Pre-Game Talk: GM07 | Vancouver Canucks vs Pittsburgh Penguins | Sat. Oct 26th | 7pm PST | HNIC | Kevin Corsby

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
The rewriting of history in here is insane.

JT put up a top 10 scoring season, on a bottom 10 scoring team, outscoring his wingers combined. The largest gap over his closest teammate in the league.

EP has been demoted and moved to the wing for long stretches, by 3 straight coaches.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
The rewriting of history in here is insane.

JT put up a top 10 scoring season, on a bottom 10 scoring team, outscoring his wingers combined. The largest gap over his closest teammate in the league.

EP has been demoted and moved to the wing for long stretches, by 3 straight coaches.

What now? JT Miller played on Pettersson's wing, so much so that many people thought he wasn't really a center at times. It was called the 6-40-9 line. He did take the majority of faceoffs though. When did Pettersson ever play on the wing except for a handful of games last season?

You really need to back these numbers up with something, anything. It seems like you're just pulling things out of your ass.

Reactions: crowfish

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
What now? JT Miller played on Pettersson's wing, so much so that many people thought he wasn't really a center at times. It was called the 6-40-9 line. He did take the majority of faceoffs though. When did Pettersson ever play on the wing except for a handful of games last season?

You really need to back these numbers up with something, anything. It seems like you're just pulling things out of your ass.

I feel like Miller always played C with Pettersson but literally everyone was too attached to Pettersson being a young superstar C to notice.

Certainly whenever those guys have been reunited post-bubble (which has been a fair bit) Miller is the guy both taking faceoffs and handling the C defensive responsibilities.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
I feel like Miller always played C with Pettersson but literally everyone was too attached to Pettersson being a young superstar C to notice.

Certainly whenever those guys have been reunited post-bubble (which has been a fair bit) Miller is the guy both taking faceoffs and handling the C defensive responsibilities.

Up until this past season, JT was never known for his 200ft game. It has been taken as a major Tocchet success that he got JT to buy in. He's been good as the winger as it works to his strengths at puck retrievals and strong boards play.

Pettersson has always had solid two way numbers at center, extremely rare to see him miss an assignment. And yes, they've played a ton together, as Horvat was holding down that 2C spot until early 2023.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Up until this past season, JT was never known for his 200ft game. It has been taken as a major Tocchet success that he got JT to buy in. He's been good as the winger as it works to his strengths at puck retrievals and strong boards play.

Pettersson has always had solid two way numbers at center, extremely rare to see him miss an assignment. And yes, they've played a ton together, as Horvat was holding down that 2C spot until early 2023.

All this doesn't change who is actually playing C and since 2020 when I started really watching for this whenever the Lotto Line is together (which is probably 100 games) Miller is the guy playing C.

And knowing that, I question whether Pettersson was actually playing C in 19-20, given that Miller was taking all the face-offs.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
I was speaking more about their individual skill levels…Miller has less skill than EP but does more with what he has than Petey.

He’s always had Boeser as a constant pretty much but he’s also had PDG and Suter, not exactly high end talent.
Miller has the body though, that bod

All this doesn't change who is actually playing C and since 2020 when I started really watching for this whenever the Lotto Line is together (which is probably 100 games) Miller is the guy playing C.

And knowing that, I question whether Pettersson was actually playing C in 19-20, given that Miller was taking all the face-offs.
Miller was like the winger taking the draws, I mean it’s not that uncommon to have winger take draws.
Until last season, people were still debating if Miller is better as a winger or a center.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Miller has the body though, that bod

Miller was like the winger taking the draws, I mean it’s not that uncommon to have winger take draws.

Except, again, Miller has blatantly *NOT* been the 'winger taking the draws' in the 100-ish games that line has played together post-2020. He is the C, full stop.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Except, again, Miller has blatantly *NOT* been the 'winger taking the draws' in the 100-ish games that line has played together post-2020. He is the C, full stop.
I thought him moving to center happened like around BB. f*** I have no memories about the Covid season

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I thought him moving to center happened like around BB. f*** I have no memories about the Covid season

He was the C in the COVID season, which is when I started watching for it.

It's really weird in retrospect, but there was absolutely *zero* discussion in 19-20 of the Miller/Pettersson 'who is the C' thing or the faceoffs situation. Pettersson was the Calder-winning 1C and Miller was a winger we traded for and anything to the contrary wasn't even discussed despite what was happening on faceoffs.

I'm not saying Pettersson wasn't playing C that year but based on what we've seen since ... I have my doubts?

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Split the DeBrusk-Miller-Boeser line up.

They all play the same style, it’s why Suter-Miller-Boeser was so effective last year, a small quick skilled winger gave them a different dimension. But the Hoglander-Pettersson-Garland line has looked good without DeBrusk so not sure where to slot him. But the Miller-Boeser line looks worse with DeBrusk on it instead of Suter/Hoglander/Heinen.

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
I guess you can never underestimate a team with guys like Crosby, Malkin and Letang still in the lineup.

But coming off a late game in Edmonton on Friday; they could be running on fumes by the time they hit the ice Saturday at the Rog. Canucks need to get on them early.

Brock Boeser always seems to feast on the Pens. Time is right for that slumbering PP to come to life. And Brock is on a heater to start the season.

I heard this is all just him being lucky... or something to that effect

• Haha
Reactions: AlainVigneaultsGum

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
He was the C in the COVID season, which is when I started watching for it.

It's really weird in retrospect, but there was absolutely *zero* discussion in 19-20 of the Miller/Pettersson 'who is the C' thing or the faceoffs situation. Pettersson was the Calder-winning 1C and Miller was a winger we traded for and anything to the contrary wasn't even discussed despite what was happening on faceoffs.

I'm not saying Pettersson wasn't playing C that year but based on what we've seen since ... I have my doubts?
I mean Petey was basically injured that season, he was gone for the majority of it and we only had Miller and Bo left.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I mean Petey was basically injured that season, he was gone for the majority of it and we only had Miller and Bo left.

I'm talking about when they were playing together before Pettersson hurt his wrist mid-season.

Both guys were playing terribly - Miller in spaz mode and Pettersson in checked-out mode - but Miller looked like the guy doing the C stuff.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad