and can take pucks to the hard areas. Hard to believe Amen is only 22. Good pick up as he has some growth in that frame and plays such a good positional game

Dries Pod Raty didnt do much. Pod had lots of jump but needs to find a way to get shots off and not get stuck in the muck. Made a few really nice assertive plays but is playing with 2 guys out of their depth at the moment. Making steps but man 1 goal after 26 games ouch. We need him to be a core player and it's not trending that way unfortunately.

Hughes was a treat and is flying right now. He's also defending really well and creating turnovers. Him and Pettersson are worth the price of admission

Myers had mostly effective minutes and then would do what he does which is break down make bonehead decisions. Hopefully if he has to stay he gets platooned on a 3rd pair with a guy like Livingstone until we can flush him out or bury him in the press box.
Nils Amen - PLEASE get him some dedicated training time with the Sedins in the off season. He has decent wheels and could be our future 3C.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Studnicka is the answer, IMO.
That line was great. I wouldnt break it up.

Raty or Dries moves out to get Krav in IMO. Raty on merits but maybe a few more games gets the feet wet so he can raise his level for next camp or come in after the deadline next year permanently.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
I was wrong about Raty... ugh. He's on pace to be a project with how far behind the ball game he is for someone of his pedigree.

Didn't care much for the Bruins dunking on us tbh, mildly upset but at the end of the day they're the infinitely better team and they do things like that on the regular. That's the difference between an org that kept striving for excellent despite several humiliations leading up to 2011, while the Canucks panicked and became ruled by ego from a lesser man.

Actually, I just remembered Benning is a Bruins product... goddamnit.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Is there anyone on the Canucks bench who looks as glum after yet another loss than Quinn Hughes? He has that 1000-foot stare of a guy who is broken down by all the losses.

Hughes is playing his heart out 30-minutes a night, but his team often fails around him game after game. Hughes is signed through the 2026-27 season, but unless there's some dramatic breakthrough by this franchise, I'd be shocked if he ever re-upps there.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Is there anyone on the Canucks bench who looks as glum after yet another loss than Quinn Hughes? He has that 1000-foot stare of a guy who is broken down by all the losses.

Hughes is playing his heart out 30-minutes a night, but his team often fails around him game after game. Hughes is signed through the 2026-27 season, but unless there's some dramatic breakthrough by this franchise, I'd be shocked if he ever re-upps there.
EP too.

Miller for sure, but its a different reaction from him.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
I'm sorry to say this but once Bear went out and Hughes basically had to rotate through all three pairs the team looked amazing. OF course sometimes Quinn is not on but in this game he was effective in every zone, with basically EVERYONE as a partner. I also don't think it's a coincidence that Wolanin+any random Abby defender looked good. They just know each other a lot better but up here they have to play with Myers or Stillman or OEL. Together they tend to make simpler plays and I think Colliton has done a good job with that in Abby. They also tend to have more traditional positioning and know where the other guy is going to be. That's a huge advantage.

And we saw it tonight. Besides the 20 shots in the 1st period, they gave up only 15 more shots in the last two. That would have been only 21-22 shots in the whole game! I don't think you can dispute that the team just has a much better structure at ES now.

Honestly I think Quinn averaged out all the other defenders and we saw what this team could look like if we had 0.5 Hughes on all the pairs! And with just all journeymen defencemen! And it was effective - AGAINST THE BRUINS. A big factor was Myers was not as chaos-y as usual. Overall I think he played well but he didn't play as well as Burroughs, Wolanin, or Brisebois. That is pretty sad. Of course he broke down but the forwards now seem to understand that he is going to and I felt he had lots of forward help to gather in his random passes to nowhere.

Just so many different things under Tocchet that I like. Guys coming off the bench SKATE HARD into the play. Hardly any coasting between the benches. Most guys had their motor up, including Miller.

I hate to rain on this Silovs parade, but I thought team defence has basically carried him in the last two games. People saying he should be the backup next year are misguided IMO. He only had to make 5-6 difficult saves, and I'd say only about 2-3 excellent ones. Delia could have gotten the same result if the team plays this soundly.

I think Clark has done a great job on his fundamentals - they've basically built him from the ground up since he arrived from Latvia. The Abby coach I think has done a great job mixing in another perspective that has saved him from some of the issues that Demko, Martin, and Delia have fallen prey to in terms of technique.

Thing is, whenever Marchand or Zacha or Hall got an "open shot" type release, they hit the post and he was slow to react. That's why I don't think this game showed us whether he can make high saves on uncontested slots. So many of the 35 shots were from well out, and I expect any goalie with talent to stop most of those. Of course it's no small feat at the NHL level to make ALL the routine stops he did but I'm not sure he would stand up to the barrage of quality chances we have been giving up about 5 games ago.

I notice he was excellent on bang-bang plays that were low shots - in those cases he does well because he is still a very instinctive goalie and his crease movement has been good. He also tends to keep his feet a lot better than our other guys and doesn't lean towards the post as much which gives him a more powerful drive into positions - which he used well on tip plays. Clark may have caught up a bit because I notice Delia is not dropping as much either lately.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
The process as far as playing more like a 5 man unit is moving in the right direction, that's whats most important. (And a loss for the tank).

Boston is an incredible team and we competed with them admirably for much of the game. No issues with the game tonight.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Every goalie I know would try to score in that situation. I didn't think it was disrespectful, basically every guy with good enough puckhandling skills has it in their minds that they're going to try to score with an empty net. Usually with the 6-5 there's not enough opportunity to do so but Boeser's soft tip set up this situation.

They iced it the play before so they obviously weren't being that cautious being only 1 goal up.

Of course this is typical Canucks luck to have one of the only goalie goals scored on us.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Lol!....the first goalie goal in Bruins franchise history, one of the oldest in the NHL....and of course it has to come against the Canucks.....naturally.

Thank God we only play this team a couple of times a year.....and they won't meet in another Stanley Cup final in my lifetime.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Pretty lazy game from the Bruins.

They coasted through 2 periods. Canucks were pretty lucky to get one goal.

While Boston didn't overwhelm the Canucks they didn't really give them much either, just played a tight easy game.

They had fun.

Reactions: Orr4Norris

Orr4Norris

Mar 2, 2018
Are we falling for this again? Look how well we played against a team like the Bruins?

Their goalie stepped out of his net to try for a a goalie goal with only a one goal lead. That’s the amount of respect they afforded the Canucks lol. They were never worried about getting their 2 pts.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
The Joshua/Aman/Studnicka line looks very effective last night..Seemed to me that they were spending the majority of the game in the o zone.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
It just seems that every game with the Bruins the Canucks get another humiliating face-washing.

Last night it was the winning goal by that player Rogers Arena loves to hate--Brad Marchand--and then a 'goalie goal'.

A hangover from the '011 Cup Final I guess, although just another example of two teams at the top and the bottom of the NHL thermometer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad