Pre-Game Talk: GM07 | Vancouver Canucks vs Pittsburgh Penguins | Sat. Oct 26th | 7pm PST | HNIC | Kevin Corsby

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I hope that’s not the case, but I get the logic given the off season moves. It should become pretty apparent after they play 2-3 games together that this isn’t going to work at even strength, especially with Soucy-Myers struggling with the same thing (in much higher leverage minutes).

Guys signed as UFAs to be regular roster players and who had promises made to them don't just get dropped for a guy from the AHL after 6 games, especially after a family issue.

While I think Forbort is a lousy fit and we'd probably be better off playing Brannstrom ... barring something absolutely insane you're never going to see an NHL team not give a new signing 10-20 games to get settled before they get dropped.

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
I’d say you’re in the minority. EP at his best is better offensively and defensively, overall, than JT. I also doubt he’s had his best season. But I do agree EP seems like he’s missing that competitive mental edge.

At no point in his career has EP ever been as good as any of JT's best 3-4 seasons as a Canuck. Even JT's first year when he had 72 points in 69 games, that was one of the most dominant seasons by Canuck I'd ever seen. He had nobody to play with really (everyone else sucked that year including Pettersson) and could win games single-handedly. Even when Pettersson had 102 points he did not have that kind of impact on the ice. And when Pettersson is at his worst (and this year is definitely NOT the worst that he has played), he is an active detriment to his team especially on the PP.

It's not just a matter of effort either, it's a matter of talent. JT is simply a superior playmaker, for example, and that has borne itself out over time.

• Haha
Reactions: AlainVigneaultsGum

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
EP needs to just shoot the puck. The guy has shown that he can score from anywhere with his wrist shot. It seems to have completely disappeared from his arsenal.

We've seen him make some really smooth passing plays recently but he just won't use his shot. Until he does, he won't have his game back.

If there was any argument that his injury is affecting his game, it's this, but I don't want to get into this clusterf*** of an argument here.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
At no point in his career has EP ever been as good as any of JT's best 3-4 seasons as a Canuck. Even JT's first year when he had 72 points in 69 games, that was one of the most dominant seasons by Canuck I'd ever seen. He had nobody to play with really (everyone else sucked that year including Pettersson) and could win games single-handedly. Even when Pettersson had 102 points he did not have that kind of impact on the ice. And when Pettersson is at his worst (and this year is definitely NOT the worst that he has played), he is an active detriment to his team especially on the PP.

It's not just a matter of effort either, it's a matter of talent. JT is simply a superior playmaker, for example, and that has borne itself out over time.

Do people actually believe that JT is a superior playmaker?

Pettersson has an incredible impact on the ice - even when he's not contributing offensively he's always in great position defensively.

We've never seen Pettersson just mail it on defensively as we've seen JT do for long periods of time. Like the guy just half assed it for half a season when he wasn't happy.

I love JT MIller but if either of the two could be called a baby during their respective careers as Canucks, it's him.

Reactions: credulous

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
I mean, of the 5 seasons that Miller and Pettersson have been teammates, Miller has been the better player in 4 of them and there can't really be much debate about it.
I mean the only reason Miller is paid less is because he is signed till he is 37 and the assumption is he will decline around 34. It’s really not fair to compare contracts that covers a player’s prime vs one that takes the player to retirement.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
I mean the only reason Miller is paid less is because he is signed till he is 37 and the assumption is he will decline around 34. It’s really not fair to compare contracts that covers a player’s prime vs one that takes the player to retirement.

MIller's contract was also signed in a flat cap environment, Pettersson's takes into account the huge increases we expect for the cap in the next handful of years.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
I mean, of the 5 seasons that Miller and Pettersson have been teammates, Miller has been the better player in 4 of them and there can't really be much debate about it.
I think it ultimately comes down to...Miller just does more with less...Petey has the innate natural skill to do more than anyone on the team, but hasn't figured out how to apply those skills in any consistent manner.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver

Marchand talking about the Vancouver media

Yea…..no

I simply disagree with what you said

Reactions: Ernie

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Do people actually believe that JT is a superior playmaker?

Pettersson has an incredible impact on the ice - even when he's not contributing offensively he's always in great position defensively.

We've never seen Pettersson just mail it on defensively as we've seen JT do for long periods of time. Like the guy just half assed it for half a season when he wasn't happy.

I love JT MIller but if either of the two could be called a baby during their respective careers as Canucks, it's him.
Yeah, it’s almost like many fans have goldfish memory.

JT has matured under Rick no doubt about that but let’s not forgot that he was literally a lazy ass bozo in his own zone under BB and Green.

My only complain about him now is his stupid ass cross ice pass on the PP that often gets intercepted. I think they need to let EP handles the puck more

Reactions: Ernie

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
Yeah, it’s almost like many fans have goldfish memory.

JT has matured under Rick no doubt about that but let’s not forgot that he was literally a lazy ass bozo in his own zone under BB and Green.

My only complain about him now is his stupid ass cross ice pass on the PP that often gets intercepted. I think they need to let EP handles the puck more

Pettersson is too timid with the puck on the PP right now. Won't shoot, won't make one time passes, just sends it back to Hughes on the point more often than not. The quick puck movement is just not there.

I'm cheering for this player but let's not discount how underwhelming his play has been. It's like he's doing the exact opposite things that have been his calling card.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004

Marchand talking about the Vancouver media

Ugh. My brain just won't reconcile everything that Marchand did in the 1st five years of his career with everything he's done in the last 5 years. One player is an absolutely disgusting rat, the other is one of the most level headed, respected, mature players in the game. It's bizarre.

I hope he writes a book one day or has a media career. I would absolutely love to see him on a panel with Bieksa.

Reactions: Vector

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
We doing this again?

images

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
I think it ultimately comes down to...Miller just does more with less...Petey has the innate natural skill to do more than anyone on the team, but hasn't figured out how to apply those skills in any consistent manner.
It’s hard to argue that when Miller has gotten better line mates.

Ugh. My brain just won't reconcile everything that Marchand did in the 1st five years of his career with everything he's done in the last 5 years. One player is an absolutely disgusting rat, the other is one of the most level headed, respected, mature players in the game. It's bizarre.

I hope he writes a book one day or has a media career. I would absolutely love to see him on a panel with Bieksa.
Still a rat on the ice

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Pettersson is too timid with the puck on the PP right now. Won't shoot, won't make one time passes, just sends it back to Hughes on the point more often than not. The quick puck movement is just not there.

I'm cheering for this player but let's not discount how underwhelming his play has been. It's like he's doing the exact opposite things that have been his calling card.
I’m 99% confident that his lack of action on the PP was by designed. They designed it so Quinn and JT touch the puck majority of the time

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
I’m 99% confident that his lack of action on the PP was by designed. They designed it so Quinn and JT touch the puck majority of the time

I doubt they've designed the power play so that their $12m player doesn't do things.

Reactions: MS

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
He has...but he's also earned them.
Petey put up 100+ points with Kuz and a mix of random ass wingers, I think there is faith that Petey can lift crap up and make things work. That kinda worked until it didn't after he got injured and we end up with this version of Petey.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
Petey put up 100+ points with Kuz and a mix of random ass wingers, I think there is faith that Petey can lift crap up and make things work. That kinda worked until it didn't after he got injured and we end up with this version of Petey.
They all kind had a good run together with the Lotto Line...and Miller has had good chemistry with Boeser (and a bunch of mediocre LW'ers), so why mess with it? It certainly would be nice to have a higher quality winger for Petey, but Garland has been doing well and I think he's a good complimentary piece, if Joshua can come back and get to good form it's a good placeholder 2nd line until they can dig up some more talent from somewhere.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I guess you can never underestimate a team with guys like Crosby, Malkin and Letang still in the lineup.

But coming off a late game in Edmonton on Friday; they could be running on fumes by the time they hit the ice Saturday at the Rog. Canucks need to get on them early.

Brock Boeser always seems to feast on the Pens. Time is right for that slumbering PP to come to life. And Brock is on a heater to start the season.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
They all kind had a good run together with the Lotto Line...and Miller has had good chemistry with Boeser (and a bunch of mediocre LW'ers), so why mess with it? It certainly would be nice to have a higher quality winger for Petey, but Garland has been doing well and I think he's a good complimentary piece, if Joshua can come back and get to good form it's a good placeholder 2nd line until they can dig up some more talent from somewhere.
well the original point was that Miller had to do more with less when he never actually had to do that. Miller played with Petey and Boeser and then with Boeser ever after. He never had to go through a rotation of mid wingers and make it work.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
well the original point was that Miller had to do more with less when he never actually had to do that. Miller played with Petey and Boeser and then with Boeser ever after. He never had to go through a rotation of mid wingers and make it work.

I was speaking more about their individual skill levels…Miller has less skill than EP but does more with what he has than Petey.

He’s always had Boeser as a constant pretty much but he’s also had PDG and Suter, not exactly high end talent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad