Pre-Game Talk: GM07 | Vancouver Canucks vs Pittsburgh Penguins | Sat. Oct 26th | 7pm PST | HNIC | Kevin Corsby

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Where is this coming from? Your own recollection?

Why would they list Pettersson as the C if Miller was taking draws AND playing the position as well? Did Miller also play C when he was with Horvat?

This smells like something you thought up just today but I'd love to see something that says otherwise. Even one of your own write-ups would suffice, surely you would have noticed and made mention?

I’ve talked about this for ages. Here’s a post about it from March 2022. Of note, this is a game where Pettersson was playing on Horvat’s wing. And I don’t think it was disputed that Horvat was the C.

And I’ve been watching for this for years, too. And Miller is the C when the Lotto Line plays together. Always, for years.

Those lineup listings are pointless. They listed Gaudette as the 3C playing 10 minutes/game and Beagle the 4C playing 15.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
I’ve talked about this for ages. Here’s a post about it from March 2022.

And I’ve been watching for this for years, too. And Miller is the C when the Lotto Line plays together. Always, for years.

Those lineup listings are pointless. They listed Gaudette as the 3C playing 10 minutes/game and Beagle the 4C playing 15.

So you link to a post in 2022 where you are casting doubt on whether Pettersson played center in 2019 but now you are now saying he indeed played center in 2019 but it wasn't until later he wasn't playing center?

This is flimsy at best. But it does show you haven't liked this player for quite some time.

The order of the lines are subjective (obviously), but they get the positions correct. It's not like Gaudette wasn't playing C there.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
So you link to a post in 2022 where you are casting doubt on whether Pettersson played center in 2019 but now you are now saying he indeed played center in 2019 but it wasn't until later he wasn't playing center?

This is flimsy at best. But it does show you haven't liked this player for quite some time.

The order of the lines are subjective (obviously), but they get the positions correct. It's not like Gaudette wasn't playing C there.

I never said he played C in 2019. I said I wasn’t sure because the way the whole thing was treated was so weird and because it was quite blatant that Miller was playing C when Pettersson was listed as the C in ensuing years.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
I never said he played C in 2019. I said I wasn’t sure because the way the whole thing was treated was so weird and because it was quite blatant that Miller was playing C when Pettersson was listed as the C in ensuing years.

Ugh, anyways, weird sidetrack for a game thread and @Vector is probably already annoyed at us. Anyways, no real evidence Pettersson was ever shifted to the wing for any significant stretch of time, but Miller was in fact playing on Horvat's wing for significant stretches.

Reactions: Vector

Flik

Canucks fan for life
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2010
Vancouver, WA
They all kind had a good run together with the Lotto Line...and Miller has had good chemistry with Boeser (and a bunch of mediocre LW'ers), so why mess with it? It certainly would be nice to have a higher quality winger for Petey, but Garland has been doing well and I think he's a good complimentary piece, if Joshua can come back and get to good form it's a good placeholder 2nd line until they can dig up some more talent from somewhere.

I sincerely hope Joshua gets some serious top 6 time once he's settled in.

• Love
Reactions: AlainVigneaultsGum

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Ugh, anyways, weird sidetrack for a game thread and @Vector is probably already annoyed at us. Anyways, no real evidence Pettersson was ever shifted to the wing for any significant stretch of time, but Miller was in fact playing on Horvat's wing for significant stretches.

But as demonstrated in my last post, we also know that Pettersson played on Horvat's wing at times so it's neither here nor there for one vs. the other.

What I know is this : Pettersson was listed as a C in 19-20 but Miller took all the draws. There was literally zero discussion of this situation at the time as everyone just listed Pettersson as our 1C. However, in 2021 and 2022 when that line played together, it became obvious that Miller was actually fully playing C, and not just on faceoffs. And I'm unsure if that meant that they switched roles somewhere along the way after that season, or if Miller was really the C all along but nobody really wanted to touch the fact that our franchise #1C had been moved to wing.

I don't really want to go back and watch Benning-era games so whatever. We can pick this up again the next time the Pettersson thread is open.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
But as demonstrated in my last post, we also know that Pettersson played on Horvat's wing at times so it's neither here nor there for one vs. the other.

What I know is this : Pettersson was listed as a C in 19-20 but Miller took all the draws. There was literally zero discussion of this situation at the time as everyone just listed Pettersson as our 1C. However, in 2021 and 2022 when that line played together, it became obvious that Miller was actually fully playing C, and not just on faceoffs. And I'm unsure if that meant that they switched roles somewhere along the way after that season, or if Miller was really the C all along but nobody really wanted to touch the fact that our franchise #1C had been moved to wing.

I don't really want to go back and watch Benning-era games so whatever. We can pick this up again the next time the Pettersson thread is open.

I would disagree you demonstrated any such thing! It would be great if you could find some evidence that it was the case aside from your memory. The media can be idiots but I think someone would have mentioned that Pettersson was regularly forechecking or covering the points in the d-zone because it would have been noticeable.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I would disagree you demonstrated any such thing! It would be great if you could find some evidence that it was the case aside from your memory. The media can be idiots but I think someone would have mentioned that Pettersson was regularly forechecking or covering the points in the d-zone because it would have been noticeable.

The post I quoted is literally from a GDT where Pettersson played wing on Horvat’s line and that fact is being discussed.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
The post I quoted is literally from a GDT where Pettersson played wing on Horvat’s line and that fact is being discussed.

Didn't read the posts around the one you linked to, but looking back at it Vector mentioned it was because Pettersson had a wrist injury and that's why he was on the wing.

Natural Stat Trick says Pettersson and Horvat played ~200 mins together during this time period, and Miller and Horvat played ~500 mins. Hard to say how much of that was mishmashed lines due to penalty kills, partial line changes, etc though.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Didn't read the posts around the one you linked to, but looking back at it Vector mentioned it was because Pettersson had a wrist injury and that's why he was on the wing.

I don’t think that was the case because this is over a year after his wrist injury and he’d been taking faceoffs most of that year (more than twice as many face offs than his previous two years before the injury combined) until March/April when he stopped when he was playing with Miller or Horvat.

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
Miller was always the C for the lotto line. 649 is a cute nickname, not meant to be taken literally, Turn on the TV, watch the games. Penciled lineups are meaningless compared to who actually does what.

JT was only a true winger here when playing with Horvat, everyone complained, though Bo was in the running for the rocket over that stretch.

EP line was defacto 3rd line for huge stretches under both Bruce and Toch.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
Miller was always the C for the lotto line. 649 is a cute nickname, not meant to be taken literally, Turn on the TV, watch the games. Penciled lineups are meaningless compared to who actually does what.

JT was only a true winger here when playing with Horvat, everyone complained, though Bo was in the running for the rocket over that stretch.

EP line was defacto 3rd line for huge stretches under both Bruce and Toch.

Lol after making some ridiculous, easily disproven claims in your previous post in this thread, you're back for more I see.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I’m really not interested in going back through old threads and searching injury histories.

My recollection was Miller and Pettersson were trading duties on who covered centre during that period. I don’t think it matters if that recollection is correct.

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
When JTM was struggling in the 22-23 season I went back and looked at some random videos and there are instances where both seems to be playing as the low man.

Like if you look here it's Petey playing as the high forward receiving the pass (which he then sends to Miller skating out of the zone from behind the play, presumably because he was the low forward). And here's another where Petey and Boeser are forechecking in the o-zone (presumably as a winger would), and Miller comes in from a higher position to pick up the loose puck.

But then there's this clip where Petey is in the C position in the d-zone. And these back and forths were what I saw in the random 20-21 game highlights as well.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
Weird thread filled with a bunch of who cares.

It doesn't matter who is "better" between JTM and EP40. We can't a Cup without both playing their best when it matters.

C vs W discussion is also redundant. It's more about F1, F2, F3 now than C, LW, RW.

I'm not worried about EP. Seeing good effort especially defensively. Starting to gel with his linemates and is being more decisive with the puck.Juat needs to refind his willingness to shoot the puck and he'll be back.

I'm fully confident he'll be a PPG player by GM20 and a 100 point player by GM80.

Looking forward to Saturday. Too few games spread out too far. Looking to see the PP start putting good games together, and to see the DZ coverage take a step.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad